-MAO-

Default Wine in watercontainers?

Dear All,

I want to store self-made wine in plastic watercontainers.
These watercontainers are sold by camping-stores and are made of clear plastic.
They are usefull to me because they can be folded and contain a tap.
Warren Place

On 10 Nov 2003, -MAO- wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I want to store self-made wine in plastic watercontainers.
> These watercontainers are sold by camping-stores and are made of clear plastic.
> They are usefull to me because they can be folded and contain a tap.

I've seen this done for table wines in europe for short-term
storage, but then again, they also drive Renault's over there. I'm not
sure that plastic provides enough oxygen barrier for unrefridgerated
storage or more than a few days.
Warren Place

Tom S

"-MAO-" > wrote in message
om...
> Dear All,
>
> I want to store self-made wine in plastic watercontainers.
> These watercontainers are sold by camping-stores and are made of clear

plastic.
> They are usefull to me because they can be folded and contain a tap.

They'd be OK for a camping trip, but no good for long term wine storage.
They're too gas permeable.

Tom S

Irene

In North America, winebags are available that are mylar and aluminum,
so that they are better at excluding air. They fold better than these
water containers, and taps are available. I think they come in 3L, 6L
and 10L sizes. If you want some help in getting these, please e-mail
me off list.

(-MAO-) wrote in message . com>...
> Dear All,
>
> I want to store self-made wine in plastic watercontainers.
> These watercontainers are sold by camping-stores and are made of clear plastic.
> They are usefull to me because they can be folded and contain a tap.

Chia Pet

"Irene" > wrote in message
om...
> In North America, winebags are available that are mylar and aluminum,
> so that they are better at excluding air. They fold better than these
> water containers, and taps are available. I think they come in 3L, 6L
> and 10L sizes. If you want some help in getting these, please e-mail
> me off list.
>
> (-MAO-) wrote in message

. com>...
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I want to store self-made wine in plastic watercontainers.
> > These watercontainers are sold by camping-stores and are made of clear

plastic.
> > They are usefull to me because they can be folded and contain a tap.

I brew my wine in 1 gal. spring water bottles, but they break from the
fermentation pressure periodically. No air exposure problem over a few
months, but the leakage loss is substantial (5-10%).

Stephen

My father has used those plastic fold up bags your talking about But they
always ended up breaking apart. I dont use anything that folds up. what I
have now is the plastic (3gal and 5gal) bottles from a water cooler. Seems
to be working great.
Steve

om...