Denis Marier

Default Distilled Water

I have missed all of this tread. My mother use do drink distilled water
purchased at the pharmacy for medical reason
The word distilled water is interesting. Why use distilled water to make
wine or beer?
Unless the distilled water is reconstituted its value is next to nothing.
The distilled water sold in store is of unknown origin. So adding some
chemical to it without knowing what in it at the first place is not a good
practice. In recent market survey it was learned that bottle water is not
controlled and may contain anything from treated municipal water to mineral
water. Should the water supply be contaminated one will be better served by
buying certified reconstituted water recommended by the local wine kit store
or club.

"frederick ploegman" > wrote in message

> "Louise Gagnon" > wrote in message
> > Are you guys saying that if I bring my PH to 3.4 by adding Tartaric

acid,
> > will have the right acidity?
> > Louise)
> >

> Hi Louise
>
> Yup - That's about it. You can tinker with the TA all you like so long
> as you don't allow the pH to drift outside the "acceptable" range.
> Which is why Clyde (et al - including myself) seldom take TA readings
> and rely on taste instead. HTH
>
> Frederick
> South Central PA ;o)

J Dixon

Denis,
They are not talking about using the water to add to wine such as in a
kit. The thread is referring to test samples being diluted with distilled
water so as to not alter the PH level. The point was made that you could
adjust the ph on any water to the standard before testing.... HTH
John Dixon
"Denis Marier" > wrote in message
> I have missed all of this tread. My mother use do drink distilled water
> purchased at the pharmacy for medical reason
> The word distilled water is interesting. Why use distilled water to make
> wine or beer?
> Unless the distilled water is reconstituted its value is next to nothing.
> The distilled water sold in store is of unknown origin. So adding some
> chemical to it without knowing what in it at the first place is not a good
> practice. In recent market survey it was learned that bottle water is not
> controlled and may contain anything from treated municipal water to

mineral
> water. Should the water supply be contaminated one will be better served

by
> buying certified reconstituted water recommended by the local wine kit

store
> or club.
>
> "frederick ploegman" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Louise Gagnon" > wrote in message
> > > Are you guys saying that if I bring my PH to 3.4 by adding Tartaric

> acid,
> > > will have the right acidity?
> > > Louise)
> > >

> > Hi Louise
> >
> > Yup - That's about it. You can tinker with the TA all you like so long
> > as you don't allow the pH to drift outside the "acceptable" range.
> > Which is why Clyde (et al - including myself) seldom take TA readings
> > and rely on taste instead. HTH
> >
> > Frederick
> > South Central PA ;o)

Negodki

"Denis Marier" > wrote:

> I have missed all of this tread.

You may view the entire thread by clicking:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...fts.winemaking

> Why use distilled water to make wine or beer?

To insure that there is nothing in the water that will contaminate or
adversely affect the wine or beer, or adversely affect the fermentation
process, or (in the case under discussion) that would throw off the accuracy
of the acid test being performed.

> Unless the distilled water is reconstituted its value is next to nothing.

What is the "reconstitution" of water, and how will this process increase
the value of (what is by definition) pure water?

> The distilled water sold in store is of unknown origin.

Not so. Every bottle (at least every bottle sold in this country) shows the
place of manufacture.

> So adding some chemical to it without knowing what in it at the first

place is not a good practice.

Distilled water, by legal definition, contains H20 and no other chemicals.

> In recent market survey it was learned that bottle water is not controlled

and may contain anything from treated municipal water to mineral water.

You are referring to a "survey" dealing with a completely different product,
not "distilled water", but rather "purified" or "ionized" or "filtered"
water, sold with the implicit or explicit claim that it is healthier than
tap water. Some brands are little more than municipal tap water. Others are
from mineral springs that have then been in a network of plumbing at the
bottling plant, and thus are not much different than tap water. And others
are decidely purer and free of contaminants and better tasting. None of them
are distilled.

> Should the water supply be contaminated one will be better served by

buying certified reconstituted water recommended by the local wine kit store
or club.

I would be very surprised if any distilled water sold in the US, Canada, or
the UK is contaminated. If it were, one would be better served by using
ordinary tap water, especially if one first ran it through a Brita filter to
remove the chlorine, flourine, and other undesireables that charcoal
filtering can remove.

I can't imagine what "reconstituted water" might be. Reconstituted fruit
juice is juice which was concentrated by removing a large portion of the
water, and then later "reconstituted" by adding water in the original
proportions. How that could be done with water, or why anyone would do so,
is a mystery to me. I look forward to your explanation.

Denis Marier

Thanks to put me on track.
Something must be wrong because I can not access all the postings from my
server (Sympatico).

news

distilled water? [email protected] Tea 3 05-05-2008 07:52 PM
Distilled Water Test User69 Winemaking 1 28-10-2005 05:30 PM
Distilled water, pH and TA William Frazier Winemaking 6 28-09-2004 12:08 AM
Distilled water? ---MIKE--- Coffee 2 25-02-2004 03:20 PM
Distilled Water/pH vs. TA Rene Winemaking 3 02-10-2003 01:44 PM