Bonaquisti

Default Letting wine kit wine breathe

The other night at dinner I opened a BK Australian Shiraz that I made over a
year ago. My sister (who likes her wine) commented that it had a "different"
smell, and tasted off and strong to her. It didn't taste bad to me, but did
have a cooked fruit aroma which I know alot of people here have mentioned
recently. I put the wine aside, and after desert I put a cork in the bottle
figuring I would drink it again the next day.

The next night my wife made dinner and poured me a glass of wine, after I
finished the glass, I said "what wine was that?, it was very good". She said
"Oh that is the open bottle of Shiaraz from last night". I was amazed at how
different and better it tasted, like a totally different wine. I didn't notice
the cooked fruit taste, and it tasted like a good commercial wine.

Anyone else experience this with a kit wine? Is the secret to getting rid of
the "cooked fruit" taste decanting??

Enjoy!
Paul
Pinky

The real trouble is that our taste sensations vary considerably from time to
time -- affected by all sorts of thins but particularly food. But a days
oxidisation might well have had a beneficial effect. Basically it won't have
hurt it with a young wine!
It is however very useful to open a bottle of young wine at least and hour
before drinking it -- the same applies to kit wines. it just smoothes the
rough edges a bit! We all, too often pull a cork and start slurping it
straight away!
It isn't just letting kit wine breathe but 99% of reds breath.

Sahartak!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England

"Bonaquisti" > wrote in message
> The other night at dinner I opened a BK Australian Shiraz that I made over

> year ago. My sister (who likes her wine) commented that it had a

"different"
> smell, and tasted off and strong to her. It didn't taste bad to me, but

did
> have a cooked fruit aroma which I know alot of people here have mentioned
> recently. I put the wine aside, and after desert I put a cork in the

bottle
> figuring I would drink it again the next day.
>
> The next night my wife made dinner and poured me a glass of wine, after I
> finished the glass, I said "what wine was that?, it was very good". She

said
> "Oh that is the open bottle of Shiaraz from last night". I was amazed at

how
> different and better it tasted, like a totally different wine. I didn't

notice
> the cooked fruit taste, and it tasted like a good commercial wine.
>
> Anyone else experience this with a kit wine? Is the secret to getting rid

of
> the "cooked fruit" taste decanting??
>
> Enjoy!
> Paul

Ray

I think you could have had this experience with a kit or fresh grape wine.
I have had wines that completely change their character after a few hours in
a glass. I often find that my full bodied reds are better left over for the
next night. This effect can often be obtained by pouring the wine into a
carafe and letting it sit for 30 min. to a couple of hours before drinking.
(Or not if your need is immediate. We all remember Jaws.)

Ray

"Bonaquisti" > wrote in message
> The other night at dinner I opened a BK Australian Shiraz that I made over

> year ago. My sister (who likes her wine) commented that it had a

"different"
> smell, and tasted off and strong to her. It didn't taste bad to me, but

did
> have a cooked fruit aroma which I know alot of people here have mentioned
> recently. I put the wine aside, and after desert I put a cork in the

bottle
> figuring I would drink it again the next day.
>
> The next night my wife made dinner and poured me a glass of wine, after I
> finished the glass, I said "what wine was that?, it was very good". She

said
> "Oh that is the open bottle of Shiaraz from last night". I was amazed at

how
> different and better it tasted, like a totally different wine. I didn't

notice
> the cooked fruit taste, and it tasted like a good commercial wine.
>
> Anyone else experience this with a kit wine? Is the secret to getting rid

of
> the "cooked fruit" taste decanting??
>
> Enjoy!
> Paul