Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Pear wine not clearing?

Hi, I'm relatively new to making my own wines, and have had some success
with various fruits, rosehips, etc.

I bought some very nice "on offer" pears from Tescos and followed a basic
recipe I found on the net, which looked as if it had all the right
ingredients. Pectolase was included at the outset. It didn't ferment very
long, but is now a dry, light-flavoured wine (I think fairly low-alcohol)
which should be quite pleasant when it has stood a bit.

However, a dose of Vinclear has had no effect on it whatsoever. I treated
another wine, made rather experimentally from assorted fruit juices, at the
same time, and it has responded quite miraculously in a couple of days (just
to mention ...that this one tastes really good and is rocket-fuel!). I find
Vinclear usually works well.

Any ideas?

Barb UK

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

greetings barb! i've had good luck & nice results using "sparkalloid" with
both peach & pear wines. most of my fruit wines lean towards "knockout
juice" anyway (but in a genteel manner,) so a higher alcohol level hasn't
been a concern. it's easy to use & works better if you allow it to sit 4-5
weeks before racking. However: after a year+ in the bottle, a small amount
of brown sediment does appear; by small amount, i mean pehaps a half
teaspoonful, if that much. hope this helps, regards, bob

"Barb" > wrote in message
> Hi, I'm relatively new to making my own wines, and have had some success
> with various fruits, rosehips, etc.
>
> I bought some very nice "on offer" pears from Tescos and followed a basic
> recipe I found on the net, which looked as if it had all the right
> ingredients. Pectolase was included at the outset. It didn't ferment
> very long, but is now a dry, light-flavoured wine (I think fairly
> low-alcohol) which should be quite pleasant when it has stood a bit.
>
> However, a dose of Vinclear has had no effect on it whatsoever. I treated
> another wine, made rather experimentally from assorted fruit juices, at
> the same time, and it has responded quite miraculously in a couple of days
> (just to mention ...that this one tastes really good and is rocket-fuel!).
> I find Vinclear usually works well.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Barb UK

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

It would be good to know what stage the wine is in at this point. DId you
use fresh crushed pears or cook them? A friend used a "cooked " recipe that
never really did clear. We even froze it to drop the solids out of it. I've
had much better results with using fresh pears w/o cooking.

"Barb" > wrote in message
> Hi, I'm relatively new to making my own wines, and have had some success
> with various fruits, rosehips, etc.
>
> I bought some very nice "on offer" pears from Tescos and followed a basic
> recipe I found on the net, which looked as if it had all the right
> ingredients. Pectolase was included at the outset. It didn't ferment
> very long, but is now a dry, light-flavoured wine (I think fairly
> low-alcohol) which should be quite pleasant when it has stood a bit.
>
> However, a dose of Vinclear has had no effect on it whatsoever. I treated
> another wine, made rather experimentally from assorted fruit juices, at
> the same time, and it has responded quite miraculously in a couple of days
> (just to mention ...that this one tastes really good and is rocket-fuel!).
> I find Vinclear usually works well.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Barb UK

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Bobdrob, thanks for the suggestion. Can't find Sparkalloid in the UK -
anyone know an equivalent I could try? What about bentonite?.... I've never
had to try it before, but is it worth a go?

Encat, I chopped the pears and steeped them in the primary in boiling water,
added ingredients when cool and yeast after a couple of days. Maybe the
boiling water was a mistake...

BarbUK

"encat" > wrote in message
. ..
> It would be good to know what stage the wine is in at this point. DId you
> use fresh crushed pears or cook them? A friend used a "cooked " recipe
> that never really did clear. We even froze it to drop the solids out of
> it. I've had much better results with using fresh pears w/o cooking.
>
> "Barb" > wrote in message
>> Hi, I'm relatively new to making my own wines, and have had some success
>> with various fruits, rosehips, etc.
>>
>> I bought some very nice "on offer" pears from Tescos and followed a basic
>> recipe I found on the net, which looked as if it had all the right
>> ingredients. Pectolase was included at the outset. It didn't ferment
>> very long, but is now a dry, light-flavoured wine (I think fairly
>> low-alcohol) which should be quite pleasant when it has stood a bit.
>>
>> However, a dose of Vinclear has had no effect on it whatsoever. I
>> treated another wine, made rather experimentally from assorted fruit
>> juices, at the same time, and it has responded quite miraculously in a
>> couple of days (just to mention ...that this one tastes really good and
>> is rocket-fuel!). I find Vinclear usually works well.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Barb UK

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

Hi Barb,

Sparkalloid is harder to find here. I used Kwik Klear Finings 2
months ago on a cranberry-raisin wine which refused to clear after 9
months. It was crystal clear within 24 hours, though I left it the
recommended 72 hours anyway before bottling. I felt that the flavour
was unimpaired using Kwik Klear and the colour was still excellent.
Kwik Klear is a two part liquid fining agent (gelatin & kieselsol)
which comes in disturbingly / reassuringly small bottles! It is
available at most winemaking stores in the UK - I have found it at the
three I use in Birmingham UK and the online stores I order from too.
That would be my recommendation.

I have used Bentonite to great effect in clearing a plum wine that
just wouldn't lie down last year. As long as it is well mixed and
left overnight to properly gel its a wonderful fining agent. I am not
sure that it didn't strip the flavour from my plum wine slightly,
though it probably wasn't the best taste raw anyway!

Best of luck, Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

For what it's worth, I make pear wine each year from fresh uncooked
Bosc pears and, like you, add some pectic enzyme to help break down the
fruit. And each year, there is a small amount of suspended fruit matter
that does not clear. This material will not fine out with bentonite
(tried that) but will eventually settle with time. We ignore it, bottle
it, and allow it to settle in bottle, then decant when opening a bottle
to leave the settled sediment behind. We could let the wine stay in
carboys for a few months and settle it there, but we like to drink the
wine fairly young, so we don't bother.

On 2007-11-06 10:04:23 -0800, "Barb" > said:

> Hi, I'm relatively new to making my own wines, and have had some success
> with various fruits, rosehips, etc.
>
> I bought some very nice "on offer" pears from Tescos and followed a basic
> recipe I found on the net, which looked as if it had all the right
> ingredients. Pectolase was included at the outset. It didn't ferment very
> long, but is now a dry, light-flavoured wine (I think fairly low-alcohol)
> which should be quite pleasant when it has stood a bit.
>
> However, a dose of Vinclear has had no effect on it whatsoever. I treated
> another wine, made rather experimentally from assorted fruit juices, at the
> same time, and it has responded quite miraculously in a couple of days (just
> to mention ...that this one tastes really good and is rocket-fuel!). I find
> Vinclear usually works well.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Barb UK

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Use 1 EGG WHITE
add to carboy and watch it clear.
Tom

--

Home of the
MOON RIVER BREWERY

"Barb" > wrote in message
> Bobdrob, thanks for the suggestion. Can't find Sparkalloid in the UK -
> anyone know an equivalent I could try? What about bentonite?.... I've
> never had to try it before, but is it worth a go?
>
> Encat, I chopped the pears and steeped them in the primary in boiling
> water, added ingredients when cool and yeast after a couple of days.
> Maybe the boiling water was a mistake...
>
> BarbUK

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"AxisOfBeagles" > wrote in message
> For what it's worth, I make pear wine each year from fresh uncooked Bosc
> pears and, like you, add some pectic enzyme to help break down the fruit.
> And each year, there is a small amount of suspended fruit matter that does
> not clear. This material will not fine out with bentonite (tried that) but
> will eventually settle with time. We ignore it, bottle it, and allow it to
> settle in bottle, then decant when opening a bottle to leave the settled
> sediment behind. We could let the wine stay in carboys for a few months
> and settle it there, but we like to drink the wine fairly young, so we
> don't bother.
>

> On 2007-11-06 10:04:23 -0800, "Barb" > said:
>
>> Hi, I'm relatively new to making my own wines, and have had some success
>> with various fruits, rosehips, etc.
>>
>> I bought some very nice "on offer" pears from Tescos and followed a basic
>> recipe I found on the net, which looked as if it had all the right
>> ingredients. Pectolase was included at the outset. It didn't ferment
>> very
>> long, but is now a dry, light-flavoured wine (I think fairly low-alcohol)
>> which should be quite pleasant when it has stood a bit.
>>
>> However, a dose of Vinclear has had no effect on it whatsoever. I
>> treated
>> another wine, made rather experimentally from assorted fruit juices, at
>> the
>> same time, and it has responded quite miraculously in a couple of days
>> (just
>> to mention ...that this one tastes really good and is rocket-fuel!). I
>> find
>> Vinclear usually works well.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Barb UK

I tried the KwikClear finings before with other wines, but I found the
gelatine went "off" horrible and smelly in the bottle, and un-usable /
expensive. The egg white sounds good, and is a solution mentioned in C J
Berry's book. I think I might try that, since the wine was so cheap to make
it won't matter if I ruin it.

And I always have eggs in the fridge and don't have to go to the homebrew
shop to buy something!

Anyone else tried this?

Barb UK

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

I can see how that would put you off KwikKlear Barb! You do have to
make sure your fining agents are stored well and fresh when you buy
them I suppose. Be sure not to use an egg which has gone off
either I believe egg whites are the traditional for fining red
wine, I haven't used them myself...

Jim

On Nov 7, 6:10 pm, "Barb" > wrote:
> "AxisOfBeagles" > wrote in message

> > For what it's worth, I make pear wine each year from fresh uncooked Bosc
> > pears and, like you, add some pectic enzyme to help break down the fruit.
> > And each year, there is a small amount of suspended fruit matter that does
> > not clear. This material will not fine out with bentonite (tried that) but
> > will eventually settle with time. We ignore it, bottle it, and allow it to
> > settle in bottle, then decant when opening a bottle to leave the settled
> > sediment behind. We could let the wine stay in carboys for a few months
> > and settle it there, but we like to drink the wine fairly young, so we
> > don't bother.

> > On 2007-11-06 10:04:23 -0800, "Barb" > said:

> >> Hi, I'm relatively new to making my own wines, and have had some success
> >> with various fruits, rosehips, etc.

> >> I bought some very nice "on offer" pears from Tescos and followed a basic
> >> recipe I found on the net, which looked as if it had all the right
> >> ingredients. Pectolase was included at the outset. It didn't ferment
> >> very
> >> long, but is now a dry, light-flavoured wine (I think fairly low-alcohol)
> >> which should be quite pleasant when it has stood a bit.

> >> However, a dose of Vinclear has had no effect on it whatsoever. I
> >> treated
> >> another wine, made rather experimentally from assorted fruit juices, at
> >> the
> >> same time, and it has responded quite miraculously in a couple of days
> >> (just
> >> to mention ...that this one tastes really good and is rocket-fuel!). I
> >> find
> >> Vinclear usually works well.

> >> Any ideas?

> >> Barb UK

> I tried the KwikClear finings before with other wines, but I found the
> gelatine went "off" horrible and smelly in the bottle, and un-usable /
> expensive. The egg white sounds good, and is a solution mentioned in C J
> Berry's book. I think I might try that, since the wine was so cheap to make
> it won't matter if I ruin it.
>
> And I always have eggs in the fridge and don't have to go to the homebrew
> shop to buy something!
>
> Anyone else tried this?
>
> Barb UK

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Barb" > wrote in message
> Hi, I'm relatively new to making my own wines, and have had some success
> with various fruits, rosehips, etc.
>
> I bought some very nice "on offer" pears from Tescos and followed a basic
> recipe I found on the net, which looked as if it had all the right
> ingredients. Pectolase was included at the outset. It didn't ferment
> very long, but is now a dry, light-flavoured wine (I think fairly
> low-alcohol) which should be quite pleasant when it has stood a bit.
>
> However, a dose of Vinclear has had no effect on it whatsoever. I treated
> another wine, made rather experimentally from assorted fruit juices, at
> the same time, and it has responded quite miraculously in a couple of days
> (just to mention ...that this one tastes really good and is rocket-fuel!).
> I find Vinclear usually works well.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Barb UK

OK, I just stuck in a good glob of egg-white, per CJ Berry's book, and we'll
see what happens! I hope it works ... what I like about this solution is
that it's non-chemical.

Barb UK

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Barb" > wrote in message
> Encat, I chopped the pears and steeped them in the primary in boiling
> water, added ingredients when cool and yeast after a couple of days.
> Maybe the boiling water was a mistake...
>
> BarbUK

Barb,

We have a couple of pear trees at our place. After trying a few methods,
I've found that quartering and freezing the pears for about a week works
best for me. When they're thawed, a golden pear nectar oozes out of the
segments. I toss them all in the primary to ferment then press when
fermentation subsides. Since I age my wines in the carboy for at least 6
months, any particles settle out before bottling.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 8, 2:00 pm, "Barb" > wrote:
> "Barb" > wrote in message

> > Hi, I'm relatively new to making my own wines, and have had some success
> > with various fruits, rosehips, etc.

> > I bought some very nice "on offer" pears from Tescos and followed a basic
> > recipe I found on the net, which looked as if it had all the right
> > ingredients. Pectolase was included at the outset. It didn't ferment
> > very long, but is now a dry, light-flavoured wine (I think fairly
> > low-alcohol) which should be quite pleasant when it has stood a bit.

> > However, a dose of Vinclear has had no effect on it whatsoever. I treated
> > another wine, made rather experimentally from assorted fruit juices, at
> > the same time, and it has responded quite miraculously in a couple of days
> > (just to mention ...that this one tastes really good and is rocket-fuel!).
> > I find Vinclear usually works well.

> > Any ideas?

> > Barb UK

> OK, I just stuck in a good glob of egg-white, per CJ Berry's book, and we'll
> see what happens! I hope it works ... what I like about this solution is
> that it's non-chemical.
>
> Barb UK

If that doesn't work try it again following a different procedure.
Stir 1/2 teaspoon salt into 1 cup of water until dissolved. Separate
the egg white and add twice as much of this salt solution to the egg
white and mix it into a slurry. Let the foam subside before adding it
to wine. The French usually do this in a copper bowl but I'm not sure
if that matters... 1 egg is probably enough for 5 gallons Imperial.
(I've never made pear wine so refrained from posting until now; I know
you need some salt in the egg whites.)

Here is a nice link on fining from the university of Arkansas:

http://www.uark.edu/depts/ifse/grape...es/nmc14wg.pdf

Joe

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> If that doesn't work try it again following a different procedure.
> Stir 1/2 teaspoon salt into 1 cup of water until dissolved. Separate
> the egg white and add twice as much of this salt solution to the egg
> white and mix it into a slurry. Let the foam subside before adding it
> to wine. The French usually do this in a copper bowl but I'm not sure
> if that matters... 1 egg is probably enough for 5 gallons Imperial.
> (I've never made pear wine so refrained from posting until now; I know
> you need some salt in the egg whites.)
>
> Here is a nice link on fining from the university of Arkansas:
>
> http://www.uark.edu/depts/ifse/grape...es/nmc14wg.pdf
>

> Joe
>
> Joe

Thanks for the link Joe, one to keep! Well the egg gloop doesn't seem to be
doing anything straight away (most finings show some small sign of effect
within a day with me) - I'm going to stick it in the porch where it's cold.
I did put a small pinch of salt in the egg, as advised in the book.

I'll try your method in a week or so, if the stuff still remains murky.

Barb UK

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I hate to be a curmudgeon here, but I don't think this egg white advice
is going to do a damned thing for your pear wine. Egg white(positive
charge) is a traditional fining agent to reduce some tannins (negative
charge) from harsh red wines. Your issue is almost certainly not
tannins - pear wines tend to be deficient in such and some winemakers
add grape tannin to stiffen up their wine.

As a pear winemaker myself, I would bet that your haze is caused by
suspended fruit particles. Not even sure what charge they carry - which
would dictate a fining agent strategy - but I do know that time will
settle them out. One year, I kept the pear wine in carboys for almost a
year before bottling and it was crystal clear. But usually we bentonite
fine, allow a couple months to settle most (not all) the fruit
material, then bottle. Usually have a small residue in the bottles
after a couple more months - but find it easy to pour or decant such
that we eliminate it.

On 2007-11-06 10:04:23 -0800, "Barb" > said:

> Hi, I'm relatively new to making my own wines, and have had some success
> with various fruits, rosehips, etc.
>
> I bought some very nice "on offer" pears from Tescos and followed a basic
> recipe I found on the net, which looked as if it had all the right
> ingredients. Pectolase was included at the outset. It didn't ferment very
> long, but is now a dry, light-flavoured wine (I think fairly low-alcohol)
> which should be quite pleasant when it has stood a bit.
>
> However, a dose of Vinclear has had no effect on it whatsoever. I treated
> another wine, made rather experimentally from assorted fruit juices, at the
> same time, and it has responded quite miraculously in a couple of days (just
> to mention ...that this one tastes really good and is rocket-fuel!). I find
> Vinclear usually works well.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Barb UK

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 11/10/2007 12:16 PM, AxisOfBeagles wrote:
[snipped for brevity]

> As a pear winemaker myself, I would bet that your haze is caused by
> suspended fruit particles. Not even sure what charge they carry - which
> would dictate a fining agent strategy - but I do know that time will
> settle them out. One year, I kept the pear wine in carboys for almost a
> year before bottling and it was crystal clear. But usually we bentonite
> fine, allow a couple months to settle most (not all) the fruit material,
> then bottle. Usually have a small residue in the bottles after a couple
> more months - but find it easy to pour or decant such that we eliminate it.

You've got me curious. If you don't know what charge the suspended
fruit particles have, why do you use bentonite?

I've made a couple different pear wines/meads. Five gallons with about
30 lbs of assorted pear varieties, apple and pear juice at 50/50, etc.
All have dropped clear over time, but all did throw additional sediment
in the bottle. Not a huge amount, but a fine dusting on the bottom of
the bottle. But I do use pectin enzyme with any fruit wine, and I do
not boil or even heat the fruit.

Cheers,
Ken

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

AxisOfBeagles wrote:

> I hate to be a curmudgeon here, but I don't
> think this egg white advice is going to do a
> damned thing for your pear wine. Egg
> white(positive charge) is a traditional fining
> agent to reduce some tannins (negative charge)
> from harsh red wines. Your issue is almost
> certainly not tannins - pear wines tend to be
> deficient in such and some winemakers add grape
> tannin to stiffen up their wine.
>
> As a pear winemaker myself, I would bet that
> your haze is caused by suspended fruit
> particles. Not even sure what charge they carry
> - which would dictate a fining agent strategy -
> but I do know that time will settle them out.
> One year, I kept the pear wine in carboys for
> almost a year before bottling and it was crystal
> clear. But usually we bentonite fine, allow a
> couple months to settle most (not all) the fruit
> material, then bottle. Usually have a small
> residue in the bottles after a couple more
> months - but find it easy to pour or decant such
> that we eliminate it.
>

> On 2007-11-06 10:04:23 -0800, "Barb"
> > said:
>
>> Hi, I'm relatively new to making my own wines,
>> and have had some success with various fruits,
>> rosehips, etc.
>>
>> I bought some very nice "on offer" pears from
>> Tescos and followed a basic recipe I found on
>> the net, which looked as if it had all the
>> right
>> ingredients. Pectolase was included at the
>> outset. It didn't ferment very long, but is
>> now a dry, light-flavoured wine (I think fairly
>> low-alcohol) which should be quite pleasant
>> when it has stood a bit.
>>
>> However, a dose of Vinclear has had no effect
>> on it whatsoever. I treated another wine, made
>> rather experimentally from assorted fruit
>> juices, at the same time, and it has responded
>> quite miraculously in a couple of days (just
>> to mention ...that this one tastes really good
>> and is rocket-fuel!). I find Vinclear usually
>> works well.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Barb UK

Curious as to whether you could share a recipe for
Dry pear wine. As for tanins, I believe pears
are higher than a lot of other fruits. I think
that is for this reason that they make a fruit
wine more like a grape wine. I have made some
fairly decent pear wine and it just took time to
clear brilliant. Of course, I did not heat my
pears but merely cut them up.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Yes, a member in our club uses it 100% of the time. Remember ONLY use the
whites. No need to beat it just add to wine.
Tom

--

Home of the
MOON RIVER BREWERY

> I tried the KwikClear finings before with other wines, but I found the
> gelatine went "off" horrible and smelly in the bottle, and un-usable /
> expensive. The egg white sounds good, and is a solution mentioned in C J
> Berry's book. I think I might try that, since the wine was so cheap to
> make it won't matter if I ruin it.
>
> And I always have eggs in the fridge and don't have to go to the homebrew
> shop to buy something!
>
> Anyone else tried this?
>
> Barb UK

Clearing up Rhubarb Wine Maurice Hamling Winemaking 1 07-03-2007 11:30 AM
Clearing plum wine sjstokes Winemaking 8 06-09-2005 11:01 PM
Ice Wine Clearing Alan Ruether Winemaking 3 10-12-2004 01:32 AM
wine not clearing Njord Winemaking 9 20-11-2004 12:41 AM
Clearing red wine Negodki Winemaking 16 04-11-2003 03:53 AM