seb

Default Grape from California

My grapes that I buy locally came from California but I don't know
exactly where within. I have mainly three producer. There are Terra
Bella, Cry Baby and Top Brass. These are the one I buy this year but I
have the opportunity to buy other brand too. The Top Brass are the
best quality fruits of all.

I would like to know if you know these producers and what you think
about the quality of the grape. Also can you give me some advice on
other good name/brand to buy for the best results. Next year I would
like to find the best quality fruit available to me locally or even
ordering it via a well known producer.

I live in Québec/Canada
Thanks, Séb
Richard Kovach

The last 2 years I bought mainly Pia and DiPalma grapes from the
central valley, purchased from the local (Calgary) Italian Super
Market. This year they didn't have any Syrah and I got tired of
calling them and being told it was in, only to drive there and find
out they only had Petite Sirah. So I went to Scarpone's instead and
bought their Top Brass Syrah instead. I wish I had waited for the
other grapes -- the Top Brass Syrah was the thinnest flavoured
compared to all the other grape wines I've done (last year Cab Sauv
and Valdepena, this year Zinfandel, Grenache, Alicante, Cab Sauv, Ruby
Cab and Merlot), and the lightest colored other than the Grenache
which shouldn't be very dark.

Cheers,
Richard

(seb) wrote in message . com>...
> My grapes that I buy locally came from California but I don't know
> exactly where within. I have mainly three producer. There are Terra
> Bella, Cry Baby and Top Brass. These are the one I buy this year but I
> have the opportunity to buy other brand too. The Top Brass are the
> best quality fruits of all.
>
> I would like to know if you know these producers and what you think
> about the quality of the grape. Also can you give me some advice on
> other good name/brand to buy for the best results. Next year I would
> like to find the best quality fruit available to me locally or even
> ordering it via a well known producer.
>
> I live in Québec/Canada
> Thanks, Séb

seb

(Richard Kovach) wrote in message . com>...
> The last 2 years I bought mainly Pia and DiPalma grapes from the
> central valley, purchased from the local (Calgary) Italian Super
> Market. This year they didn't have any Syrah and I got tired of
> calling them and being told it was in, only to drive there and find
> out they only had Petite Sirah. So I went to Scarpone's instead and
> bought their Top Brass Syrah instead. I wish I had waited for the
> other grapes -- the Top Brass Syrah was the thinnest flavoured
> compared to all the other grape wines I've done (last year Cab Sauv
> and Valdepena, this year Zinfandel, Grenache, Alicante, Cab Sauv, Ruby
> Cab and Merlot), and the lightest colored other than the Grenache
> which shouldn't be very dark.

Hey Richard, wich producer can you buy locally in Calgary? Do you have
the TerraBella, Crybaby ? Next year I will check for the Pia and
Dipalma but I don't remember seeing them in Montreal. I have only my
Cabernet Sauvignon from the Top Brass but they look very good by now.
The fruits was perfect quality, good color and taste nice so far. I'm
a bit surprise to hear that about the Top Brass but maybe it's not the
same quality with the Syrah !? For me, my Syrah are from Guerriero
Farms, Uva Di Colina and they are very good too but not more than a
correct table wine. So, for next year I would like to buy better
fruits whatever the price if I can found some to make some really good
quality wine difficult to dicern with commercial ones.

California Wine Grape Surplus shbailey Winemaking 0 11-07-2009 02:00 AM
Ode to a Grape Just Me[_2_] Wine 8 30-06-2009 03:47 PM
Grape Disease Identification Request - Grape Leaf Disease.jpg (0/1) Charles E Winemaking 8 30-05-2007 04:03 AM
california grape harvest....... Andy j. Winemaking 10 10-09-2004 04:32 AM
california grape harvest....... Andy j. Winemaking 0 11-08-2004 01:46 AM