Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Wine Labels

Has anyone had experience in producing their own labels on commercial
products, such as Avery labels. I can find lots of templates and
software to make the design and printing easy. What I'm most interested
in is how difficult they are to remove.

Currently I use the software mentioned but print on plain paper and use
a little bit of brushed on milk to adhere them. Not particularly
impressive to look at but functional enough to identify the wine and
super easy to remove.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jun 2, 6:25*am, Bruce > wrote:
> Has anyone had experience in producing their own labels on commercial
> products, such as Avery labels. *I can find lots of templates and
> software to make the design and printing easy. *What I'm most interested
> in is how difficult they are to remove.
>
> Currently I use the software mentioned but print on plain paper and use
> a little bit of brushed on milk to adhere them. *Not particularly
> impressive to look at but functional enough to identify the wine and
> super easy to remove.

I have not found a label that I like yet, but in getting ready for my
next round of bottling, I have been recycling old bottles furiously.
I have probably de-labled, cleaned and sanitized 10 dozen bottles in
the last year.

What I found is that there really are very few bottles that cannot be
delabeled. Since i am not saving the lables, This process works
pretty well.

My Tools:
-A small paring knife.
-A dinner knife.
-small can of Goo-gone.
-elbow grease

Step 1 Soak them in warm soapy water for about 3 - 4 days.
Step 2 Use a kitchen knife to scrape the lable while holding the
bottle under the stream of water. That gets 95% of the label off.
Step 3 Then I use a scotch pad to remove the rest. (I do the scotch
pad under that stream of luke warm water)
Step 4 Use the paring knife to remove the plastic at the neck of the
bottle.

For the REALLY stubborn labels, (The kind with gummy label backing) I
keep a small can of "Goo-Gone" next to the sink, and shmear a bit of
that on those bottles.

The bottom line is that I have yet to meet a bottle that i cannot
strip. Clearly some are easier than others, but all can be tackled.

Good Luck
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

well, I'm probably over the top on wanting a nice label... marketing is
everything, right? haha.
I use Avery software and labels - I use Avery 6464 3 1/3" x 4" White
removable ID labels. I can send you samples for the Avery software files
(need to have Avery software installed to view) or I could make them
into PDF for anyone to see.
Once I design and print the labels, I use MATTE clear paint spray to
make them water proof. Once dry, I apply.
When done, the label just peels off. No tools, no left over residues.
I stick bottle in dishwasher and it's ready for re-use.

DAve

Bruce wrote:
> Has anyone had experience in producing their own labels on commercial
> products, such as Avery labels. I can find lots of templates and
> software to make the design and printing easy. What I'm most interested
> in is how difficult they are to remove.
>
> Currently I use the software mentioned but print on plain paper and use
> a little bit of brushed on milk to adhere them. Not particularly
> impressive to look at but functional enough to identify the wine and
> super easy to remove.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Wayne Harris wrote:
> On Jun 2, 6:25 am, Bruce > wrote:
>> Has anyone had experience in producing their own labels on commercial
>> products, such as Avery labels. I can find lots of templates and
>> software to make the design and printing easy. What I'm most interested
>> in is how difficult they are to remove.
>>
>> Currently I use the software mentioned but print on plain paper and use
>> a little bit of brushed on milk to adhere them. Not particularly
>> impressive to look at but functional enough to identify the wine and
>> super easy to remove.

> I have not found a label that I like yet, but in getting ready for my
> next round of bottling, I have been recycling old bottles furiously.
> I have probably de-labled, cleaned and sanitized 10 dozen bottles in
> the last year.
>
> What I found is that there really are very few bottles that cannot be
> delabeled. Since i am not saving the lables, This process works
> pretty well.
>
> My Tools:
> -A small paring knife.
> -A dinner knife.
> -small can of Goo-gone.
> -elbow grease
>
> Step 1 Soak them in warm soapy water for about 3 - 4 days.
> Step 2 Use a kitchen knife to scrape the lable while holding the
> bottle under the stream of water. That gets 95% of the label off.
> Step 3 Then I use a scotch pad to remove the rest. (I do the scotch
> pad under that stream of luke warm water)
> Step 4 Use the paring knife to remove the plastic at the neck of the
> bottle.
>
> For the REALLY stubborn labels, (The kind with gummy label backing) I
> keep a small can of "Goo-Gone" next to the sink, and shmear a bit of
> that on those bottles.
>
> The bottom line is that I have yet to meet a bottle that i cannot
> strip. Clearly some are easier than others, but all can be tackled.
>
> Good Luck

Thanks for the information Wayne. It's all about that darn elbow grease
The "Goo-Gone" is a good tip - again thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks Dave - I have sent you an email regarding your sample files as
well as a few other questions.

DAve Allison wrote:
> well, I'm probably over the top on wanting a nice label... marketing is
> everything, right? haha.
> I use Avery software and labels - I use Avery 6464 3 1/3" x 4" White
> removable ID labels. I can send you samples for the Avery software files
> (need to have Avery software installed to view) or I could make them
> into PDF for anyone to see.
> Once I design and print the labels, I use MATTE clear paint spray to
> make them water proof. Once dry, I apply.
> When done, the label just peels off. No tools, no left over residues.
> I stick bottle in dishwasher and it's ready for re-use.
>
> DAve
>

> Bruce wrote:
>> Has anyone had experience in producing their own labels on commercial
>> products, such as Avery labels. I can find lots of templates and
>> software to make the design and printing easy. What I'm most
>> interested in is how difficult they are to remove.
>>
>> Currently I use the software mentioned but print on plain paper and
>> use a little bit of brushed on milk to adhere them. Not particularly
>> impressive to look at but functional enough to identify the wine and
>> super easy to remove.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Avery Labels are great for everything except reusable wine bottles...they're
such a PITA to get off! Nowadays, I set up a label template using
printshop pro, print on 32# resume stock, and cut & paste with a water
soluable glue stick. A hot water soak in the sink does the trick; the label
slides right off without need of sharp objects. I usually print too many
labels, so I have "wine diary" extras immediately on hand circumventing the
need to waterproof them. I'm more about the ease of reusing the bottle
rather than having archivable labels, but having a print overrun of less
than a page (6 labels) is fine by me. JMHO, regards, bob

Bruce" > wrote in message

> Thanks Dave - I have sent you an email regarding your sample files as well
> as a few other questions.
>
> DAve Allison wrote:
>> well, I'm probably over the top on wanting a nice label... marketing is
>> everything, right? haha.
>> I use Avery software and labels - I use Avery 6464 3 1/3" x 4" White
>> removable ID labels. I can send you samples for the Avery software files
>> (need to have Avery software installed to view) or I could make them into
>> PDF for anyone to see.
>> Once I design and print the labels, I use MATTE clear paint spray to make
>> them water proof. Once dry, I apply.
>> When done, the label just peels off. No tools, no left over residues.
>> I stick bottle in dishwasher and it's ready for re-use.
>>
>> DAve
>>

>> Bruce wrote:
>>> Has anyone had experience in producing their own labels on commercial
>>> products, such as Avery labels. I can find lots of templates and
>>> software to make the design and printing easy. What I'm most interested
>>> in is how difficult they are to remove.
>>>
>>> Currently I use the software mentioned but print on plain paper and use
>>> a little bit of brushed on milk to adhere them. Not particularly
>>> impressive to look at but functional enough to identify the wine and
>>> super easy to remove.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Old credit cards or hotel room electronic keys wrap around the bottle
so make great scrappers. Office Depot Avery label equivalents are
half the price and work OK also. Both HP and Epson make waterproof
ink. I prefer acetone to Goo Gone, it's cheap and flashes off; you
still need to wash the bottle either way.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"bobdrob" > wrote in message
> Avery Labels are great for everything except reusable wine
> bottles...they're such a PITA to get off!

I've used Avery or the Staples equivalent labels for years and never had a
problem getting them off; just a soak in warm, soapy water and they peel
right off.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Labels are fun.
I have as much fun making the labels as I do the wine.
I just use MS Publisher and make four labels to a sheet.
I have them printed at Staples using a color laser printer
so the ink doesn't run if moisture condenses on the bottle.
I apply the labels with a glue stick, and they're very easy to
glue on and remove so you can re-use the bottle.

I decided on a theme for my wine, and name them all
after Maine (I live in Maine.) animals:
Morose Moose Merlot
Red Fox Zinfandel
Laughing Lobster Gewurztraminer
Lonely Loon Pinot Grigio
Black Bear Cabernet
Plump Puffin Port
Big Bad Beaver L:iebfraumilch
Sea Urchin Chardonnay
Prickly Porcupine Piesporter
Wily Woodchuck Apple Desert Wine
They all have pictures of the animals on the label
except for Missing Lynx Valpolacella because
it is, of course, missing.

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> Has anyone had experience in producing their own labels on commercial
> products, such as Avery labels. I can find lots of templates and software
> to make the design and printing easy. What I'm most interested in is how
> difficult they are to remove.
>
> Currently I use the software mentioned but print on plain paper and use a
> little bit of brushed on milk to adhere them. Not particularly impressive
> to look at but functional enough to identify the wine and super easy to
> remove.

Wine Labels news.bresnan.net Winemaking 4 28-01-2008 02:15 PM
Wine Labels - what do you use? DAve Allison Winemaking 13 10-05-2006 01:10 AM
wine labels [email protected] Wine 0 26-07-2005 07:53 PM
Art for Wine Labels ReyneH Winemaking 0 30-12-2004 06:57 PM
Art for Wine Labels ReyneH Winemaking 0 30-12-2004 06:57 PM