Insprucegrove

Default Bulk vs Bottle Aging

We all know the more time you allow the wine to develop, the better the
result.However, I only have so many carboys sitting around, and by bottling
some of them, I can start the "next generation".

So, is there a siginificant difference in the results between letting it bulk
age in the carboy, or does aging in the bottle do the more or less the same.
(These are red kits for the most part, and one port).

K.J.Kristiansen

Stored at the same temperature and conditions there should be no
difference. I have seen discussions pointing to the difference in air
exposure and liquid surface (total surface larger in bottles). But I
have never read any substantial arguments which can explain any
difference. maybe a test would be interesting?

4nospam (Insprucegrove) wrote in message >...
> We all know the more time you allow the wine to develop, the better the
> result.However, I only have so many carboys sitting around, and by bottling
> some of them, I can start the "next generation".
>
> So, is there a siginificant difference in the results between letting it bulk
> age in the carboy, or does aging in the bottle do the more or less the same.
> (These are red kits for the most part, and one port).

Tom S

"K.J.Kristiansen" > wrote in message
om...
> Stored at the same temperature and conditions there should be no
> difference. I have seen discussions pointing to the difference in air
> exposure and liquid surface (total surface larger in bottles). But I
> have never read any substantial arguments which can explain any
> difference. maybe a test would be interesting?

That's been done already. The results show that wine in large format
bottles ages more slowly and gracefully than the same wine in small bottles.

Although the large bottles obviously have more surface area of glass than
small bottles, they offer less surface area per unit volume of contents
[wine]. Surface effects between the glass and wine may play a part in the
maturation of the latter, but that is unknown at this time. Another effect
to consider is that large containers tend to buffer the effects of
temperature changes in the local environment [cellar].

Tom S

Insprucegrove

>That's been done already. The results show that wine in large format
>bottles ages more slowly and gracefully than the same wine in small bottles.

Since I need the carboys, I think I will let some of my kits age in bottles
then. Not sure I care if my port and a few cheap kits age "gracefully"--if they
age a little quicker in bottles, so much the better!
Lum

"Insprucegrove" > wrote in message
> We all know the more time you allow the wine to develop, the better the
> result.However, I only have so many carboys sitting around, and by

bottling
> some of them, I can start the "next generation".
>
> So, is there a siginificant difference in the results between letting it

bulk
> age in the carboy, or does aging in the bottle do the more or less the

same.
> (These are red kits for the most part, and one port).

Most red wines require 6-12 months of aging to develop "bottle" bouquet
after the last exposure to oxygen, and wine is exposed to much air-oxygen
when it is bottled. Bottle bouquet generally does not develop in wine
stored in bulk containers because of periodic exposures to air-oxygen.

lum

Denis Marier

I have two carboys (23L) ready to be bottled. If I decide to prolong aging
in the carboys, should I leave the airlocks on or cap the carboys airtight.
I have noticed that after two months in the carboy the air lock on the white
wine is still releasing a bubble or two out every day. Another thing is
should the wine be racked at scheduled intervals during bulk aging?

"Lum" > wrote in message

> "Insprucegrove" > wrote in message
> > We all know the more time you allow the wine to develop, the better the
> > result.However, I only have so many carboys sitting around, and by

> bottling
> > some of them, I can start the "next generation".
> >
> > So, is there a siginificant difference in the results between letting it

> bulk
> > age in the carboy, or does aging in the bottle do the more or less the

> same.
> > (These are red kits for the most part, and one port).
> >

> Most red wines require 6-12 months of aging to develop "bottle" bouquet
> after the last exposure to oxygen, and wine is exposed to much air-oxygen
> when it is bottled. Bottle bouquet generally does not develop in wine
> stored in bulk containers because of periodic exposures to air-oxygen.
>
> lum

Dar V

I keep a bung and airlock on my carboys during bulk aging. And I will rack
during bulk aging if the wine drops a lot of sediment.
Darlene

"Denis Marier" > wrote in message
> I have two carboys (23L) ready to be bottled. If I decide to prolong aging
> in the carboys, should I leave the airlocks on or cap the carboys

airtight.
> I have noticed that after two months in the carboy the air lock on the

white
> wine is still releasing a bubble or two out every day. Another thing is
> should the wine be racked at scheduled intervals during bulk aging?
>
> "Lum" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Insprucegrove" > wrote in message
> > > We all know the more time you allow the wine to develop, the better

the
> > > result.However, I only have so many carboys sitting around, and by

> > bottling
> > > some of them, I can start the "next generation".
> > >
> > > So, is there a siginificant difference in the results between letting

it
> > bulk
> > > age in the carboy, or does aging in the bottle do the more or less the

> > same.
> > > (These are red kits for the most part, and one port).
> > >

> > Most red wines require 6-12 months of aging to develop "bottle" bouquet
> > after the last exposure to oxygen, and wine is exposed to much

air-oxygen
> > when it is bottled. Bottle bouquet generally does not develop in wine
> > stored in bulk containers because of periodic exposures to air-oxygen.
> >
> > lum

Don S

> I have two carboys (23L) ready to be bottled. If I decide to prolong aging
> in the carboys, should I leave the airlocks on or cap the carboys airtight.
> I have noticed that after two months in the carboy the air lock on the white
> wine is still releasing a bubble or two out every day.

Leave an airlock on them as the volume will change with
temperature and some people say a sealed carboy can even
burst. The level can swing in the neck of a 23l carboy
about 1 cm for each degree Celsius.

The bubbles could be the out gassing of the CO2, I've never
watched my bubble count after putting them into bulk aging.
Could it be an ML?

Don
Denis Marier

Thanks to every one for the information.
Just how long would you age, in a glass carboy, wine made with concentrate.

"Don S" > wrote in message
om...
> > I have two carboys (23L) ready to be bottled. If I decide to prolong

aging
> > in the carboys, should I leave the airlocks on or cap the carboys

airtight.
> > I have noticed that after two months in the carboy the air lock on the

white
> > wine is still releasing a bubble or two out every day.

> Leave an airlock on them as the volume will change with
> temperature and some people say a sealed carboy can even
> burst. The level can swing in the neck of a 23l carboy
> about 1 cm for each degree Celsius.
>
> The bubbles could be the out gassing of the CO2, I've never
> watched my bubble count after putting them into bulk aging.
> Could it be an ML?
>
> Don

Ray

Concentrates are very different from fresh fruit. Many of the whites I like
you and I would not age them over a month or two. I aged a Gewürztraminer
for 9 months and it became too mellow. It was much better at one month. I
have not made a red from concentrate that overly impressed me so I will let
someone else comment on it.

Ray

"Denis Marier" > wrote in message
> Thanks to every one for the information.
> Just how long would you age, in a glass carboy, wine made with

concentrate.

> "Don S" > wrote in message
> om...
> > > I have two carboys (23L) ready to be bottled. If I decide to prolong

> aging
> > > in the carboys, should I leave the airlocks on or cap the carboys

> airtight.
> > > I have noticed that after two months in the carboy the air lock on the

> white
> > > wine is still releasing a bubble or two out every day.

> > Leave an airlock on them as the volume will change with
> > temperature and some people say a sealed carboy can even
> > burst. The level can swing in the neck of a 23l carboy
> > about 1 cm for each degree Celsius.
> >
> > The bubbles could be the out gassing of the CO2, I've never
> > watched my bubble count after putting them into bulk aging.
> > Could it be an ML?
> >
> > Don

Denis Marier

I appreciate this chart. Thanks for taking the time to send this
attachment.
"atrebla2" > wrote in message
> Not exactly on topic but the attached file shows "Peak Aging" & "Shelf

Life"
> for kits from Wine Kitz, a Canadian u-brew company. The point is better
> kits peak later & reds later than whites, surprise, surprise!
>

> "Denis Marier" > wrote in message
> > I have two carboys (23L) ready to be bottled. If I decide to prolong

aging
> > in the carboys, should I leave the airlocks on or cap the carboys

> airtight.
> > I have noticed that after two months in the carboy the air lock on the

> white
> > wine is still releasing a bubble or two out every day. Another thing is
> > should the wine be racked at scheduled intervals during bulk aging?

> the
> > > bottling

letting
> it
> > > bulk

the
> > > same.
> > > >

> > > Most red wines require 6-12 months of aging to develop "bottle"

bouquet
> > > after the last exposure to oxygen, and wine is exposed to much

> air-oxygen
> > > when it is bottled. Bottle bouquet generally does not develop in wine
> > > stored in bulk containers because of periodic exposures to air-oxygen.
> > >
> > > lum

Aging In Bulk Vs Aging In Bottle jim Winemaking 12 04-09-2007 10:42 PM
Question on bulk aging arrassa Winemaking 1 05-05-2007 03:08 AM
bulk aging.... Cubanpole2 Winemaking 7 05-03-2004 05:04 PM
Thanks for Help on Bulk Aging Cubanpole2 Winemaking 0 04-03-2004 12:06 AM
Bulk aging pontiacgagt Winemaking 4 07-02-2004 11:02 AM