Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default What is this floating bobbing stuff in my wine?

Hey there,

I recently embarked upon winemaking and have about 6 demijohns
bubbling away. However, one gallon that i made with Dandelions petals
and some pineapple juice (i was feeling adventurous!) has devloped a
frothy looking surface layer that looks a bit like curdled milk. There
is also a layer of this 'stuff' at the bottom. Fermentation is strong
but these little globules of 'stuff' bob up and down and circulate
around the demijohn passing between the two layers.

What is this - is the wine useless, or is this some natural yeast
thing that may have come with the Dandelions i picked?

There is no unpleasant smell that i can detect, just the slightly
yeasty smell that wine usually has.

Thanks!
Melissa
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jun 11, 7:41*am, Melissa > wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I recently embarked upon winemaking and have about 6 demijohns
> bubbling away. However, one gallon that i made with Dandelions petals
> and some pineapple juice (i was feeling adventurous!) has devloped a
> frothy looking surface layer that looks a bit like curdled milk. There
> is also a layer of this 'stuff' at the bottom. Fermentation is strong
> but these little globules of 'stuff' bob up and down and circulate
> around the demijohn passing between the two layers.
>
> What is this - is the wine useless, or is this some natural yeast
> thing that may have come with the Dandelions i picked?
>
> There is no unpleasant smell that i can detect, just the slightly
> yeasty smell that wine usually has.
>
> Thanks!
> Melissa

Souinds like a clupm of yeast being siuspended by CO2, stir it up.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article
..com>, Melissa > writes
>I recently embarked upon winemaking and have about 6 demijohns
>bubbling away. However, one gallon that i made with Dandelions petals
>and some pineapple juice (i was feeling adventurous!) has devloped a
>frothy looking surface layer that looks a bit like curdled milk. There
>is also a layer of this 'stuff' at the bottom. Fermentation is strong
>but these little globules of 'stuff' bob up and down and circulate
>around the demijohn passing between the two layers.

Last autumn I made 3 demijohns of pear + melon + pineapple wine. That
behaved exactly the same way. It is now almost perfectly clear and the
sediment has settled down.

That floating surface layer on mine was the colour of condensed milk and
about an inch thick. It looked disgusting. The fluffy bits that
floated up and sank down were interesting. That's all gone now and
become sediment.

It smells delicious: I really ought to be thinking about bottling it
now.

--
Sent from Simon Reed >.
Use the Reply-To address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article
s.com>, Joe Sallustio > writes
>Souinds like a clupm of yeast being siuspended by CO2, stir it up.

However, every time you interfere with it you risk contamination.

With demijohns, you can just 'swirl' them without taking the bung out.

wine stuff johnny rocket Wine 0 01-02-2008 06:06 PM
Cork Crumbs Floating in Wine Glass [email protected] Wine 12 05-12-2007 03:47 PM
wierd floating stuff alien Winemaking 12 04-12-2004 07:17 PM
Bobbing Apple Punch T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 10-11-2004 02:09 PM
Advice needed: Wine storage and floating lids monkeybug Winemaking 9 30-10-2004 05:26 PM