Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default accidentally fermented f-pack; add sugar for sweetness?

When starting 5 batches at once, in a moment of unclarity, I added the
F-pack to a wineexpert white zinfandel at the very beginning. It's way to
late to stop it from fermenting, but can I replace the sweetness with
sugar?

And if so, how much?

thanks

hawk
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I would email WinExpert directly, as they probably have this already
done before. We all make mistakes - they are pretty good at assisting
via email. They have helped me in the past within 2 days.
http://www.winexpert.com/contact_us/

I wonder if the F-pack is just corn syrup? hmm. What was your S.G. once
you added the F-pack? As long as the yeast goes into action and not
stopped by the higher S.G. - you'll just have a more potent wine. But
you'll need to add sweetner later, I'm sure.
DAve

Dr. Richard E. Hawkins wrote:
> When starting 5 batches at once, in a moment of unclarity, I added the
> F-pack to a wineexpert white zinfandel at the very beginning. It's way to
> late to stop it from fermenting, but can I replace the sweetness with
> sugar?
>
> And if so, how much?
>
> thanks
>
> hawk

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

hawk:

Some people prefer a DRY white zin. If so, just leave it. If you
want to sweeten it, I would recommend wine conditioner rather athn
straight sugar, although some use sugar.

I would GUESS that the included pouch would be equivalent to about
400ml of wine conditioner.

But as DAve already suggested, ask Winexpert.

Steve

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 07:31:57 -0000, "Dr. Richard E. Hawkins"
> wrote:

>When starting 5 batches at once, in a moment of unclarity, I added the
>F-pack to a wineexpert white zinfandel at the very beginning. It's way to
>late to stop it from fermenting, but can I replace the sweetness with
>sugar?
>
>And if so, how much?
>
>thanks
>
>hawk

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 02:03:06 +0000, Steve wrote:

> hawk:
>
> Some people prefer a DRY white zin.

I would be one of those--but this was the deliberately sweet "wife wine"
to be served . . .

> If so, just leave it. If you want
> to sweeten it, I would recommend wine conditioner rather athn straight
> sugar, although some use sugar.
>
> I would GUESS that the included pouch would be equivalent to about 400ml
> of wine conditioner.

Time got in the way. I'd forgotten to deal with this a month or two
earlier when I realized it.

> But as DAve already suggested, ask Winexpert.

I didn't even have that much time

I ended up dissolving a half cup of sugar in a bit of warmed wine; that
got it just about right.

Thanks to all

hawk