Dan

Default Rhubarb Wine part 2

I did my first racking today, even though the recipe said to wait until it
started to clear. But it's been over a month since I started and thought
that it should be taken off the sediment.

The wine is sweet, yet tart. It's almost syurpy in texture. You can really
taste the rhubarb. It was a beautiful pink colour, but when I racked it with
pot met all the colour was stripped away. Too bad. From the colour and
sweetness, I was thinking a zinfandel-type wine was in the making.

Here's my procedure to date if anyone's interested:

Rhubarb Wine

30 lbs frozen rhubarb
14 litres cold water
1/2 tsp potassium metabisulphite

17 lbs finely granulated sugar
4 litres boiling water

450ml Realemon juice
2 tbsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp tannin
2 packages wine yeast

NOTE: If using pre-washed and ½" pre-cut frozen rhubarb (which is MUCH
easier to crush), be sure to thaw in a container since juice is sure to leak
from the bags.

October 10, 2003
Crush in a small container in small quantities with a piece of sterilized
hardwood. Divide equally between two primaries. (30 lb of rhubarb produced
22 lb of juice and 8 lb of pulp). For each primary, dissolve ¼ tsp potassium
metabisulphite in 1 litre of water and pour over rhubarb. Add an additional
6 litres of water to each primary. Stir. Cover primaries with a towel and
let sit for three days, stirring daily.

October 12, 2003
Dissolve 17 lbs of sugar in 4 litres of boiling water. Allow to cool.

Strain rhubarb through a nylon straining bag and squeeze as much liquid as
possible from the pulp. Discard pulp and return juice to a single large
primary. Stir in cooled sugar water, lemon juice, nutrient, and tannin.
Split equally between 2 glass carboys, pitch a package of yeast into each
and fit with blow-off hoses.
(When yeast was pitched, batch was at 70', so I put the heating coil around
them. There ended up being no foaming, so airlocks would have worked in lieu
of hoses.)
Starting TA was 7.0
Starting SG was 1.092

October 26, 2003
When fermentation settles down (5-7 days), set aside in cool place until
wine begins to clear.
(Been busy with work. Neglected wine, so heating coil was left on until
today. Wine is at 72/73 F. Airlocks put on instead of blow-off hoses. No
sign of clearing yet. Minimal activity in airlocks.)

November 16, 2003
Rack. SG is 0.994. Add ¼ tsp of pot met to each batch by dissolving in a cup
of wine first. Re-rack to fill an 18.9 litre carboy, five 2 litre pop
bottles, and one 1 litre pop bottle. Airlock put on carboy, caps put on pop
bottles. No sign of clearing yet, but thought wine should finally get off
the sediment.
(Wine is tart, yet sweet, somewhat syrupy in texture. Rhubarb flavour is
prominent. Pot met stripped away the beautiful rose colour!)

Greg Cook

On 11/16/03 5:11 PM, in article , "Dan"
> [...]

> October 26, 2003
> When fermentation settles down (5-7 days), set aside in cool place until
> wine begins to clear.
> (Been busy with work. Neglected wine, so heating coil was left on until
> today. Wine is at 72/73 F. Airlocks put on instead of blow-off hoses. No
> sign of clearing yet. Minimal activity in airlocks.)
>
> November 16, 2003
> Rack. SG is 0.994. Add ¼ tsp of pot met to each batch by dissolving in a cup
> of wine first. Re-rack to fill an 18.9 litre carboy, five 2 litre pop
> bottles, and one 1 litre pop bottle. Airlock put on carboy, caps put on pop
> bottles. No sign of clearing yet, but thought wine should finally get off
> the sediment.
> (Wine is tart, yet sweet, somewhat syrupy in texture. Rhubarb flavour is
> prominent. Pot met stripped away the beautiful rose colour!)

Dan,

Sounds like your wine is coming along just fine. A couple of comments --
don't worry about the color -- my rhubarb wine always comes out a light
white wine color with no hint of pinkness. I do use mostly greenish red
rhubarb though. But it is not surprising sulfite will affect some of the
color.

I would not recommend realemon in the future. Personally, I think it has a
terrible artificial flavor. In the future use acid blend or fresh squeezed
lemon juice to add acid. I think you will find the end produce will be
improved.

I'm surprised you describe your wine as syrupy sweet - with a SG of 0.994,
you shouldn't have any sugar left to speak of. Are you sure it is sweet and
not something else you are tasting? If it really is sweet, I suspect your
hydrometer measurements are not correct. Syrupy sweet means quite sweet to
me.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email)

Dan

Someone (perhaps it was you, Greg) mentioned that Realemon was a mistake
when I made a post after I started the batch. I'll know that for next time
though.

My hydrometer readings are good. When I say 'syrupy' I mean the way it feels
in the mouth as opposed to sweetness. It seems thick as opposed to watery.
Maybe some if this feel will go away once it clears.

"Greg Cook" > wrote in message
> [...]

> don't worry about the color -- my rhubarb wine always comes out a light
> white wine color with no hint of pinkness. I do use mostly greenish red
> rhubarb though. But it is not surprising sulfite will affect some of the
> color.
>
> I would not recommend realemon in the future. Personally, I think it has a
> terrible artificial flavor. In the future use acid blend or fresh squeezed
> lemon juice to add acid. I think you will find the end produce will be
> improved.
>
> I'm surprised you describe your wine as syrupy sweet - with a SG of 0.994,
> you shouldn't have any sugar left to speak of. Are you sure it is sweet

and
> not something else you are tasting? If it really is sweet, I suspect your
> hydrometer measurements are not correct. Syrupy sweet means quite sweet to

Greg Cook

On 11/17/03 4:43 PM, in article , "Dan"
> wrote:

> Someone (perhaps it was you, Greg) mentioned that Realemon was a mistake
> when I made a post after I started the batch. I'll know that for next time
> though.

Yep, that would be me!

> My hydrometer readings are good. When I say 'syrupy' I mean the way it feels
> in the mouth as opposed to sweetness. It seems thick as opposed to watery.
> Maybe some if this feel will go away once it clears.

Ah ok. Is it an unpleasant mouth feel? Usually I strive to get that kind of
body in my fruit wines.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email)

Dan

I tasted it during racking, so I only had a bit. I had about a cup or so
left over after racking, but the wife got into it and she drank it. I myself
can't comment any further on it, sorry. But I know she enjoyed it!

"Greg Cook" > wrote in message
> On 11/17/03 4:43 PM, in article , "Dan"
> > wrote:
>
> > Someone (perhaps it was you, Greg) mentioned that Realemon was a mistake
> > when I made a post after I started the batch. I'll know that for next

time
> > though.

> Yep, that would be me!
>

> > My hydrometer readings are good. When I say 'syrupy' I mean the way it

feels
> > in the mouth as opposed to sweetness. It seems thick as opposed to

watery.
> > Maybe some if this feel will go away once it clears.

> Ah ok. Is it an unpleasant mouth feel? Usually I strive to get that kind

of
> body in my fruit wines.
>
> --
> Greg Cook
> http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine
>
> (remove spamblocker from my email)

santos

what exactly is 'pot met' ?

"Dan" > wrote in message
news
> [...]

> When fermentation settles down (5-7 days), set aside in cool place until
> wine begins to clear.
> (Been busy with work. Neglected wine, so heating coil was left on until
> today. Wine is at 72/73 F. Airlocks put on instead of blow-off hoses. No
> sign of clearing yet. Minimal activity in airlocks.)
>
> November 16, 2003
> Rack. SG is 0.994. Add ¼ tsp of pot met to each batch by dissolving in a

cup
> of wine first. Re-rack to fill an 18.9 litre carboy, five 2 litre pop
> bottles, and one 1 litre pop bottle. Airlock put on carboy, caps put on

pop
> bottles. No sign of clearing yet, but thought wine should finally get off
> the sediment.
> (Wine is tart, yet sweet, somewhat syrupy in texture. Rhubarb flavour is
> prominent. Pot met stripped away the beautiful rose colour!)

Negodki

"santos" > wrote:
> what exactly is 'pot met' ?

Shorthand for potassium metabisulphite (K2S205).

Why are you using George W. Bosh's email address?

santos

he deserves spam more than i do i think From: Negodki
)"santos" > wrote:> what
exactly is 'pot met' ?Shorthand for potassium metabisulphite (K2S205).
Why are you using George W. Bosh's email address?
Post a follow-up to this message

news

Rhubarb wine John Hopwood Winemaking 14 24-08-2004 01:33 PM
Rhubarb Wine part 3 Dan Winemaking 12 12-02-2004 01:26 PM
Rhubarb Wine part 3 Dan Winemaking 0 31-01-2004 09:01 PM
Rhubarb Wine Part 1 Dan Winemaking 7 12-10-2003 08:20 PM
Rhubarb wine Dan Winemaking 0 05-10-2003 11:56 PM