bwesley7

Default Dilution and sweetening

I've got a 3-gallon batch of strawberry that has been previously sweetened
and stabilized. I think it would improve with a bit of dilution, and more
sugar. (Through an earlier thread, I'm confident that the additional
sweetening can be done without needing more stabilizer). After several
taste-tests, it appears that the dilution would equal 1/2-cup of water per
750-ml bottle, and the added sweetening would be 1 teaspoon per bottle. It
seems that I could accomplish the dilution/sweetening with minimal handling
of the wine by simply adding the water and sugar to each bottle, then
filling the bottle in the usual manner. Any problems with this simplistic
approach?

Thanks,

Bart

Greg Cook

On 2/23/04 4:47 PM, in article ftv_b.2338$TT5.2200@lakeread06, "bwesley7"
> wrote:

> I've got a 3-gallon batch of strawberry that has been previously sweetened
> and stabilized. I think it would improve with a bit of dilution, and more
> sugar. (Through an earlier thread, I'm confident that the additional
> sweetening can be done without needing more stabilizer). After several
> taste-tests, it appears that the dilution would equal 1/2-cup of water per
> 750-ml bottle, and the added sweetening would be 1 teaspoon per bottle. It
> seems that I could accomplish the dilution/sweetening with minimal handling
> of the wine by simply adding the water and sugar to each bottle, then
> filling the bottle in the usual manner. Any problems with this simplistic
> approach?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bart

It sounds ok. But, since you are diluting it, you will also be diluting the
concentration of sorbate. So, you may want to adjust by adding a little bit.
The other thread I believe was referring to just adding more sugar - which
should not change the concentration of sorbate significantly.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email)

bwesley7

You're right... Earlier I had added 1.5 tsp sorbate to the 3-gal batch.
Since I'm now contemplating adding approx 1/3-cup more sugar, would 1/2-tsp
sorbate be enough supplement?

Thanks,

Bart

"Greg Cook" > wrote in message
water per
> > 750-ml bottle, and the added sweetening would be 1 teaspoon per bottle.

It
> > seems that I could accomplish the dilution/sweetening with minimal

handling
> > of the wine by simply adding the water and sugar to each bottle, then
> > filling the bottle in the usual manner. Any problems with this

simplistic
> > approach?

> It sounds ok. But, since you are diluting it, you will also be diluting

the
> concentration of sorbate. So, you may want to adjust by adding a little

bit.
> The other thread I believe was referring to just adding more sugar - which
> should not change the concentration of sorbate significantly.
>
> --
> Greg Cook
> http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine
>
> (remove spamblocker from my email)

Glen Duff

Bart,

I've only made a few non-grape wines and those were a long time ago.

However, I would personally be reluctant to dilute any wine since I feel
that a better result might be had by blending with another wine although
this may not be practical for you at this time. Your preference as
determined by taste testing is the best guide and it seems like you've
already done that. A second opinion on the taste and level of dilution
might be helpful as well.

Good luck,

Glen Duff
-------------

bwesley7 wrote:

> I've got a 3-gallon batch of strawberry that has been previously sweetened
> and stabilized. I think it would improve with a bit of dilution, and more
> sugar. (Through an earlier thread, I'm confident that the additional
> sweetening can be done without needing more stabilizer). After several
> taste-tests, it appears that the dilution would equal 1/2-cup of water per
> 750-ml bottle, and the added sweetening would be 1 teaspoon per bottle. It
> seems that I could accomplish the dilution/sweetening with minimal handling
> of the wine by simply adding the water and sugar to each bottle, then
> filling the bottle in the usual manner. Any problems with this simplistic
> approach?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bart

Greg Cook

On 2/23/04 7:21 PM, in article vJx_b.2356$TT5.246@lakeread06, "bwesley7"
> wrote:

> You're right... Earlier I had added 1.5 tsp sorbate to the 3-gal batch.
> Since I'm now contemplating adding approx 1/3-cup more sugar, would 1/2-tsp
> sorbate be enough supplement?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bart

Well, I haven't done the calculation, but if you figure out how much more
volume you will add - then you can add sorbate in a proportionate amount.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email)

Tom

Personally Bart, I'll never change anything in my wine at bottling time
again.

Twice I have made changes and used that method, and twice I have had
unexpected renewed fermentations. Now if I sterile filtered maybe I would
rethink that but I'll take time anyday over trying to cut any corners.

I would dilute and adjust sugar, SO2 etc during a racking and then watch it
for a couple of months. Although I agree with a previous poster regarding
blending rather then diluting, but thats another arguement.

Tom
"bwesley7" > wrote in message
> I've got a 3-gallon batch of strawberry that has been previously sweetened
> and stabilized. I think it would improve with a bit of dilution, and more
> sugar. (Through an earlier thread, I'm confident that the additional
> sweetening can be done without needing more stabilizer). After several
> taste-tests, it appears that the dilution would equal 1/2-cup of water per
> 750-ml bottle, and the added sweetening would be 1 teaspoon per bottle.

It
> seems that I could accomplish the dilution/sweetening with minimal

handling
> of the wine by simply adding the water and sugar to each bottle, then
> filling the bottle in the usual manner. Any problems with this simplistic
> approach?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bart

bwesley7

Thanks to all for the advice and assistance. I will certainly consider it
all before taking any irreversible action!

Bart