Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default SG during fermentation - Pomegranate Wine

I'm instructions from a kit to make a batch of pomegranate wine. The
kit was successful so I thought the process steps would work with the
fruit wine. I'm not an expert by any means, but I do have grasp of the
fundamentals.

I started with an SG of 1.07 and today it is down to 1.048.
Fermentation is slow, but steady.

Here's my question--the instructions say to rack the wine at or below,
but not above, 1.020. Can anyone tell me what is magic about 1.020?
I'm not challenging the instruction, I'm just trying to understand a
fine point.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 23, 3:59*pm, Casey Wilson > wrote:
> I'm instructions from a kit to make a batch of pomegranate wine. The
> kit was successful so I thought the process steps would work with the
> fruit wine. I'm not an expert by any means, but I do have grasp of the
> fundamentals.
>
> I started with an SG of 1.07 and today it is down to 1.048.
> Fermentation is slow, but steady.
>
> Here's my question--the instructions say to rack the wine at or below,
> but not above, 1.020. Can anyone tell me what is magic about 1.020?
> I'm not challenging the instruction, I'm just trying to understand a
> fine point.

That was... I'm using instructions....
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

With a starting gravity of 1.070, the wine will have less alcohol. You
should expect it to be an early drinking wine and don't plan on
cellaring it for a long time.

It's a good idea to rack when fermentation is largely, but not
entirely, complete. The last little bit of fermentation will consume
any oxygen introduced into the wine during racking. Racking too early
can disrupt and slow down fermentation. It's good to charge through
primary fermentation in a reasonably short time.

Greg G.