Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default CWE - gonners?

In the 80's I made an Asti from a CWE Italian white grape concentrate. The
CWE concentrate did have a remarkably Asti-like taste, when combined with a
Grey Owl lab, champagne agar yeast.

At the time, I didn't realise that Asti Spumanti was a CO2 injection
process. Needless to say, 15 of the 20 carefully collected and wired, Asti
bottles exploded, when I introduced them to Mr.Secondary Fermentation.

I'd like to reproduce that Italian grape taste, not sparkling but as a table
wine. It seems that both CWE and Grey Owl are no longer. A quick google
didn't get any Italian style concentrates. Can anyone help out here? TIA.

Bertie

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Dec 20, 9:40 am, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
> In the 80's I made an Asti from a CWE Italian white grape concentrate. The
> CWE concentrate did have a remarkably Asti-like taste, when combined with a
> Grey Owl lab, champagne agar yeast.
>
> At the time, I didn't realise that Asti Spumanti was a CO2 injection
> process. Needless to say, 15 of the 20 carefully collected and wired, Asti
> bottles exploded, when I introduced them to Mr.Secondary Fermentation.
>
> I'd like to reproduce that Italian grape taste, not sparkling but as a table
> wine. It seems that both CWE and Grey Owl are no longer. A quick google
> didn't get any Italian style concentrates. Can anyone help out here? TIA.
>
> Bertie

Asti Spumante is made from the Muscat Blanc (Muscat Canelli) grape.
Do a search for muscat concentrate or muscat kit.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"shbailey" < wrote in message
> On Dec 20, 9:40 am, "Bertie Doe" wrote:

>> I'd like to reproduce that Italian grape taste, not sparkling but as a
>> table
>> wine. It seems that both CWE and Grey Owl are no longer. A quick google
>> didn't get any Italian style concentrates. Can anyone help out here? TIA.
>>

> Asti Spumante is made from the Muscat Blanc (Muscat Canelli) grape.
> Do a search for muscat concentrate or muscat kit.

Thanks for the info sh, I now know what to aim for.

Bertie