Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Argh! It's still cloudy

On May 18th I added geletin to fine the win I made (out of Concord
juice) and it is still cloudy: it was much brighter before the
fining attempt and I should have left it alone.

Did I just destroy my wine?

Bleh!!!

--
http://desertphile.org
"Why aren't resurrections from the dead noteworthy?" -- Jim Rutz
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jun 4, 11:51*am, Desertphile >
wrote:
> On May 18th I added geletin to fine the win I made (out of Concord
> juice) and it is still cloudy: it was much brighter before the
> fining attempt and I should have left it alone.
>
> Did I just destroy my wine?
>
> Bleh!!!
>
> --http://desertphile.org
> Desertphile's Desert Soliloquy. WARNING: view with plenty of water
> "Why aren't resurrections from the dead noteworthy?" -- Jim Rutz

Gelatine will often stay in solution unless there is a very high
tannin content in the wine. You have two ways to fix this:

Add 1/8 teaspoon grape tannin per gallon (dissolve in cool water) and
stir the tannin solution into the wine. OR add approximately 30 grams
liquid Kieselsol per 5 imperial gallons. Either method should cause
the wine to fall bright in about 7-14 days.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jun 5, 6:04*pm, Desertphile >
wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 05:43:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
> > On Jun 4, 11:51*am, Desertphile >
> > wrote:
> > > On May 18th I added geletin to fine the win I made (out of Concord
> > > juice) and it is still cloudy: it was much brighter before the
> > > fining attempt and I should have left it alone.

> > > Did I just destroy my wine?

> > > Bleh!!!

> > Gelatine will often stay in solution unless there is a very high
> > tannin content in the wine. You have two ways to fix this:

> > Add 1/8 teaspoon grape tannin per gallon (dissolve in cool water) and
> > stir the tannin solution into the wine. OR add approximately 30 grams
> > liquid Kieselsol per 5 imperial gallons. Either method should cause
> > the wine to fall bright in about 7-14 days.

> Thank you. I will have to go into Santa Fe to see if I can find
> "grape tannin." The only wine-making store I know of does not have
> much stuff at the moment.
>
> --http://desertphile.org
> Desertphile's Desert Soliloquy. WARNING: view with plenty of water
> "Why aren't resurrections from the dead noteworthy?" -- Jim Rutz- Hide quoted text -

Drop me an email with your address and I will mail some Kieselsol to
you, no charge