Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Prices

As september draws near I am reviewing pricing for California Grapes.

I live in the Cleveland Ohio area and am planning on buying about
1400lbs of California Cabernet Sauvignon.

There are several sources here in ohio and I am starting to compare
prices. It seems to me that most of these grapes are Central Valley/
Lodi/Generic Cab Sauv.

I'm getting the sense that $.95 - $1.00 /lb is the norm.

Is that right?

Seems kinda high. Thoughts?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

hi Wayne! if you're getting the typical 35 lb lug, that works out to about
$33-$35 a box (duh!) Last year our guys in the Boston wholesale produce
center were getting $22-$28 a box for CS depending on how well the
wholesale vendor knew/liked you. The big wine hobby dealer in the 'burbs
was getting in the mid $30's for the same Lodi grapes w/ a pre-order & NR
deposit.

When last I spoke with our "godfather" at the end of April, he was already
moaning about the upcoming freight charges & Diesel was still well under $4
a gallon. At that time he was about to start making this year's deals &
ballparking high 20's to mid 30's per case average for reds AND he was
considering cutting out all white grapes; he didn't think the demand here
justified a whole trailerload at higher freight & doesn't want to chance a
loss on them. That windy discourse being said... $35/box $1/lb. doesn't
seem unreasonable now. One of the London papers claims that diesel fell 10%
this week ( not reflected at pumps yet) and a couple of economists ( the
guys in the tinfoil hats?) claim that the oil speculation peak has been
reached therefore prices ought to drop soon. I take this with a shakerful of
salt.

I look at it this way: the guys who've already signed their contracts aren't
gonna be gouging here because there are enough vendors in our area to keep
grape prices relatively consistent, but not cheap. Plus, they may short
order on restocking which can keep prices up. My guy's also noticing a
marked decline in the overall elder "goombah" population who were a big part
of his base thus giving him another reason to keep inventory levels under
control (and prices stable) since he had stock well into October last year &
doesn't want a repeat this year. I'm expecting to pay low $30's but will try
to wait & see how pricing plays out in reality. If a buck a pound is
relatively consistent in Cleveland with last year's pricing then locking
that price in seems like an attractive proposition now. Unless this year's
crop takes it in the shorts & oil prices drop, then you're obligated to buy
crappy grapes at a bogus price.

I'd wait if that's an option. Have any long range crop predictions been
issued at this early date? Any bizarre weather patterns in the future? I
don't know if you're buying from a produce broker or a smaller retailer, but
I suspect that the greater Cleveland produce scene is similar to Boston's,
so comparison shopping would be on my to-do list.

HTH, JMHO, YMMV, OMG WTF, etc, sorry for being long winded, regards, bob

"Wayne Harris" > wrote in message
> As september draws near I am reviewing pricing for California Grapes.
>

> I live in the Cleveland Ohio area and am planning on buying about
> 1400lbs of California Cabernet Sauvignon.
>
> There are several sources here in ohio and I am starting to compare
> prices. It seems to me that most of these grapes are Central Valley/
> Lodi/Generic Cab Sauv.
>
> I'm getting the sense that $.95 - $1.00 /lb is the norm.
>
> Is that right?
>
> Seems kinda high. Thoughts?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Wayne Harris wrote:

> As september draws near I am reviewing pricing
> for California Grapes.
>

> I live in the Cleveland Ohio area and am
> planning on buying about 1400lbs of California
> Cabernet Sauvignon.
>
> There are several sources here in ohio and I am
> starting to compare
> prices. It seems to me that most of these
> grapes are Central Valley/ Lodi/Generic Cab
> Sauv.
>
> I'm getting the sense that $.95 - $1.00 /lb is
> the norm.
>
> Is that right?
>
> Seems kinda high. Thoughts?

As the ole saying goes, you gets what you pay for.

No, that price, IMHO is NOT high. Locally grown
grapes here in Central Maryland cost more than
that, BUT again IMHO the quality is better.

I have a backyard vineyard of 110 vines and if I
had to figure out the cost per pound to grow my
own wine - well, I could not afford to drink it.

I have made wine from the Central California
grapes and although OK, is is just not my style.
I do not like jammy, high alcohol, low acid wine.

This year I got some grapes from Argentina, in
April (Malbec). The grapes were in great shape
and the chemistries were perfect (not rocket fuel
material). The price was about $140 for 50 kilos
(110 pounds). Although still in carboy, I can
say that so far the price was worth it.

If you are interested, the April / May issue of
"Winemaker Magazine" has an article on South
American grapes and distributors. It looks like
there is a distributor in Lowellville, OH. I
don't know where that is in Ohio. If you decide
to go for it, you will have to wait until next
spring - their seasons are the opposite of ours.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Wayne,
You are close to me so our costs should be similar. I'm in
Pittsburgh. We have two big suppliers of grapes and a couple smaller
ones; Consumers Produce has a webite you can pricing on for
comparison. Ron Casertano is the grape guy. Premier Produce doesn't
have a website but just call them and ask for Jay in late August for
info on grapes. Both sell Central Valley grapes and juice and both
get an ungodly amount so pricing is usually pretty good. You are
closer to Erie; you may want to check out Presque Isle Wine Cellars
too.

I paid around $25 a 33-36 pound lug last year.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I get my juice / grapes from www.GinoPinto.com He is in Hammonton NJ. It may
be worth your time to order and pick up from him as I do. He gets Chilean
( done for this year ), California and Italian juice and grapes. Pricing is
good.
Tom

--

Home of the
MOON RIVER BREWERY
"Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote in message
. ..
> Wayne Harris wrote:
>
>> As september draws near I am reviewing pricing
>> for California Grapes.
>>

>> I live in the Cleveland Ohio area and am
>> planning on buying about 1400lbs of California
>> Cabernet Sauvignon.
>>
>> There are several sources here in ohio and I am
>> starting to compare
>> prices. It seems to me that most of these
>> grapes are Central Valley/ Lodi/Generic Cab
>> Sauv.
>>
>> I'm getting the sense that $.95 - $1.00 /lb is
>> the norm.
>>
>> Is that right?
>>
>> Seems kinda high. Thoughts?

> As the ole saying goes, you gets what you pay for.
>
> No, that price, IMHO is NOT high. Locally grown
> grapes here in Central Maryland cost more than
> that, BUT again IMHO the quality is better.
>
> I have a backyard vineyard of 110 vines and if I
> had to figure out the cost per pound to grow my
> own wine - well, I could not afford to drink it.
>
> I have made wine from the Central California
> grapes and although OK, is is just not my style.
> I do not like jammy, high alcohol, low acid wine.
>
> This year I got some grapes from Argentina, in
> April (Malbec). The grapes were in great shape
> and the chemistries were perfect (not rocket fuel
> material). The price was about $140 for 50 kilos
> (110 pounds). Although still in carboy, I can
> say that so far the price was worth it.
>
> If you are interested, the April / May issue of
> "Winemaker Magazine" has an article on South
> American grapes and distributors. It looks like
> there is a distributor in Lowellville, OH. I
> don't know where that is in Ohio. If you decide
> to go for it, you will have to wait until next
> spring - their seasons are the opposite of ours.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jun 7, 11:31*am, "Tom" > wrote:
> I get my juice / grapes fromwww.GinoPinto.comHe is in Hammonton NJ. It may
> be worth your time to order and pick up from him as I do. He gets Chilean
> ( done for this year ), California and Italian juice and grapes. Pricing is
> good.
> Tom
>
> --
>
> * * * * * Home of the
> MOON RIVER BREWERY
> * * * * * * * * *and
> DELANCO VINEYARDS
> "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote in messagenews:sdydnbo9hZwuTdTVnZ2dnUVZ_rrinZ2d@comca st.com...
>

> > Wayne Harris wrote:

> >> As september draws near I am reviewing pricing
> >> for California Grapes.

> >> I live in the Cleveland Ohio area and am
> >> planning on buying about 1400lbs of California
> >> Cabernet Sauvignon.

> >> There are several sources here in ohio and I am
> >> starting to compare
> >> prices. *It seems to me that most of these
> >> grapes are Central Valley/ Lodi/Generic Cab
> >> Sauv.

> >> I'm getting the sense that $.95 - $1.00 /lb is
> >> the norm.

> >> Is that right?

> >> Seems kinda high. *Thoughts?

> > As the ole saying goes, you gets what you pay for.

> > No, that price, IMHO is NOT high. *Locally grown
> > grapes here in Central Maryland cost more than
> > that, BUT again IMHO the quality is better.

> > I have a backyard vineyard of 110 vines and if I
> > had to figure out the cost per pound to grow my
> > own wine - well, I could not afford to drink it.

> > I have made wine from the Central California
> > grapes and although OK, is is just not my style.
> > I do not like jammy, high alcohol, low acid wine.

> > This year I got some grapes from Argentina, in
> > April (Malbec). *The grapes were in great shape
> > and the chemistries were perfect (not rocket fuel
> > material). *The price was about $140 for 50 kilos
> > (110 pounds). *Although still in carboy, I can
> > say that so far the price was worth it.

> > If you are interested, the April / May issue of
> > "Winemaker Magazine" has an article on South
> > American grapes and distributors. *It looks like
> > there is a distributor in Lowellville, OH. *I
> > don't know where that is in Ohio. *If you decide
> > to go for it, you will have to wait until next
> > spring - their seasons are the opposite of ours.- Hide quoted text -

I will be calling yours this week. Thanks.

In December 2011 Arabica prices underwent significant downward corrections while Robusta prices increased slightly. The average of the 2nd and 3rd positions on the New York futures market fell by 3.4% from 235.25 to 227.23 US cents/lb, causing its di `.@...' Coffee 0 22-01-2012 08:33 PM
Prices Dimitri General Cooking 133 25-08-2008 11:09 PM
Grocery prices, gas prices too high [email protected] Preserving 0 19-01-2008 06:30 PM
Tea and Prices law2255 Tea 5 30-03-2006 05:48 PM