Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Rhubarb wine - and something else, please!

After making about 30 bottles of rhubarb wine, I still have roughly 12 lb of
rhubarb left in my freezer. I want to use the rest but would like to find a
wine recipe where something else is added to give a different (and a
better?) taste - something different. Does anybody have such a recipe?

John

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

Kellers Strawberry-Rhubarb sounded good to me: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request165.asp

As he says though, Rhubarb is famously a wine which blends
brilliantly, taking on the flavour of the wine it is mixed with. I
wonder if it is better to make a mixed fruit wine, or make rhubarb in
dry, medium and sweet varieties to blend and discover the best mixes?

Jim

On Sep 27, 11:13 pm, "John Vanini" > wrote:
> After making about 30 bottles of rhubarb wine, I still have roughly 12 lb of
> rhubarb left in my freezer. I want to use the rest but would like to find a
> wine recipe where something else is added to give a different (and a
> better?) taste - something different. Does anybody have such a recipe?
>
> John

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 27, 3:13 pm, "John Vanini" > wrote:
> After making about 30 bottles of rhubarb wine, I still have roughly 12 lb of
> rhubarb left in my freezer. I want to use the rest but would like to find a
> wine recipe where something else is added to give a different (and a
> better?) taste - something different. Does anybody have such a recipe?
>
> John

I'd make more rhubarb, then blend after production. It will be far
more adaptable and educational to blend a bottle of Rhubarb with a
bottle of whatever times 12 bottles than to make a whole batch of
only one blend. If you must make only one blend, I'm with Jim, go
Keller,the advice is tested there at least.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 27, 3:13 pm, "John Vanini" > wrote:
> After making about 30 bottles of rhubarb wine, I still have roughly 12 lb of
> rhubarb left in my freezer. I want to use the rest but would like to find a
> wine recipe where something else is added to give a different (and a
> better?) taste - something different. Does anybody have such a recipe?

I've always hated rhubarb wine, and found that rhubarb-raspberry or
rhubarb-blueberry mixes were an excellent way to ruin a perfectly good
raspberry or blueberry wine.

That being said, my mother made a batch of rhubarb wine and added some
apple juice to it (plain, grocery store apple juice), and it was
amazing. You could still tell it was rhubarb, but it actually tasted
good.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks all for your advice!

Actually, I didn't think much of Rhubarb Wine, myself; I only, originally,
made it because I "inherited" a very large bed of rhubarb when I moved house
and didn't know what to do with it all - and I got fed up with making
chutney!

However, last night I opened a bottle and was found it was as good as
anything I could buy (well, at the prices I'm willing to pay!)

Thanks again.

John

Clearing up Rhubarb Wine Maurice Hamling Winemaking 1 07-03-2007 11:30 AM
Rhubarb wine John Hopwood Winemaking 14 24-08-2004 01:33 PM
rhubarb wine...... Andy j. Winemaking 7 10-06-2004 03:27 PM
Rhubarb wine question Julie Winemaking 12 19-02-2004 05:53 PM
Rhubarb wine Dan Winemaking 0 05-10-2003 11:56 PM