Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Jim Jim is offline

Default How much oak to add

I am going to be adding French oak chips to my primary fermentor can
anyone tell me how much to add per 100 lbs. of grapes. Thank you in
advance.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Jim wrote:
> I am going to be adding French oak chips to my primary fermentor can
> anyone tell me how much to add per 100 lbs. of grapes. Thank you in
> advance.

100 lbs of grapes will press out to about a carboy, so 2 ounces should
do it.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On May 1, 12:34 pm, ernie > wrote:
> Jim wrote:
> > I am going to be adding French oak chips to my primary fermentor can
> > anyone tell me how much to add per 100 lbs. of grapes. Thank you in
> > advance.

> 100 lbs of grapes will press out to about a carboy, so 2 ounces should
> do it.

Jim,
It depends on how you measure and what you use. If you measure by
weight what you use is a little more predictable as a heads up.
Personally, I would use 2 ounces on a white but 6 on a red but I love
oak, I use chips or beans and measure by weight. As a point of
reference 1 cup dry measure weighs around 5 to 6 ounces by weight.
Prefermentation additions are a little more forgiving of over oaking
and do seem to integrate well too. If you have never added oak
preferment you may want to ere on the low side because you can always
add more later.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Jim,

I wouldn't add any preferment. I've done both before and after and I
don't see any difference. The pros don't ferment in oak so why should
you?? Wine is added to barrels after primary ferment is done in
wineries.

Bob

On May 1, 10:25*am, Jim > wrote:
> I am going to be adding French oak chips to my primary fermentor can
> anyone tell me how much to add per 100 lbs. of grapes. Thank you in
> advance.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

So what are you trying to say? Add oak preferment if you want a cheap
tasting wine?

Bob

On May 3, 8:33*am, gene > wrote:
> Some pros do preferment oak chip additions for lower priced wines.
>
> Gene
>
> wrote:
> > Jim,

> > I wouldn't add any preferment. I've done both before and after and I
> > don't see any difference. The pros don't ferment in oak so why should
> > you?? Wine is added to barrels after primary ferment is done in
> > wineries.

> > Bob

> > On May 1, 10:25 am, Jim > wrote:
> >> I am going to be adding French oak chips to my primary fermentor can
> >> anyone tell me how much to add per 100 lbs. of grapes. Thank you in
> >> advance.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

That sounds pretty accurate to me.

On 2008-05-05 07:34:29 -0700, said:

> So what are you trying to say? Add oak preferment if you want a cheap
> tasting wine?
>
> Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

Not fermenting reds in barrels is done mainly for practical reasons
because punching down and cleanup would be a nightmare. That obviously
doesn't apply to chips or beans. The tannin in oak helps to fix the
colour and improves the body so that's another reason why adding oak
before ferment could be beneficial - although you can achieve the same
result for this application by using tannin products.

Pp

On May 2, 6:48*am, wrote:
> Jim,
>
> I wouldn't add any preferment. I've done both before and after and I
> don't see any difference. The pros don't ferment in oak so why should
> you?? Wine is added to barrels after primary ferment is done in
> wineries.
>
> Bob
>
> On May 1, 10:25*am, Jim > wrote:
>

> > I am going to be adding French oak chips to my primary fermentor can
> > anyone tell me how much to add per 100 lbs. of grapes. Thank you in
> > advance.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Jim Jim is offline

I have been adding tannin to my primary fermentor but if I add enough
oak can I can dispense with the addition of tannin?

On Mon, 5 May 2008 10:15:29 -0700 (PDT), pp >
wrote:

>Not fermenting reds in barrels is done mainly for practical reasons
>because punching down and cleanup would be a nightmare. That obviously
>doesn't apply to chips or beans. The tannin in oak helps to fix the
>colour and improves the body so that's another reason why adding oak
>before ferment could be beneficial - although you can achieve the same
>result for this application by using tannin products.
>
>Pp
>

>On May 2, 6:48*am, wrote:
>> Jim,
>>
>> I wouldn't add any preferment. I've done both before and after and I
>> don't see any difference. The pros don't ferment in oak so why should
>> you?? Wine is added to barrels after primary ferment is done in
>> wineries.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> On May 1, 10:25*am, Jim > wrote:
>>

>> > I am going to be adding French oak chips to my primary fermentor can
>> > anyone tell me how much to add per 100 lbs. of grapes. Thank you in
>> > advance.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On May 2, 7:48 am, wrote:
> Jim,
>
> I wouldn't add any preferment. I've done both before and after and I
> don't see any difference. The pros don't ferment in oak so why should
> you?? Wine is added to barrels after primary ferment is done in
> wineries.
>
> Bob
>
> On May 1, 10:25 am, Jim > wrote:
>
> > I am going to be adding French oak chips to my primary fermentor can
> > anyone tell me how much to add per 100 lbs. of grapes. Thank you in
> > advance.

actually the pros do add oak during fermentation, along with tannins,
and enzymes. we also do cold soak, slow fementation, and extended
maceration. just not in kits, 5 gallons at a time. and, often, wines
are fermented in barrels.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

On May 5, 12:13*pm, Jim > wrote:
> I have been adding tannin to my primary fermentor but if I add enough
> oak can I can dispense with the addition of tannin?
>
> On Mon, 5 May 2008 10:15:29 -0700 (PDT), pp >
> wrote:
>

> >Not fermenting reds in barrels is done mainly for practical reasons
> >because punching down and cleanup would be a nightmare. That obviously
> >doesn't apply to chips or beans. The tannin in oak helps to fix the
> >colour and improves the body so that's another reason why adding oak
> >before ferment could be beneficial - although you can achieve the same
> >result for this application by using tannin products.

> >Pp

> >On May 2, 6:48*am, wrote:
> >> Jim,

> >> I wouldn't add any preferment. I've done both before and after and I
> >> don't see any difference. The pros don't ferment in oak so why should
> >> you?? Wine is added to barrels after primary ferment is done in
> >> wineries.

> >> Bob

Not sure, really. I would guess the oak tannin will take some time
before it's extracted by the alcohol, while the tannin supplements are
usually added early so they are present in first days of the ferment
when most of the colour is extracted. So there might be some advantage
in adding tannin directly - I do both but use the minimum recommended
does of the tannin supplement. For oak, I use chips during ferment and
beans after as I don't have space for barrels.

You can always try different things and see what works best for you.

Pp
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> You can always try different things and see what works best for you.

The only way to do that is to ferment 2 different batches, one with
oak and one without oak added pre-ferment to see how it really works
and if you really think it works better for you. Not doing a side by
side comparison with the same grapes will tell you nothing. If you
want total control over the taste of your wine I would suggest not
adding oak pre-ferment. Adding oak pre-ferment is adding more
variables into the equation when you should be trying to simplify it
to control it better. Anyway that's my story and I'm stickin to it.
I've never had a problem getting color out of my wines or having it
"stick".

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> actually the pros do add oak during fermentation, along with tannins,
> and enzymes. we also do cold soak, slow fementation, and extended
> maceration. just not in kits, 5 gallons at a time. and, often, wines
> are fermented in barrels.

Always remeber that amateurs built the Arc and professionals built the
Titanic.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> Always remember that amateurs built the Ark and professionals built the
> Titanic.

Nicely said.

Oak and tannin additions are not the same thing. Oak adds more than
just tannin to a wine; oak additions and barrels aren't the same thing
either, barrels do more than add oak flavor.

Joe