Bruce

Default Secondary wine level

I understand from most sources that I should fill secondary carboys only 2/3
full. What is the reason for this level? No big foam or anything on top so
why not fill it up?

Negodki

"Bruce" > wrote:

> I understand from most sources that I should fill secondary carboys only

2/3
> full. What is the reason for this level? No big foam or anything on top

so
> why not fill it up?

A primary should have 25-40% headroom for the foaming that occurs during
fermentation. You should always top up a secondary.

Ray

A primary should be 2/3 full. A secondary should be almost full, probably
90%. Of course this depends on how early you rack to secondary. If you do
this early, then there will be more foam and the level should be lower. If
late you can fill it higher. The trick is that if it is not full, leave it
alone. If the fermentation slows and less CO2 is being released and then
you open it to test it, you put the wine at risk. Then you need to top up.

Ray

"Bruce" > wrote in message

> I understand from most sources that I should fill secondary carboys only

2/3
> full. What is the reason for this level? No big foam or anything on top

so
> why not fill it up?

Bruce

Thanks Negodki.....

Can you straighten me out on definitions: I let the must ferment for about
eight days in 18 gal tubs, pushing down the cap three times a day until the
major bubbles (foam)are gone and the sp is about 1.0. I have called this
stage "primary". Then I press the skins and put all in five gallon carboys
filled 3/4 to the top. I have called this stage "secondary". I put traps
on the carboys, and when all bubbles are gone and the lees are somewhat
settled, I rack to other carboys and top off. I don't call this stage
anything since I never knew what to call it, but maybe the start of
"aging".....

I have been confused by a publication which says "... your wine should be
pressed... [Then] funnel the wine into secondary fermentors, filling them
3/4 full."

Glad I am in good company here on the forum.....
Cheers,
Bruce

"Negodki" > wrote in message
> "Bruce" > wrote:
>
> > I understand from most sources that I should fill secondary carboys only

> 2/3
> > full. What is the reason for this level? No big foam or anything on

top
> so
> > why not fill it up?

> A primary should have 25-40% headroom for the foaming that occurs during
> fermentation. You should always top up a secondary.

Ray

Your terminology is good. I do not leave that much head in my secondary
though. You need enough head such that it will not bubble up into the
airlock and no more head. If the fermentation is going strong you need more
head and it is safe because of the CO2. If the fermentation is weak, you
need less head.

After racking off sediment in secondary to clean carboys, it is in "bulk
aging". No mater how many rackings you do after this, it is still bulk
aging until it goes into bottles.

Ray

"Bruce" > wrote in message

> Thanks Negodki.....
>
> Can you straighten me out on definitions: I let the must ferment for about
> eight days in 18 gal tubs, pushing down the cap three times a day until

the
> major bubbles (foam)are gone and the sp is about 1.0. I have called this
> stage "primary". Then I press the skins and put all in five gallon

carboys
> filled 3/4 to the top. I have called this stage "secondary". I put traps
> on the carboys, and when all bubbles are gone and the lees are somewhat
> settled, I rack to other carboys and top off. I don't call this stage
> anything since I never knew what to call it, but maybe the start of
> "aging".....
>
> I have been confused by a publication which says "... your wine should be
> pressed... [Then] funnel the wine into secondary fermentors, filling them
> 3/4 full."
>
> Glad I am in good company here on the forum.....
> Cheers,
> Bruce
>

> "Negodki" > wrote in message
> > "Bruce" > wrote:
> >
> > > I understand from most sources that I should fill secondary carboys

only
> > 2/3
> > > full. What is the reason for this level? No big foam or anything on

> top
> > so
> > > why not fill it up?

> > A primary should have 25-40% headroom for the foaming that occurs during
> > fermentation. You should always top up a secondary.

Negodki

"Bruce" > wrote:

> Can you straighten me out on definitions: I let the must ferment for about
> eight days in 18 gal tubs, pushing down the cap three times a day until

the
> major bubbles (foam)are gone and the sp is about 1.0. I have called this
> stage "primary". Then I press the skins and put all in five gallon

carboys
> filled 3/4 to the top. I have called this stage "secondary". I put traps
> on the carboys, and when all bubbles are gone and the lees are somewhat
> settled, I rack to other carboys and top off. I don't call this stage
> anything since I never knew what to call it, but maybe the start of
> "aging".....

Your terminology is correct. One can think in terms of "primary" and
"secondary" fermentations, in which case neither term applies to the stage
after the first racking. After that come "clearing", "fining", and "aging"
which overlap to some extent. And, of course, the most important stage is
"drinking" and "enjoying". It's also possible to think of everything after
the primary phase as secondary (storage).

> I have been confused by a publication which says "... your wine should be
> pressed... [Then] funnel the wine into secondary fermentors, filling them
> 3/4 full."

Typically, one presses (e.g. using a basket press) into a bucket or pail.
Then one uses a funnel to pour the pressed juice into a secondary. Or one
could press directly into the secondary, still using a funnel. I have a
threaded drain pipe on the bottom of my pres basket, and run clear plastic
tubing from the drain to my carboys. This reduces exposure to air and
insects, especially since I cover the entire press apparatus with clear
plastic while pressing. I like to squeeze out every last drop, and often
press gently for 12 hours or more! The other advantage is it's easy to
switch the hose to the next carboy when the first one is full.

Regardless, even my arrangement is "funneling": the press basket and tubing
are a functionally a funnel.