Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default muscat white wines

Wondered if anyone had tried to grow muscat grapes and make a dessert
muscat wine. I did a batch this fall, but think it fermented to
aggressively and 'cooked' out the aroma. Wine is OK, but not very
floral as it was at harvest.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I grow a few Muscat vines here in the Arizona desert. I just did my
first small batch this year. I haven't bottled it yet, but I have had
a few small tastes and so far it tastes and smells great.

As you've alluded to, the secret with all white wines (and meads for
that matter) is temperature control during fermentation. Since I
generally work with small batches, it's easy for me to set the primary
in the sink and keep ice water around the base. This seems to help
considerably in retaining subtle aromas and flavors. Keeping the
primary in a cool cellar should also work well.

Yeast selection is also important. For most whites and meads I really
like D47.

Greg G.