Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default first tasting of 2008 vintage

I went to a BBQ at my Mom's house this afternoon and I took two
bottles of my 2008 peach and my 2008 blackberry wine.

The blackberry wine was very good, but the peach wine was still a
little raw. Still, the alcohol content was there and the BBQ was a
very pleasant party for all.

I plan on letting the remainder of the bottling sit until about
September for trying it again. At that time the peach ought to be a
lot more mellow, and the blackberry ought to be even better.

My only comment about the blackberry is that I think I should use
more blackberries for greater fragrance. I think I used about 5 lbs
of blackberries per gallon for this last 2 gallon batch. This coming
year I hope to use about 8 lbs of blackberries per gallon for a 5
gallon batch.

I sweetened the blackberry wine with about 1/4 cup of sugar per
gallon and the peach wine with about 1/2 cup of sugar per gallon.
Neither wine seemed oversweet to me.

--
Sonnybeach

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 01:57:11 +0000 (UTC), sonnybeach
> wrote:

>I went to a BBQ at my Mom's house this afternoon and I took two
>bottles of my 2008 peach and my 2008 blackberry wine.
>
>The blackberry wine was very good, but the peach wine was still a
>little raw. Still, the alcohol content was there and the BBQ was a
>very pleasant party for all.

A question.

Did you add tannin, and if so approximately how much, per unit
(gallon, liter, etc.)

I have made several fruit wines from tropical fruits and have never
been really satisfied with the results and I believe that the reason
is that I did not use tannin..

cheers,

Schweik
(goodsoldierschweikatgmaildotcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Good Soldier Schweik > wrote:

> A question.
>
> Did you add tannin, and if so approximately how much, per unit
> (gallon, liter, etc.)
>
> I have made several fruit wines from tropical fruits and have never
> been really satisfied with the results and I believe that the reason
> is that I did not use tannin..
>
> cheers,
>
> Schweik
> (goodsoldierschweikatgmaildotcom)

No I didn't use any tannin. I thought tannin was only for red grape
wine. Anyway, I didn't use any in either of these batches.

--
Sonnybeach

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:13:16 +0000 (UTC), sonnybeach
> wrote:

>Good Soldier Schweik > wrote:
>>
>> A question.
>>
>> Did you add tannin, and if so approximately how much, per unit
>> (gallon, liter, etc.)
>>
>> I have made several fruit wines from tropical fruits and have never
>> been really satisfied with the results and I believe that the reason
>> is that I did not use tannin..
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Schweik
>> (goodsoldierschweikatgmaildotcom)

>No I didn't use any tannin. I thought tannin was only for red grape
>wine. Anyway, I didn't use any in either of these batches.

I believe that you mentioned adding sugar. Without the sugar does the
wine taste very acidic?

I believe that red wines have tannin and white wines do not and are
more acidic. I have been treating fruit wines that way but other then
the odd lot (just to make you believe that the next one will be
better) they have been rather unsatisfactory. I can't think of a
better word as they don't taste "bad" just not as good as I hope for.

cheers,

Schweik
(goodsoldierschweikatgmaildotcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Jack Keller considers 6 lbs of blackberries per gallon to be a heavy
bodied wine, so don't over do it. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net
Look on the recipe page. He is the fruit wine expert.

Jack often calls for the addition of grape tannin to give fruit wines
a little more "bite".

He also says that peaches usually need a second ingredient to give
sufficient body.

On Jun 27, 8:57 pm, sonnybeach > wrote:
> I went to a BBQ at my Mom's house this afternoon and I took two
> bottles of my 2008 peach and my 2008 blackberry wine.
>
> The blackberry wine was very good, but the peach wine was still a
> little raw. Still, the alcohol content was there and the BBQ was a
> very pleasant party for all.
>
> I plan on letting the remainder of the bottling sit until about
> September for trying it again. At that time the peach ought to be a
> lot more mellow, and the blackberry ought to be even better.
>
> My only comment about the blackberry is that I think I should use
> more blackberries for greater fragrance. I think I used about 5 lbs
> of blackberries per gallon for this last 2 gallon batch. This coming
> year I hope to use about 8 lbs of blackberries per gallon for a 5
> gallon batch.
>
> I sweetened the blackberry wine with about 1/4 cup of sugar per
> gallon and the peach wine with about 1/2 cup of sugar per gallon.
> Neither wine seemed oversweet to me.
>
> --
> Sonnybeach

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 20:00:42 -0700 (PDT), shbailey
> wrote:

>Jack Keller considers 6 lbs of blackberries per gallon to be a heavy
>bodied wine, so don't over do it. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net
>Look on the recipe page. He is the fruit wine expert.
>
>Jack often calls for the addition of grape tannin to give fruit wines
>a little more "bite".
>
>He also says that peaches usually need a second ingredient to give
>sufficient body.

I just made a batch of lychee wine from Jack's recipe. It has finished
fermenting and is now in 20 Ltr. bottles. Hopefully it will be better
some of my other efforts :-)

>On Jun 27, 8:57 pm, sonnybeach > wrote:
>> I went to a BBQ at my Mom's house this afternoon and I took two
>> bottles of my 2008 peach and my 2008 blackberry wine.
>>
>> The blackberry wine was very good, but the peach wine was still a
>> little raw. Still, the alcohol content was there and the BBQ was a
>> very pleasant party for all.
>>
>> I plan on letting the remainder of the bottling sit until about
>> September for trying it again. At that time the peach ought to be a
>> lot more mellow, and the blackberry ought to be even better.
>>
>> My only comment about the blackberry is that I think I should use
>> more blackberries for greater fragrance. I think I used about 5 lbs
>> of blackberries per gallon for this last 2 gallon batch. This coming
>> year I hope to use about 8 lbs of blackberries per gallon for a 5
>> gallon batch.
>>
>> I sweetened the blackberry wine with about 1/4 cup of sugar per
>> gallon and the peach wine with about 1/2 cup of sugar per gallon.
>> Neither wine seemed oversweet to me.
>>
>> --
>> Sonnybeach

cheers,

Schweik
(goodsoldierschweikatgmaildotcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Good Soldier Schweik > wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 20:00:42 -0700 (PDT), shbailey
> > wrote:
>
>>Jack Keller considers 6 lbs of blackberries per gallon to be a heavy
>>bodied wine, so don't over do it. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net
>>Look on the recipe page. He is the fruit wine expert.
>>
>>Jack often calls for the addition of grape tannin to give fruit wines
>>a little more "bite".
>>
>>He also says that peaches usually need a second ingredient to give
>>sufficient body.

That sounds like a good idea for my peach wine. It needs something
more. Anyone have any suggestions about what to add?

> I just made a batch of lychee wine from Jack's recipe. It has finished
> fermenting and is now in 20 Ltr. bottles. Hopefully it will be better
> some of my other efforts :-)
>

>>On Jun 27, 8:57 pm, sonnybeach > wrote:
>>> I went to a BBQ at my Mom's house this afternoon and I took two
>>> bottles of my 2008 peach and my 2008 blackberry wine.
>>>
>>> The blackberry wine was very good, but the peach wine was still a
>>> little raw. Still, the alcohol content was there and the BBQ was a
>>> very pleasant party for all.
>>>
>>> I plan on letting the remainder of the bottling sit until about
>>> September for trying it again. At that time the peach ought to be a
>>> lot more mellow, and the blackberry ought to be even better.
>>>
>>> My only comment about the blackberry is that I think I should use
>>> more blackberries for greater fragrance. I think I used about 5 lbs
>>> of blackberries per gallon for this last 2 gallon batch. This coming
>>> year I hope to use about 8 lbs of blackberries per gallon for a 5
>>> gallon batch.
>>>
>>> I sweetened the blackberry wine with about 1/4 cup of sugar per
>>> gallon and the peach wine with about 1/2 cup of sugar per gallon.
>>> Neither wine seemed oversweet to me.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sonnybeach

> cheers,
>
> Schweik
> (goodsoldierschweikatgmaildotcom)

I'm planning on making about 5 gallons of blackberry this year and as
much peach as I can with the fruit I get from my one tree. I also
have a crabapple tree on my property and I have seen at least one
recipe for crabapple wine, so I'm thinking of trying a gallon or two
of that this year.

I have the Keller site bookmarked so I'll go back and read that more
carefully about the peach wine additions.

--
Sonnybeach

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"shbailey" > wrote in message
> Jack Keller considers 6 lbs of blackberries per gallon to be a heavy
> bodied wine, so don't over do it. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net
> Look on the recipe page.

Interesting website. You are certainly up on the latest. All in all,
one can't help but infer or possibly intuit that this will be a robust
year \(hopefully us
included in our quest for the brass ring)

mk5000

""and that's the confusion
it's so hard for me
to draw a conclusion
here is my heart"--love will find a way, yes