Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Oxiclean/Oxyclean

A while back someone posted about using Oxyclean as a cleaner
sterilizer. He also mentioned using it as a spray on his grapes against
fungal activity. Was it Oxyclean or Oxiclean? They are very different.
Oxyclean is from a Canadian company and Oxiclean is from a US company.

If it was used on vegetation, how effective was it and what was the
mixing ratio used? I've got a little anthracnose that it might be worth
experimenting with if I could be sure it was safe.

Dick
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Dick Heckman" > wrote in message
>A while back someone posted about using Oxyclean as a cleaner sterilizer.
>He also mentioned using it as a spray on his grapes against fungal
>activity. Was it Oxyclean or Oxiclean? They are very different. Oxyclean
>is from a Canadian company and Oxiclean is from a US company.
>
> If it was used on vegetation, how effective was it and what was the mixing
> ratio used? I've got a little anthracnose that it might be worth
> experimenting with if I could be sure it was safe.
>
> Dick

Both materials produce hydrogen peroxide.
Peroxide is just about the last thing you want in your wine (unless you
really like Sherry).
Lum

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Dick Heckman wrote:
> A while back someone posted about using Oxyclean as a cleaner
> sterilizer. He also mentioned using it as a spray on his grapes against
> fungal activity. Was it Oxyclean or Oxiclean? They are very different.
> Oxyclean is from a Canadian company and Oxiclean is from a US company.
>
> If it was used on vegetation, how effective was it and what was the
> mixing ratio used? I've got a little anthracnose that it might be worth
> experimenting with if I could be sure it was safe.
>
> Dick

Dick,

It may have been me.

Some time ago I researched the patents on some peroxide-based fruit
sprays, and quickly realized that they were basically sodium
percarbonate, which is the active ingredient in Oxyclean (60%, IIRC).The
literature indicated a wide range of applications and susceptible fungi
& bacteria, and little in the way of limitations. I use it in rotation
with other, more "technical" sprays, and especially late in the season,
just before the prolonged rainy spells we sometimes get before harvest.
I like the idea of the rain washing any residue away, and it's cheap
enough to be a "throwaway" spray for a spell of wet weather, without
counting toward the limits imposed on the "technical" sprays.

I'm in complete agreement with Lum about letting it get into the wine,
but I think it is broken down pretty quickly in the vineyard. Heat,
light and moisture cause it to breakdown.

Here's a link to a (virtually chemically identical) product which is in
fact intended for sterilizing barrels & hoses.

http://www.barrelbuilders.com/admin/...clean_uses.pdf

Note, however, the citric acid rinse to decompose any residual
percarbonate on the equipment.

If I recall, the mixing ratio was quite flexible, but I one scoop per
four gallons is the ratio I have in my journal. At the time I'd done the
math. This stuff isn't exactly rocket science; it's pretty benign.

--
Mike MTM, Cokesbury, NJ, USA

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Mike,

It was me. Search the group for "Spray Recomendations" and read the
thread. I've been using it for about 4 years now. Oxiclean breaks down
to washing soda ( Soda ash) and hydrogen peroxide. What also is great
about it is it's PH is 11 the same as bordeaux mixture and a PH that
is a fungal deterent. I premix it with water before adding it to the
sprayer to ensure all the Oxiclean is in liquid form so no granules
are left on the vines, just washing soda and hydrogen peroxide.
Actually, some oxygen is good for the fermentation at the beginning
but I've haven't experienced any bad side effects from spraying it,
either on the plants or in the wine. BTW, it's better if you don't
wait until after you start seeing fungus to spray it.
it's always the first spray of the year on the wood after I'm done
pruning to try and kill overwintering fungus. It would be bad to spray
it after harvest either.

Bob

Jun 16, 8:00*pm, Mike McGeough > wrote:
> Dick Heckman wrote:
> > A while back someone posted about using Oxyclean as a cleaner
> > sterilizer. *He also mentioned using it as a spray on his grapes against
> > fungal activity. *Was it Oxyclean or Oxiclean? *They are very different.
> > *Oxyclean is from a Canadian company and Oxiclean is from a US company..

> > If it was used on vegetation, how effective was it and what was the
> > mixing ratio used? *I've got a little anthracnose that it might be worth
> > experimenting with if I could be sure it was safe.

> > Dick

> Dick,
>
> It may have been me.
>
> Some time ago I researched the patents on some peroxide-based fruit
> sprays, and quickly realized that they were basically sodium
> percarbonate, which is the active ingredient in Oxyclean (60%, IIRC).The
> literature indicated a wide range of applications and susceptible fungi
> & bacteria, and little in the way of limitations. I use it in rotation
> with other, more "technical" sprays, and especially late in the season,
> just before the prolonged rainy spells we sometimes get before harvest.
> I like the idea of the rain washing any residue away, and it's cheap
> enough to be a "throwaway" spray for a spell of wet weather, without
> counting toward the limits imposed on the "technical" sprays.
>
> I'm in complete agreement with Lum about letting it get into the wine,
> but I think it is broken down pretty quickly in the vineyard. Heat,
> light and moisture cause it to breakdown.
>
> Here's a link to a (virtually chemically identical) product which is in
> fact intended for sterilizing barrels & hoses.
>
> http://www.barrelbuilders.com/admin/...clean_uses.pdf
>
> Note, however, the citric acid rinse to decompose any residual
> percarbonate on the equipment.
>
> If I recall, the mixing ratio was quite flexible, but I one scoop per
> four gallons is the ratio I have in my journal. At the time I'd done the
> math. This stuff isn't exactly rocket science; it's pretty benign.
>
> --
> Mike MTM, Cokesbury, NJ, USA

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Oops,

Sorry, Bob. Didn't mean to steal your thunder. I didn't recall if I'd
ever mentioned it here .

I'm amazed at how little known it is for this purpose, yet how many
proprietary products are little more than percarbonate.

--
Mike MTM, Cokesbury, NJ, USA