Dave Allyn

Default What do you do with your wine?

I know I am not a big drinker, but I don't understand what some of you
do with your wine. In the thred "what's fermenting" some people have
listed enough wine that is activly fermenting to make in excess of 200
bottles! I understand the joy is in the creating. that is for me
too. but what do you do with that much wine? that's almost a bottle
a day! some are even more. Is it more of a collection thing? never
to drink some of it? give away as presents?

Please understand. I am not trying to be critical. This is mearly
ignorance. I like to build things out of wood as well, those
projects I can always sell. even then I have a hard time finding
homes when I make more than I can use. I ultimatly had to slow down
the making, as there was no where to put them. how is this handled
with wine??

thanks in advance...

email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!
Charles H

Dave Allyn wrote:

> I know I am not a big drinker, but I don't understand what some of you
> do with your wine. In the thred "what's fermenting" some people have
> listed enough wine that is activly fermenting to make in excess of 200
> bottles! I understand the joy is in the creating. that is for me
> too. but what do you do with that much wine? that's almost a bottle
> a day! some are even more. Is it more of a collection thing? never
> to drink some of it? give away as presents?

Personally, I make wine with a few friends, and we split the results.
I'm kind of the brains behind the operation so to speak. We split the
results depening on who ponies up the cash for the
grapes/juice/equipment.

I'm also involving my parents as well... my father purchase a third of a
barrel of chardonnay that I am making.

I also plan to give some away as gifts as well, but when all is said and
done, I do drink quite more than the average amount of wine, on a slow
week I will drink 2 bottles, but on a good one 4 isn't out of the
question. My roommates and friends are usually partaking in some of the
wine I drink as well, so it's not all to myself :^)

--
charles

"Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were
forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."
- W.C. Fields
Negodki

"Dave Allyn" > wrote:

> I know I am not a big drinker, but I don't understand what some of you
> do with your wine. In the thred "what's fermenting" some people have
> listed enough wine that is activly fermenting to make in excess of 200
> bottles! I understand the joy is in the creating. that is for me
> too. but what do you do with that much wine? that's almost a bottle
> a day! some are even more. Is it more of a collection thing? never
> to drink some of it? give away as presents?
>
> Please understand. I am not trying to be critical. This is mearly
> ignorance. I like to build things out of wood as well, those
> projects I can always sell. even then I have a hard time finding
> homes when I make more than I can use. I ultimatly had to slow down
> the making, as there was no where to put them. how is this handled
> with wine??

Firstly, a 5-gallon batch will only yield about 4-gallons of wine, after all
the fining --- unless, of course, you top up, in which case you are
depleting your cellar supply, with the same volumetric effect. Then, there
is spillage and breakage and "quality assurance" sampling, and the
occasional batch that goes bad.

Secondly, a bottle a day is 365(.25) bottles per year, which is 73(.05)
gallons. Sounds like a lot? A bottle is only about 4 six-ounce glasses.
Many of us do have one or two glasses of wine with our meals and possibly
one or two more during the course of an evening. If there are two people in
the household who enjoy wine, a bottle a day is only 1/2 bottle per person.
This is not AA territory, IMO.

Thirdly, there are guests, parties (which can quickly empty a few cases),
and (as you mention) gifts.

And finally, one wishes to age their wine for a few years. Thus, during the
initial years of the hobby, one will be making more than one is consuming,
in order to build up a cellar. Eventually, after 4-6 years, one will slow
down "production" to match annual consumption.

When I started out making my own wine, I made a few one-gallon batches. When
they worked out successfully, I started making a new batch almost every
week --- whatever fruit was on sale that week became wine. Eventually, I
slowed down to fewer, but larger batches. In September, I make a few
ten-gallon batches of vinafera (Cabernet, Merlot, Sangiovese). In November,
I make a few ten-gallon batches of Scrumpy. In January, I make a few batches
from the Chilean grape harvest. In Spring, from Concord juice. And in late
summer, from Midnight Beauty "table grapes". And, I do a few 1-gallon
"experimentals" when I'm in the mood, or some sort of fruit falls my way.
That gives me my statutory 100 gallons, and a bit of spare time for enjoying
it.

Dar V

I probably produce small amounts compared to a lot of people on here, but I
do not have anything left from my first year. I'm working at setting up my
cellar. I don't drink that much either, but my friends like to try my wine
when we get together. My parents like this one wine I make, so I send
bottles home with them, or I take a bottle up when we visit. I also have a
couple of in-laws who like to drink wine too - so there goes a few more
bottles. For the first time this year, I'm giving a wine gift to those who
save their wine bottles for me. Believe me, it goes.... I'm up to making
about 12 gallons a year, which is the most I've ever made. Some of it needs
to sit for a year or two after bottling. The wine I have available to drink
is not as much as I would like. I will probably make more next year.
Darlene

"Dave Allyn" > wrote in message
> I know I am not a big drinker, but I don't understand what some of you
> do with your wine. In the thred "what's fermenting" some people have
> listed enough wine that is activly fermenting to make in excess of 200
> bottles! I understand the joy is in the creating. that is for me
> too. but what do you do with that much wine? that's almost a bottle
> a day! some are even more. Is it more of a collection thing? never
> to drink some of it? give away as presents?
>
> Please understand. I am not trying to be critical. This is mearly
> ignorance. I like to build things out of wood as well, those
> projects I can always sell. even then I have a hard time finding
> homes when I make more than I can use. I ultimatly had to slow down
> the making, as there was no where to put them. how is this handled
> with wine??
>
> thanks in advance...
>

> email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
> please respond in this NG so others
> can share your wisdom as well!

A.J. Rawls

I don't drink alcoholic beverages at all but friends and relatives
releive me of all I produce. I usually produce around 50 gallons per
year

Later,
A.J. Rawls
Anchorage, Alaska, USA

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:51:52 -0500, Dave Allyn >
wrote:

>I know I am not a big drinker, but I don't understand what some of you
>do with your wine. In the thred "what's fermenting" some people have
>listed enough wine that is activly fermenting to make in excess of 200
>bottles! I understand the joy is in the creating. that is for me
>too. but what do you do with that much wine? that's almost a bottle
>a day! some are even more. Is it more of a collection thing? never
>to drink some of it? give away as presents?
>
>Please understand. I am not trying to be critical. This is mearly
>ignorance. I like to build things out of wood as well, those
>projects I can always sell. even then I have a hard time finding
>homes when I make more than I can use. I ultimatly had to slow down
>the making, as there was no where to put them. how is this handled
>with wine??
>
>thanks in advance...
>

>email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
>please respond in this NG so others
>can share your wisdom as well!

Rick Vanderwal

you're right, Dave...
the joy is in the creating,
and the joy is also in the drinking..
and the joy is in the giving away of wine and having friends say: that was
GREAT!
my secretary tells me she likes mine better than the wine she buys at the
store.
what a compliment!
And the joy is in the collecting...
The joy is in the throwing away of stuff that's gone bad...
It's just fun...
Today I picked a few more concords to top off my juice at 6 gallons pressed,
processed juice...
But I left behind a whole bunch of grapes on the vine that a neighbour said
I could have as much as I wanted of....it was hard to let it go...but I can
only make so much,
and my wife also asks me: when's it going to stop...
Well, I have plans for raspberry, rhubarb, and maybe jalapeno wine...
jalapeno wine? yes, the joy is in the experimenting too!

That's for me, anyway.
Good question!
take care,
Cheers.
Rick Vanderwal
Fremont, MI

"Dave Allyn" > wrote in message
> I know I am not a big drinker, but I don't understand what some of you
> do with your wine. In the thred "what's fermenting" some people have
> listed enough wine that is activly fermenting to make in excess of 200
> bottles! I understand the joy is in the creating. that is for me
> too. but what do you do with that much wine? that's almost a bottle
> a day! some are even more. Is it more of a collection thing? never
> to drink some of it? give away as presents?
>
> Please understand. I am not trying to be critical. This is mearly
> ignorance. I like to build things out of wood as well, those
> projects I can always sell. even then I have a hard time finding
> homes when I make more than I can use. I ultimatly had to slow down
> the making, as there was no where to put them. how is this handled
> with wine??
>
> thanks in advance...
>

> email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
> please respond in this NG so others
> can share your wisdom as well!

Tim McNally

Fortunately, my wife may not drink as much as I, but she drinks more
regularly. In other words, she never puts the brakes on. And the
hardest thing to do is build a quality cellar. What I thought was good
3 years ago, I have now surpassed in quality with newer wines. As I
find better sources of fruit, of course, my wine gets better. If I go
down to the basement, and don't want to pull a certain bottle, that
bin becomes gifts. And making wine in one gallon, or even 5 gallon
batches, is something I don't do. If it is good, it will be gone
before it ages. Usually my batches are in stainless steel beer kegs.
Last year I made about 150 gallons, with about 50 gallons still
unbottled. ( Very tannic syrah and nebbiola plus a few small batches
of others) This year I will do only about 100 due to quality problems
in Pa and NY.
Tim
> you're right, Dave...
> the joy is in the creating,
> and the joy is also in the drinking..
> and the joy is in the giving away of wine and having friends say: that was
> GREAT!
> my secretary tells me she likes mine better than the wine she buys at the
> store.
> what a compliment!
> And the joy is in the collecting...
> The joy is in the throwing away of stuff that's gone bad...
> It's just fun...
> Today I picked a few more concords to top off my juice at 6 gallons pressed,
> processed juice...
> But I left behind a whole bunch of grapes on the vine that a neighbour said
> I could have as much as I wanted of....it was hard to let it go...but I can
> only make so much,
> and my wife also asks me: when's it going to stop...
> Well, I have plans for raspberry, rhubarb, and maybe jalapeno wine...
> jalapeno wine? yes, the joy is in the experimenting too!
>
> That's for me, anyway.
> Good question!
> take care,
> Cheers.
> Rick Vanderwal
> Fremont, MI
>

> "Dave Allyn" > wrote in message
> > I know I am not a big drinker, but I don't understand what some of you
> > do with your wine. In the thred "what's fermenting" some people have
> > listed enough wine that is activly fermenting to make in excess of 200
> > bottles! I understand the joy is in the creating. that is for me
> > too. but what do you do with that much wine? that's almost a bottle
> > a day! some are even more. Is it more of a collection thing? never
> > to drink some of it? give away as presents?
> >
> > Please understand. I am not trying to be critical. This is mearly
> > ignorance. I like to build things out of wood as well, those
> > projects I can always sell. even then I have a hard time finding
> > homes when I make more than I can use. I ultimatly had to slow down
> > the making, as there was no where to put them. how is this handled
> > with wine??
> >
> > thanks in advance...
> >

> > email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
> > please respond in this NG so others
> > can share your wisdom as well!

Fred Williams

Dad put a "lean to" addition on the "winery", little house out behind the
house. I guess you could technically call it the "jug room" :-) My sister
and I have offen speculated what we will do, when unfortunately, that time
comes.

Fred

"Dave Allyn" > wrote in message
> I know I am not a big drinker, but I don't understand what some of you
> do with your wine. In the thred "what's fermenting" some people have
> listed enough wine that is activly fermenting to make in excess of 200
> bottles! I understand the joy is in the creating. that is for me
> too. but what do you do with that much wine? that's almost a bottle
> a day! some are even more. Is it more of a collection thing? never
> to drink some of it? give away as presents?
>
> Please understand. I am not trying to be critical. This is mearly
> ignorance. I like to build things out of wood as well, those
> projects I can always sell. even then I have a hard time finding
> homes when I make more than I can use. I ultimatly had to slow down
> the making, as there was no where to put them. how is this handled
> with wine??
>
> thanks in advance...
>

> email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
> please respond in this NG so others
> can share your wisdom as well!

Greg

I don't drink all that much either. I just started making it this
year and am trying to "build up" my cellar. I make 1 gallon batches
of fruit wine and 6 gallon kits in between so the fruit wine can age.
I figure I go through 2 bottles a week thru the summer and a bit less
at other parts of the year. Why the difference? I drink it while I'm
grilling.

My first kit yielded 28 bottles. I gave away 12 bottles. Brings that
to 16. I have 2 tucked away for thanksgiving and 2 for christmas.
That's 12. I had a party and went thru 2. That's 10 bottles left
from that original 28 bottles.

Believe it or not, it disappears fast. I found that when I get into a
conversation with friends that don't know I make wine, when the
subject comes up, they want to try it. I figure that at $2 or so a
bottle, I give it away quite easily.

Now when it comes to my fruit wine, that's rarely given away.

Greg

wrote:

>I know I am not a big drinker, but I don't understand what some of you
>do with your wine. In the thred "what's fermenting" some people have
>listed enough wine that is activly fermenting to make in excess of 200
>bottles! I understand the joy is in the creating. that is for me
>too. but what do you do with that much wine? that's almost a bottle
>a day! some are even more. Is it more of a collection thing? never
>to drink some of it? give away as presents?
>
>Please understand. I am not trying to be critical. This is mearly
>ignorance. I like to build things out of wood as well, those
>projects I can always sell. even then I have a hard time finding
>homes when I make more than I can use. I ultimatly had to slow down
>the making, as there was no where to put them. how is this handled
>with wine??
>
>thanks in advance...
>

>email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
>please respond in this NG so others
>can share your wisdom as well!

Greg Smith

Remove "spamblocker" to e-mail
Edwin Pawlowski

"Dave Allyn" > wrote in message
> I know I am not a big drinker, but I don't understand what some of you
> do with your wine.

My wife cannot drink as much the past couple of years because of some
medications. We do drink a bottle maybe three times a week. In the past
year, I've been putting some in 12 oz. bottles for times that I'd like wine
and my wife does not.

I take a bottle to work for lunch every now and again and share it with one
or two others. (I don't operate machinery and it is legal)

Any time we go to dinner at friend's homes we take a bottle or two, and
gifts for assorted holidays or special occasions. They also return the
bottles or they know their source may just dry up!

In all, I guess I go through 200+ bottles a year. If I had to buy wine at
retail prices, I'd drink less of it. And I'd give less as gifts.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Dave Allyn

so the basic consensus is a bottle or two a week, and the rest is
either storage for future, or gifts.... correct?

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:26:15 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Dave Allyn" > wrote in message
>> I know I am not a big drinker, but I don't understand what some of you
>> do with your wine.

>My wife cannot drink as much the past couple of years because of some
>medications. We do drink a bottle maybe three times a week. In the past
>year, I've been putting some in 12 oz. bottles for times that I'd like wine
>and my wife does not.
>
>I take a bottle to work for lunch every now and again and share it with one
>or two others. (I don't operate machinery and it is legal)
>
>Any time we go to dinner at friend's homes we take a bottle or two, and
>gifts for assorted holidays or special occasions. They also return the
>bottles or they know their source may just dry up!
>
>In all, I guess I go through 200+ bottles a year. If I had to buy wine at
>retail prices, I'd drink less of it. And I'd give less as gifts.
>Ed

>http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!
Negodki

"Dave Allyn" > wrote:

> so the basic consensus is a bottle or two a week, and the rest is
> either storage for future, or gifts.... correct?

No, no, Dave! A bottle or two a DAY, and the rest is for wot you said.

[I don't have a drinking problem. I drink. I get drunk. I pass out. No
problem!]

Just joking, kids.

Tim McNally

Negodki,
Where do you get Chilean grapes?
Tim

> > I know I am not a big drinker, but I don't understand what some of you
> > do with your wine. In the thred "what's fermenting" some people have
> > listed enough wine that is activly fermenting to make in excess of 200
> > bottles! I understand the joy is in the creating. that is for me
> > too. but what do you do with that much wine? that's almost a bottle
> > a day! some are even more. Is it more of a collection thing? never
> > to drink some of it? give away as presents?
> >
> > Please understand. I am not trying to be critical. This is mearly
> > ignorance. I like to build things out of wood as well, those
> > projects I can always sell. even then I have a hard time finding
> > homes when I make more than I can use. I ultimatly had to slow down
> > the making, as there was no where to put them. how is this handled
> > with wine??

> Firstly, a 5-gallon batch will only yield about 4-gallons of wine, after all
> the fining --- unless, of course, you top up, in which case you are
> depleting your cellar supply, with the same volumetric effect. Then, there
> is spillage and breakage and "quality assurance" sampling, and the
> occasional batch that goes bad.
>
> Secondly, a bottle a day is 365(.25) bottles per year, which is 73(.05)
> gallons. Sounds like a lot? A bottle is only about 4 six-ounce glasses.
> Many of us do have one or two glasses of wine with our meals and possibly
> one or two more during the course of an evening. If there are two people in
> the household who enjoy wine, a bottle a day is only 1/2 bottle per person.
> This is not AA territory, IMO.
>
> Thirdly, there are guests, parties (which can quickly empty a few cases),
> and (as you mention) gifts.
>
> And finally, one wishes to age their wine for a few years. Thus, during the
> initial years of the hobby, one will be making more than one is consuming,
> in order to build up a cellar. Eventually, after 4-6 years, one will slow
> down "production" to match annual consumption.
>
> When I started out making my own wine, I made a few one-gallon batches. When
> they worked out successfully, I started making a new batch almost every
> week --- whatever fruit was on sale that week became wine. Eventually, I
> slowed down to fewer, but larger batches. In September, I make a few
> ten-gallon batches of vinafera (Cabernet, Merlot, Sangiovese). In November,
> I make a few ten-gallon batches of Scrumpy. In January, I make a few batches
> from the Chilean grape harvest. In Spring, from Concord juice. And in late
> summer, from Midnight Beauty "table grapes". And, I do a few 1-gallon
> "experimentals" when I'm in the mood, or some sort of fruit falls my way.
> That gives me my statutory 100 gallons, and a bit of spare time for enjoying
> it.

Darwin Vander Stelt

In my humble opinion the wine bottle size we typically use has become the
standard because most people find this about right for a couple with dinner.
And what is more civilized (and romantic!) than enjoying dinner and a bottle
with the wife of your youth? (It gets to be a habit after 35 years!) and if
it is good now and then, some of us conclude, it is good every day! Hence
the 100 gal limit. (365 bottles for you and wife, 135 for parties, gifts,
bad experiments, etc.). It only takes about one third acre of grapes to
provide this, and once you have it planted and growing, and your barrels and
equipment paid for, you may have this wonderful extravagance for almost no
expense!

"Negodki" > wrote in message
> [...]

> down "production" to match annual consumption.
>
> When I started out making my own wine, I made a few one-gallon batches.

When
> they worked out successfully, I started making a new batch almost every
> week --- whatever fruit was on sale that week became wine. Eventually, I
> slowed down to fewer, but larger batches. In September, I make a few
> ten-gallon batches of vinafera (Cabernet, Merlot, Sangiovese). In

November,
> I make a few ten-gallon batches of Scrumpy. In January, I make a few

batches
> from the Chilean grape harvest. In Spring, from Concord juice. And in late
> summer, from Midnight Beauty "table grapes". And, I do a few 1-gallon
> "experimentals" when I'm in the mood, or some sort of fruit falls my way.
> That gives me my statutory 100 gallons, and a bit of spare time for

Negodki

"Tim McNally" > wrote:

> Negodki,
> Where do you get Chilean grapes?
> Tim

Aconcagua. In January, my local grocery store imports and sells some sort of
red "table grape" (for only 69 cents a pound) which makes an excellent
"white Zinfandel" type wine. The Brix is a bit low (17-18), but the acid
(.7-8) , pH (3.1-3.3), and tannin levels are ideal. With a bit of
chapitalization (fancy french word for adding sugar), it works out very
nice. I discovered this one year when I was unable to purchase any wine
grapes during the fall, and decided to see what I could do with table
grapes. I've been making it every year since.

Since I have no idea what the varietal is, we've named the wine "Chilly
Vinny" (a play on 'vino [de uvas] chileanos', and much easier to say when
drinking).

Negodki

"Darwin Vander Stelt" > wrote:
> In my humble opinion the wine bottle size we typically use has become the
> standard because most people find this about right for a couple with

dinner.
> And what is more civilized (and romantic!) than enjoying dinner and a

bottle
> with the wife of your youth? (It gets to be a habit after 35 years!) and

if
> it is good now and then, some of us conclude, it is good every day! Hence
> the 100 gal limit. (365 bottles for you and wife, 135 for parties, gifts,
> bad experiments, etc.). It only takes about one third acre of grapes to
> provide this, and once you have it planted and growing, and your barrels

and
> equipment paid for, you may have this wonderful extravagance for almost no
> expense!

If there are two or more adults in the household, the limit is 200 gallons
per annum(http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/inf...ages/24_75.htm),
so you can drink more, take a second wife, and/or have more parties!

Darwin Vander Stelt

Wife one will surely object. Better have more parties!
"Negodki" > wrote in message
> "Darwin Vander Stelt" > wrote:
> > In my humble opinion the wine bottle size we typically use has become

the
> > standard because most people find this about right for a couple with

> dinner.
> > And what is more civilized (and romantic!) than enjoying dinner and a

> bottle
> > with the wife of your youth? (It gets to be a habit after 35 years!) and

> if
> > it is good now and then, some of us conclude, it is good every day!

Hence
> > the 100 gal limit. (365 bottles for you and wife, 135 for parties,

gifts,
> > bad experiments, etc.). It only takes about one third acre of grapes to
> > provide this, and once you have it planted and growing, and your barrels

> and
> > equipment paid for, you may have this wonderful extravagance for almost

no
> > expense!

> If there are two or more adults in the household, the limit is 200 gallons
> per annum(http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/inf...ages/24_75.htm),
> so you can drink more, take a second wife, and/or have more parties!

Steve

On 10/13/2003 2:51 PM, Dave Allyn wrote:
> I know I am not a big drinker, but I don't understand what some of you
> do with your wine. In the thred "what's fermenting" some people have
> listed enough wine that is activly fermenting to make in excess of 200
> bottles! I understand the joy is in the creating. that is for me
> too. but what do you do with that much wine? that's almost a bottle
> a day! some are even more. Is it more of a collection thing? never
> to drink some of it? give away as presents?
>
> Please understand. I am not trying to be critical. This is mearly
> ignorance. I like to build things out of wood as well, those
> projects I can always sell. even then I have a hard time finding
> homes when I make more than I can use. I ultimatly had to slow down
> the making, as there was no where to put them. how is this handled
> with wine??
>
> thanks in advance...
>

> email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
> please respond in this NG so others
> can share your wisdom as well!

Let's see two 8 oz glasses of wine x 2 people = 32 oz per day x 365 days
= 11680 oz per yr / 128 oz = 91.25 gals per yr or about 460+ bottles.
This year I expect to get 125 gals of wine from 1800 lbs of grapes which
will be split equally with my partner.
Oops, we didn't make enough!

Steve

Allen McBroom

Let the newsgroup scroll proclaim that Dave Allyn >
scribed upon its pages in :

> I know I am not a big drinker, but I don't understand what some of you
> do with your wine. In the thred "what's fermenting" some people have
> listed enough wine that is activly fermenting to make in excess of 200
> bottles! I understand the joy is in the creating. that is for me
> too. but what do you do with that much wine? that's almost a bottle
> a day!

A bottle a day isn't an unreasonable amount to consume. It's about
four-five glasses, and two glasses of red per day is highly recommended as
heart healthy. With two adults in the house, one bottle isn't much to
consume in a day!

--
Allen McBroom ><>
www.NPSTKD.com
Jim

"I have enjoyed great health at a great age because everyday since I
can remember I have consumed a bottle of wine except when I have not
felt well. Then I have consumed two bottles."

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:50:33 -0700, "Negodki" >
wrote:

>"Dave Allyn" > wrote:
>
>> so the basic consensus is a bottle or two a week, and the rest is
>> either storage for future, or gifts.... correct?

>No, no, Dave! A bottle or two a DAY, and the rest is for wot you said.
>
>[I don't have a drinking problem. I drink. I get drunk. I pass out. No
>problem!]
>
>Just joking, kids.

Deadend

"Roger" > wrote in message nk.net>...

Dave,

I'm one of those persons that posted in the other thread, "What's
Fermenting?" I do have quite a bit of wine going. One thing that
wasn't mentioned here yet was using wine as an ingredient. I don't eat
out all that much. I cook at home 4-5 nights per week. I don't like
many prepackaged foods, I like making my food myself, as part of my
work is in the food industry, and I see just how much fat,
preservatives and SODIUM goes into the foods that most people eat. I
love to cook with wine. I find that an entire bottle of Sauvignon
Blanc makes for a wonderful Piccatta, and as a side note, I don't use
veal, I go a little healthier and more PC, I use Tilapia, which is
wonderful in this dish. It is a WONDERFUL pairing, and I highly
recommend it. Or, if I'm deglazing a pan, I will use a very liberal
amount of Merlot. Same with a simple roast in the crock pot, I would
dump in a half bottle of Cab, and pour a fresh glass for myself while
it cooks. Or if I had a half bottle of red left over, I use it in
place of some water in recipes. Or if it calls for stock, I use my own
frozen cubed stock reduction and boost the flavor with a little wine
for certain dishes. I get good reviews from my guests, and I think
that it's less about me and more about the ingredients. And, of
course, the WINE.

Ever try cooking this way with a commercial wines? I don't know about
you, but I didn't feel like I had the "freedom" (or is it the INCOME?)
to use a high quality bottle of wine every time I would want, like a
half bottle for the humble pot roast! But now I do whatever I want
with it.

Of course, we do the things that others mention here. We have wine
with dinner a few nights a week. We have guests over and kill a few
bottles. We have a party and a case disappears. I give away loads of
wine as gifts to friends and my employees at work. People really seem
to love it, and even remember and request it again and again. I think
it means something more to them than any $90 bottle of wine could. It
is something wrought from our own hands, hearts and minds, and you
just can't put a price on that. So for those reasons, the bottles seem
to fly off the shelves.

That's why if I ever hope to be able to enjoy any of it myself 5 years
down the road, well, then I NEED to make 600 bottles a year! I wish I
had a choice in the matter ;>

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Deadend
Pinky

Sadly I have restricted myself to only one bottle of wine per week for the
last year (with very occasional treats of 2 bottles/week!). This is due to
diabetes type2 which was diagnosed at my request about 18 months ago. Since
then I have lost over 20kg in weight and am in fact feeling much healthier.
I am not on diabetic medication but was extremely overweight -- a bottle of
wine every day plus maybe two on saturday and Sunday. My doctor suggested I
just have a glass or 2 each day but I lack the willpower to not finish off
the bottle at one siitting -- hence my weekly treat now!

So I have reduced my winemaking from about 120 gals imp/year down to about
70/80. I give a lot away as presents after at least one year bulk + bottle
ageing. I also will make a batch of 30 bottles for friends -- well I will
let them select a vintage already bulk aged for about 6 months and they buy
me a quality wine kit ( eg Selection Estate ) and I charge them a minimum
"bottling and labelling" fee to cover my costs. I donate -- say 2 or 3
cases to each of my favourite local charites each year at appropriate fund
raising times.
My fruit wines ( basically strawberry, apricot and Blackberry/elderberry )
production has had to be reduced due to lack of space in my small flat (
apartment ) for bulk storage since I like to age the apricot and
blackberry/elderberry for at least two years. I generally have about 200
bottles of wine in racks bottle ageing and have another 50 gallons or so in
various stages of production. Only my main sitting/living room is free of
wine! I also give an ad hoc bottle or two away to people who have done me
good service -- I feel it is much more appreciated than a monetary "tip".
I always take a few bottles along with me when invited to dinner -- I seem
to be a fairly popular guest!
--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England

"Dave Allyn" > wrote in message
> I know I am not a big drinker, but I don't understand what some of you
> do with your wine. In the thre

<snip><snip>

Dave Allyn

I never thought of cooking with it.... though I had to ask my wife
what deglazing was.....

Thanks for all the info everyone!

On 17 Oct 2003 15:58:31 -0700, (Deadend)
wrote:

>"Roger" > wrote in message nk.net>...
>
>Dave,
>
>I'm one of those persons that posted in the other thread, "What's
>Fermenting?" I do have quite a bit of wine going. One thing that
>wasn't mentioned here yet was using wine as an ingredient. I don't eat
>out all that much. I cook at home 4-5 nights per week. I don't like
>many prepackaged foods, I like making my food myself, as part of my
>work is in the food industry, and I see just how much fat,
>preservatives and SODIUM goes into the foods that most people eat. I
>love to cook with wine. I find that an entire bottle of Sauvignon
>Blanc makes for a wonderful Piccatta, and as a side note, I don't use
>veal, I go a little healthier and more PC, I use Tilapia, which is
>wonderful in this dish. It is a WONDERFUL pairing, and I highly
>recommend it. Or, if I'm deglazing a pan, I will use a very liberal
>amount of Merlot. Same with a simple roast in the crock pot, I would
>dump in a half bottle of Cab, and pour a fresh glass for myself while
>it cooks. Or if I had a half bottle of red left over, I use it in
>place of some water in recipes. Or if it calls for stock, I use my own
>frozen cubed stock reduction and boost the flavor with a little wine
>for certain dishes. I get good reviews from my guests, and I think
>that it's less about me and more about the ingredients. And, of
>course, the WINE.
>
>Ever try cooking this way with a commercial wines? I don't know about
>you, but I didn't feel like I had the "freedom" (or is it the INCOME?)
>to use a high quality bottle of wine every time I would want, like a
>half bottle for the humble pot roast! But now I do whatever I want
>with it.
>
>Of course, we do the things that others mention here. We have wine
>with dinner a few nights a week. We have guests over and kill a few
>bottles. We have a party and a case disappears. I give away loads of
>wine as gifts to friends and my employees at work. People really seem
>to love it, and even remember and request it again and again. I think
>it means something more to them than any $90 bottle of wine could. It
>is something wrought from our own hands, hearts and minds, and you
>just can't put a price on that. So for those reasons, the bottles seem
>to fly off the shelves.
>
>That's why if I ever hope to be able to enjoy any of it myself 5 years
>down the road, well, then I NEED to make 600 bottles a year! I wish I
>had a choice in the matter ;>
>
>Hope that helps!
>
>Regards,
>
>Deadend

email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!
Dar V

I'm in the process of making a pepper & herb wine specifically for cooking
with. I'll be bottling it in about a month.
Darlene

"Dave Allyn" > wrote in message
> I never thought of cooking with it.... though I had to ask my wife
> what deglazing was.....
>
> Thanks for all the info everyone!
>

> On 17 Oct 2003 15:58:31 -0700, (Deadend)
> wrote:
>
> >"Roger" > wrote in message

nk.net>...

> >Dave,
> >
> >I'm one of those persons that posted in the other thread, "What's
> >Fermenting?" I do have quite a bit of wine going. One thing that
> >wasn't mentioned here yet was using wine as an ingredient. I don't eat
> >out all that much. I cook at home 4-5 nights per week. I don't like
> >many prepackaged foods, I like making my food myself, as part of my
> >work is in the food industry, and I see just how much fat,
> >preservatives and SODIUM goes into the foods that most people eat. I
> >love to cook with wine. I find that an entire bottle of Sauvignon
> >Blanc makes for a wonderful Piccatta, and as a side note, I don't use
> >veal, I go a little healthier and more PC, I use Tilapia, which is
> >wonderful in this dish. It is a WONDERFUL pairing, and I highly
> >recommend it. Or, if I'm deglazing a pan, I will use a very liberal
> >amount of Merlot. Same with a simple roast in the crock pot, I would
> >dump in a half bottle of Cab, and pour a fresh glass for myself while
> >it cooks. Or if I had a half bottle of red left over, I use it in
> >place of some water in recipes. Or if it calls for stock, I use my own
> >frozen cubed stock reduction and boost the flavor with a little wine
> >for certain dishes. I get good reviews from my guests, and I think
> >that it's less about me and more about the ingredients. And, of
> >course, the WINE.
> >
> >Ever try cooking this way with a commercial wines? I don't know about
> >you, but I didn't feel like I had the "freedom" (or is it the INCOME?)
> >to use a high quality bottle of wine every time I would want, like a
> >half bottle for the humble pot roast! But now I do whatever I want
> >with it.
> >
> >Of course, we do the things that others mention here. We have wine
> >with dinner a few nights a week. We have guests over and kill a few
> >bottles. We have a party and a case disappears. I give away loads of
> >wine as gifts to friends and my employees at work. People really seem
> >to love it, and even remember and request it again and again. I think
> >it means something more to them than any $90 bottle of wine could. It
> >is something wrought from our own hands, hearts and minds, and you
> >just can't put a price on that. So for those reasons, the bottles seem
> >to fly off the shelves.
> >
> >That's why if I ever hope to be able to enjoy any of it myself 5 years
> >down the road, well, then I NEED to make 600 bottles a year! I wish I
> >had a choice in the matter ;>
> >
> >Hope that helps!
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Deadend

> email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
> please respond in this NG so others
> can share your wisdom as well!

Rick Vanderwal

pepper and herb? what's the recipe on that one? What kind of peppers?

Rick

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > >half bottle for the humble pot roast! But now I do whatever I want
> > >with it.
> > >
> > >Of course, we do the things that others mention here. We have wine
> > >with dinner a few nights a week. We have guests over and kill a few
> > >bottles. We have a party and a case disappears. I give away loads of
> > >wine as gifts to friends and my employees at work. People really seem
> > >to love it, and even remember and request it again and again. I think
> > >it means something more to them than any $90 bottle of wine could. It
> > >is something wrought from our own hands, hearts and minds, and you
> > >just can't put a price on that. So for those reasons, the bottles seem
> > >to fly off the shelves.
> > >
> > >That's why if I ever hope to be able to enjoy any of it myself 5 years
> > >down the road, well, then I NEED to make 600 bottles a year! I wish I

Dar V

Leftover frozen green peppers from my garden, and leftover herbs - oregano,
parsley, sweet basil. I sort of combined 2 recipes. If you're interested,
I'll send it.
Darlene

"Rick Vanderwal" > wrote in message
> pepper and herb? what's the recipe on that one? What kind of peppers?
>
> Rick
>
> "Dar V" > wrote in message
> > I'm in the process of making a pepper & herb wine specifically for

cooking
> > with. I'll be bottling it in about a month.
> > Darlene
> >
> > "Dave Allyn" > wrote in message
> > > I never thought of cooking with it.... though I had to ask my wife
> > > what deglazing was.....
> > >
> > > Thanks for all the info everyone!

> > nk.net>...

eat

own

INCOME?)

seem

years

> > > email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
> > > please respond in this NG so others
> > > can share your wisdom as well!

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Leftover frozen green peppers from my garden, and leftover herbs -

oregano,
> parsley, sweet basil. I sort of combined 2 recipes. If you're

interested,
> I'll send it.
> Darlene

Sounds interesting. I've infused wine with herbs and spices with good
results. Just never thought of making it from them.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Joe Sallustio

Dave
That sounds about right for me. I make around 400 bottles some years
and a lot gets given away for events and such. This year I will
probably only make 50 gallons, the grapes are looking pretty awful in
NY and PA compared to what I have going from California. I really
want to make a bit more, but we will see.
If I am addicted to anything, it's winemaking....
)
Regards,
Joe

Dave Allyn > wrote in message >. ..
> so the basic consensus is a bottle or two a week, and the rest is
> either storage for future, or gifts.... correct?

Michael

Good Luck with your health Pinky.

I find we drink between 3-5 traditional bottles per week, between my
wife and I. We had a neighborhood party(which looks like will happen
3-5 times per year), and that was a quick 5 bottles. Holidays and
special events occur 3-5 times a year, so I would estimate our
consumption to be between 200-300 bottles. Over time we have gone
more and more from purchased wine to our homemade wine. We now have
50 vines in and hope to produce more in a couple years from our own
grapes. When I do a typical red, 2 bottles are 1.5l, 1 or 2 are
1Liter, most are 750, 2-3 500ml and usually 1-2 are 375ml. This helps
on the nights I want red and she wants white. Also, 2 doors down is a
fellow winemaker and sampling from 375's at 9 am on a Sunday morning
goes better with both of our spouses. Imagine if we always pulled
750's and sample 5-6 varities?

I would not have thought thist a couple years ago, but it's like when
you put yourself on a budget, if you write down what you spend and
when you spend it for a period of time, you get a more accurate
reading of yourself...we have done this with wine.

With us, family, friends and special events I think 300 and growing is
more the reality then the exception. For all the reasons previously
mentioned and my thread here I believe I need to increase my
production.

"Pinky" > wrote in message >...
> Sadly I have restricted myself to only one bottle of wine per week for the
> last year (with very occasional treats of 2 bottles/week!). This is due to
> diabetes type2 which was diagnosed at my request about 18 months ago. Since
> then I have lost over 20kg in weight and am in fact feeling much healthier.
> I am not on diabetic medication but was extremely overweight -- a bottle of
> wine every day plus maybe two on saturday and Sunday. My doctor suggested I
> just have a glass or 2 each day but I lack the willpower to not finish off
> the bottle at one siitting -- hence my weekly treat now!
>
> So I have reduced my winemaking from about 120 gals imp/year down to about
> 70/80. I give a lot away as presents after at least one year bulk + bottle
> ageing. I also will make a batch of 30 bottles for friends -- well I will
> let them select a vintage already bulk aged for about 6 months and they buy
> me a quality wine kit ( eg Selection Estate ) and I charge them a minimum
> "bottling and labelling" fee to cover my costs. I donate -- say 2 or 3
> cases to each of my favourite local charites each year at appropriate fund
> raising times.
> My fruit wines ( basically strawberry, apricot and Blackberry/elderberry )
> production has had to be reduced due to lack of space in my small flat (
> apartment ) for bulk storage since I like to age the apricot and
> blackberry/elderberry for at least two years. I generally have about 200
> bottles of wine in racks bottle ageing and have another 50 gallons or so in
> various stages of production. Only my main sitting/living room is free of
> wine! I also give an ad hoc bottle or two away to people who have done me
> good service -- I feel it is much more appreciated than a monetary "tip".
> I always take a few bottles along with me when invited to dinner -- I seem
> to be a fairly popular guest!
> --
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire, England
> Rambling on as Usual!
> Remove "SPAMLESS" to reply.
> All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
> Anti Virus for your protection too!
>
> "Dave Allyn" > wrote in message
> > I know I am not a big drinker, but I don't understand what some of you
> > do with your wine. In the thre

> <snip><snip>

Greg Cook

In article >,
"Dar V" > wrote:

> Leftover frozen green peppers from my garden, and leftover herbs - oregano,
> parsley, sweet basil. I sort of combined 2 recipes. If you're interested,
> I'll send it.
> Darlene

That sounds interesting. I just had grilled chicken tonight that was
marinated with my Thai Basil wine. It was terrific.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email address)
Negodki

Darlene, could you post it? It seems that everyone is interested. Thanks.

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Leftover frozen green peppers from my garden, and leftover herbs -

oregano,
> parsley, sweet basil. I sort of combined 2 recipes. If you're

interested,
> I'll send it.
> Darlene
>
> "Rick Vanderwal" > wrote in message
> > pepper and herb? what's the recipe on that one? What kind of peppers?
> >
> > Rick
> >
> > "Dar V" > wrote in message
> > > I'm in the process of making a pepper & herb wine specifically for

> cooking
> > > with. I'll be bottling it in about a month.
> > > Darlene

> > > nk.net>...

> eat

use

would

while

> own

wine

about

> INCOME?)

of

seem

think

It

> seem

> years

Dar V

Here's the recipe. This is a off-white (tinged yellow) wine which is very
fragrant with a 13% alcohol by volume. If I were to make this again I would
use more pectic enzyme, maybe up to 1 1/2 tsp, because the wine was cloudy
and after I added more pectic enzyme it cleared up.

Pepper & Herb Cooking Wine

1 1/2 lbs of green peppers (frozen and thawed)
6 cups of dried herbs (oregano, parsley, basil) Simmered & then steeped in 2
quarts of water for 2 hours - then strained the herbs out so I was left with
a bit more than 1 quart of very brown, fragrant liquid
3 cups sugar
Water to 1 gallon or a bit more for top up
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp tannin
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
3 tsp acid blend
1 campden tablet
1 package of yeast - I used Montrachet

"Negodki" > wrote in message
> Darlene, could you post it? It seems that everyone is interested. Thanks.
>
> "Dar V" > wrote in message
> > Leftover frozen green peppers from my garden, and leftover herbs -

> oregano,
> > parsley, sweet basil. I sort of combined 2 recipes. If you're

> interested,
> > I'll send it.
> > Darlene
> >
> > "Rick Vanderwal" > wrote in message
> > > pepper and herb? what's the recipe on that one? What kind of

peppers?

> > > Rick

> > cooking

wife

(Deadend)

don't
> > eat

like

my

eat.

> use

is

liberal

> would

> while

my
> > own

> wine

think

> about

> > INCOME?)

like

want

wine

few

> of

> seem

> think

could.
> It

you

> > seem

> > years

wish

Deadend

"Dar V" > wrote in message >...
> Here's the recipe. This is a off-white (tinged yellow) wine which is very
> fragrant with a 13% alcohol by volume. If I were to make this again I would
> use more pectic enzyme, maybe up to 1 1/2 tsp, because the wine was cloudy
> and after I added more pectic enzyme it cleared up.
>
> Pepper & Herb Cooking Wine
>
> 1 1/2 lbs of green peppers (frozen and thawed)
> 6 cups of dried herbs (oregano, parsley, basil) Simmered & then steeped in 2
> quarts of water for 2 hours - then strained the herbs out so I was left with
> a bit more than 1 quart of very brown, fragrant liquid
> 3 cups sugar
> Water to 1 gallon or a bit more for top up
> 1 tsp yeast nutrient
> 1/4 tsp tannin
> 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
> 3 tsp acid blend
> 1 campden tablet
> 1 package of yeast - I used Montrachet

Wow, that sounds wild! I just can't imagine how that would taste. Does
it taste of the herbs and pepper, or do the flavors transform, as they
do with grape wines? Do you cook with it, drink it or both? I love
some of the experimental stuff you guys do, it is very cool. Maybe I
am too much of a traditionalist!

I wonder if it would be better or worse with fresh herbs instead of
dried? We are blessed with a temperate climate here in the San
Francisco Bay Area, so we can grow herbs about 9-10 months out of the
year. We still have parsley going absolutely nuts (I was still wearing
shorts this weekend, and we're almost in November) and I can get the
best Thai basil at the farmer's market; it is always $1.00 for more
than you could ever hope to use before it goes bad--but it WOULDN'T go
bad if it was in a wine. Hmm...

I prefer red peppers. I wonder if that would produce a "blush" pepper
wine?

Regards,

Deadend
Dar V

I was just planning on cooking with it, but I will see how it tastes. The
wine smells very peppery. When I was chatting with this group 8 months or
so ago, I found out that peppers (no matter what color, even red) will give
you an off-white wine. At the time, most cooked with this wine, but others
talked about how nice it was on a cold winter night, and how much it would
clear out your sinuses.
Darlene

"Deadend" > wrote in message
om...
> "Dar V" > wrote in message

> > Here's the recipe. This is a off-white (tinged yellow) wine which is

very
> > fragrant with a 13% alcohol by volume. If I were to make this again I

would
> > use more pectic enzyme, maybe up to 1 1/2 tsp, because the wine was

cloudy
> > and after I added more pectic enzyme it cleared up.
> >
> > Pepper & Herb Cooking Wine
> >
> > 1 1/2 lbs of green peppers (frozen and thawed)
> > 6 cups of dried herbs (oregano, parsley, basil) Simmered & then steeped

in 2
> > quarts of water for 2 hours - then strained the herbs out so I was left

with
> > a bit more than 1 quart of very brown, fragrant liquid
> > 3 cups sugar
> > Water to 1 gallon or a bit more for top up
> > 1 tsp yeast nutrient
> > 1/4 tsp tannin
> > 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
> > 3 tsp acid blend
> > 1 campden tablet
> > 1 package of yeast - I used Montrachet
> >

> Wow, that sounds wild! I just can't imagine how that would taste. Does
> it taste of the herbs and pepper, or do the flavors transform, as they
> do with grape wines? Do you cook with it, drink it or both? I love
> some of the experimental stuff you guys do, it is very cool. Maybe I
> am too much of a traditionalist!
>
> I wonder if it would be better or worse with fresh herbs instead of
> dried? We are blessed with a temperate climate here in the San
> Francisco Bay Area, so we can grow herbs about 9-10 months out of the
> year. We still have parsley going absolutely nuts (I was still wearing
> shorts this weekend, and we're almost in November) and I can get the
> best Thai basil at the farmer's market; it is always $1.00 for more
> than you could ever hope to use before it goes bad--but it WOULDN'T go
> bad if it was in a wine. Hmm...
>
> I prefer red peppers. I wonder if that would produce a "blush" pepper
> wine?
>
> Regards,
>
> Deadend

Dave Stacy

Default Was "What do you do with your wine" (added some cooking ideas)

I really found it amazing how many people were surprised at the
thought of cooking with wine.
Now I might be showing my european roots here but my mother would have
killed me if I didn't throw in a bit of red wine into every pasta
sauce.
Since those days of her teaching me to cook I've been to cooking
school and believe me most cooks use wine in EVERY dish. Allow me to
give the group a few suggestions:

Jalapeno wine is a great marinade for chicken and fish. It does
something to red sauce that you won't believe (pour in 1/2 of a 375ml
bottle).
Marinate all of your steaks in a cup or 2 or red wine with some
garlic.
Chicken marinated in tequila and lime juice is great. (ok it isn't
wine but since we're on the subject)
Saute your mushrooms in butter and white wine with a little salt &
pepper.
Pork chops either marinated or cooked in Port wine are fantastic (try
it you'll NEVER go back I promise).
The list goes on and on..........drop me an email if you want the
specifics or other dishes I use it in.

Just for fun here is what I have in process:
Blackberry Port
Cab
Pinot Gris
Chard
Merlot
Zin
Raspberry
Jalapeno
Montepulciano

Thanks all for the great discussions in this group. I admit I lay in
the background a bit but I really enjoy your posts. I'm quite open to
emails if you have a question or comment.

Dave Stacy

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:00:39 GMT, "Dar V" > wrote:

>Here's the recipe. This is a off-white (tinged yellow) wine which is very
>fragrant with a 13% alcohol by volume. If I were to make this again I would
>use more pectic enzyme, maybe up to 1 1/2 tsp, because the wine was cloudy
>and after I added more pectic enzyme it cleared up.
>
>Pepper & Herb Cooking Wine
>
>1 1/2 lbs of green peppers (frozen and thawed)
>6 cups of dried herbs (oregano, parsley, basil) Simmered & then steeped in 2
>quarts of water for 2 hours - then strained the herbs out so I was left with
>a bit more than 1 quart of very brown, fragrant liquid
>3 cups sugar
>Water to 1 gallon or a bit more for top up
>1 tsp yeast nutrient
>1/4 tsp tannin
>1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
>3 tsp acid blend
>1 campden tablet
>1 package of yeast - I used Montrachet
>
>"Negodki" > wrote in message
>> Darlene, could you post it? It seems that everyone is interested. Thanks.
>>
>> "Dar V" > wrote in message
>> > Leftover frozen green peppers from my garden, and leftover herbs -

>> oregano,
>> > parsley, sweet basil. I sort of combined 2 recipes. If you're

>> interested,
>> > I'll send it.
>> > Darlene

>peppers?

>> > cooking

>wife

>(Deadend)

>don't
>> > eat

>like

>my

>eat.

>> use

>is

>liberal

>> would

>> while

>my
>> > own

>> wine

>think

>> about
>> > INCOME?)

>like

>want

>wine

>few

>> of

>> seem

>> think

>could.
>> It

>you
>> > seem

>> > years

>wish

Dar V

I don't know many who use wine in their cooking, but I've watched enough
cooking shows to know that it is done a lot. My sister-in-law does use wine
in her cooking and she'll get a bottle of my pepper/herb wine. I know my
mother never used wine in her cooking, so for me it has been a learning
experience. I appreciated the ideas - thank you.
Darlene

"Dave Stacy" > wrote in message
> [...]

cloudy
> >and after I added more pectic enzyme it cleared up.
> >
> >Pepper & Herb Cooking Wine
> >
> >1 1/2 lbs of green peppers (frozen and thawed)
> >6 cups of dried herbs (oregano, parsley, basil) Simmered & then steeped

in 2
> >quarts of water for 2 hours - then strained the herbs out so I was left

with
> >a bit more than 1 quart of very brown, fragrant liquid
> >3 cups sugar
> >Water to 1 gallon or a bit more for top up
> >1 tsp yeast nutrient
> >1/4 tsp tannin
> >1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
> >3 tsp acid blend
> >1 campden tablet
> >1 package of yeast - I used Montrachet
> >
> >"Negodki" > wrote in message
> >> Darlene, could you post it? It seems that everyone is interested.

Deadend

"Dar V" > wrote in message >...

Hey Dave and Dar,

Yep. I agree wholeheartedly here. I posted in the original thread
that's where a fair portion of my wine ends up.

> > Since those days of her teaching me to cook I've been to cooking
> > school and believe me most cooks use wine in EVERY dish.

Yep, and you don't have to pay US$25 per plate to taste the wonderful
dishes made with wine--you can do it yourself! Hell, if you can MAKE
wine you can certainly learn to COOK!

Not only does it taste good, but I remember reading somewhere that the
way wine accents the food, it "brightens" the flavors, that you end up
using less salt. Also, because it makes a wonderful sauce in its own
right, I'd say you can use less fat as well.

You listed great ideas:

> > Chicken marinated in tequila and lime juice is great. (ok it isn't
> > wine but since we're on the subject)

Absoulutely; tequila makes a great marinade. I got rave reviews from
salmon skewers I made with a marinade very similar to that. Here goes
(from memory):
Tequila, lime juice, pineapple juice, oyster sauce, a little brown
sugar, garlic paste, onion powder, some GOOD hot sauce, and whatever
other spices fell into the mix. There are no exact measurements, only
proportions, and I needed a marinade with enough liquid that it would
cover all the skewers I had premade. This does double duty; not only
is your meat or fish ultra tender and flavorful, but the skewers are
well soaked and less likely to charcoal when you grill them. This
combo makes for great caramelization on the outside of the fish as it
cooks. The oyster sauce provides all of the salt, but it also gives
that extra flavor boost and the "wow, what's this?" factor for your
guests!

Also, note that I said GOOD hot sauce for this recipe, i.e. made from
PEPPERS damn it. If the first ingredient in your hot sauce is vinegar,
THROW it AWAY!

> > Pork chops either marinated or cooked in Port wine are fantastic (try
> > it you'll NEVER go back I promise).

Never tried that. Sounds good. I love port with duck, though. Fabulous
pairing, and good pork has some big flavors to it that would hold up
with the port. I wonder how lamb would go?

> > Blackberry Port

Sounds wonderful! Wish you could pass me a glass.

> > Montepulciano

Not familiar with that one.

> > Thanks all for the great discussions in this group. I admit I lay in
> > the background a bit but I really enjoy your posts.

I used to "lurk" alot myself, but now I'm really an active poster all
of the sudden. I think I learn more by doing!

Regards,

Deadend
Dave Stacy

>Absoulutely; tequila makes a great marinade. I got rave reviews from
>salmon skewers I made with a marinade very similar to that. Here goes
>(from memory):
>Tequila, lime juice, pineapple juice,

<snip>
Man that sounds great!

>> > Montepulciano

>Not familiar with that one.

Italian grape from Tuscany a great italian red in the sangiovice
(spelling?) family.

Dave
Negodki

"Dave Stacy" > wrote:

> Italian grape from Tuscany a great italian red in the sangiovice
> (spelling?) family.

Montepulciano is related, but considerably different from Sangiovese. They
both make fine, but distinctly different, wines.