Will

Default Secondary Fermenter Eruption

I moved my pear wine to the secondary fermenter after 7 days, as the
recipe called for. Within an hour "wine" was flowing down the side of
the carboy. What happened? Was it beacuse the must was unfiltered, did
I transfer the wine too soon? the SG was 1.04. Any thoughts?
Thanks
J Dixon

Will, By racking the wine over you did a couple things. One, you drove off a
bunch of Carbon Dioxide (co2), and the other thing you did was aerate the
must thereby giving the yeast oxygen and reinvigorating them to complete the
fermentation. Your wine is not "dry"- meaning it still contains residual
sugar that the yeast will ferment. Let it finish out, and top it up to limit
airspace and dont worry about it for a month.
John Dixon
"Will" > wrote in message
> I moved my pear wine to the secondary fermenter after 7 days, as the
> recipe called for. Within an hour "wine" was flowing down the side of
> the carboy. What happened? Was it beacuse the must was unfiltered, did
> I transfer the wine too soon? the SG was 1.04. Any thoughts?
> Thanks

Tom S

"Will" > wrote in message
> I moved my pear wine to the secondary fermenter after 7 days, as the
> recipe called for. Within an hour "wine" was flowing down the side of
> the carboy. What happened? Was it beacuse the must was unfiltered, did
> I transfer the wine too soon? the SG was 1.04. Any thoughts?

Yep, you transferred it too soon. Don't use days as your yardstick; use
Brix and the lack of activity (bubbling).

Tom S

Will

Isn't a month too long to be in the primary fermenter (7 gallon pail)?

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 02:20:16 GMT, "J Dixon"
> wrote:

>Will, By racking the wine over you did a couple things. One, you drove off a
>bunch of Carbon Dioxide (co2), and the other thing you did was aerate the
>must thereby giving the yeast oxygen and reinvigorating them to complete the
>fermentation. Your wine is not "dry"- meaning it still contains residual
>sugar that the yeast will ferment. Let it finish out, and top it up to limit
>airspace and dont worry about it for a month.
>John Dixon
>"Will" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I moved my pear wine to the secondary fermenter after 7 days, as the
>> recipe called for. Within an hour "wine" was flowing down the side of
>> the carboy. What happened? Was it beacuse the must was unfiltered, did
>> I transfer the wine too soon? the SG was 1.04. Any thoughts?
>> Thanks

Tom S

"Will" > wrote in message
> Isn't a month too long to be in the primary fermenter (7 gallon pail)?

Yes. I'm sure he omitted to mention that the wine should be moved to carboy
after it goes dry, and put under airlock.

Tom S

25 Litre Fermenter with Tap - But NO Airlock? [email protected] Winemaking 4 22-08-2007 01:46 PM
Fermenter question Mark Winemaking 14 13-01-2007 12:28 AM
airlock on primary fermenter? Ken Dietz Winemaking 11 04-01-2006 07:23 PM
A six gallon kit in a ~5 gallon secondary fermenter Adam Preble Winemaking 4 29-04-2005 03:24 PM
primary fermenter and bleach A.J. Rawls Winemaking 3 26-04-2004 05:20 PM