Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Wacky TA and PH numbers..............

I'm using CV grapes...Syrah was TA .3 and PH of 3.84. Zin's were TA .2
and PH of 3.83. All measurements done with an off the shelf new test
kit and done twice. Actually I've used 2 new kits to get the same
numbers.I'm totally stumped....I've adjusted by adding some tartaric
acid and the PH has gone down to 5.5-6.0 but the TA is still off. My
only guess is that the Sodium Hydroxide in these kits is wrong for the
directions somehow......andy j.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

On Sep 22, 11:24 am, wrote:
> I'm using CV grapes...Syrah was TA .3 and PH of 3.84. Zin's were TA .2
> and PH of 3.83. All measurements done with an off the shelf new test
> kit and done twice. Actually I've used 2 new kits to get the same
> numbers.I'm totally stumped....I've adjusted by adding some tartaric
> acid and the PH has gone down to 5.5-6.0 but the TA is still off. My
> only guess is that the Sodium Hydroxide in these kits is wrong for the
> directions somehow......andy j.

Check the concentration (normality?), I've seen kits using either 0.1N
or 0.2N solutions, you need the right instructions depending on the
concentration. You can also just go by taste once you've made the pH
adjustment, lost of people just adjust for pH and don't worry about
TA.

Oh yeah, you can make a solution of tartaric acid in water, say 5g/L,
and measure TA on that and then adjust your results based on that. For
example, if your test gives you ~5g/L TA, then it's the right
instructions for your NaOH; if you get ~2.5g/L, then the instructions
are wrong but you can still use the test - just to multiply your
results by 2.

Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Couple observations;

one, pH is most important relative to microbial stability. Those pH
numbers are not so far off as to cause crisis. Have you done a bench
trial to see how much acid would be required to get the pH below 3.7?

two, TA is more important relative to taste. Those numbers are indeed
whacky, and I would first doubt the validity of the test. As pp
pointed out, don;t underestimate the importance of your own taste
buds. Does the juice taste crisp and fresh? If so, I would ignore
those readings and not over adjust. I've seen more wines ruined by
screwing with things unnecessarily than by anything else.

My 2 cents; bench trial some acid adjustment and see if a pH of 3.7
can be reached without majo acid adjustment. If so, make that
adjustment and then go with that - UNLESS the taste is way off, in
which case, then maybe the TA #'s are accurate.

In article
.

--
I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 122 days.
You should really try it!

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Ok....just in case you were wondering. The shop I got the "new"
Titration kits in were apparently shipped OLD product. I drove across
town to a WineKitz store and bought one of theirs that was date
coded ....did the tests and got everything working out just fine. Acid
adjusted within reason and with yeast thrown in we are good to go!!!
Thanks for questioning the crazy numbers. After a late night night of
crushing my thinking was a bit off.

What *is* it with those wacky Chinese? Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 1 08-11-2007 10:46 AM
Wacky breakfasts Dennis Spexet General Cooking 17 07-04-2006 04:11 PM
Wacky Cake Tim Recipes 0 15-07-2005 11:08 PM
Those wacky Brazilians! Bob General Cooking 0 30-01-2005 07:39 AM
wacky uses... sf General Cooking 2 05-12-2004 12:42 AM