Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Sulfiting agents in raisins

I was looking at doing a wine based on the Jalapeno recipe at Jack's
site and it calls for golden raisins. All I've found so far are the
Sunmade 15oz boxes of golden raisins, which the label says are
sulfited. Will the "sulfited" preservative cause an issue with
fermentation, or will it come out of solution along with the campden
tabs? I'm guessing it's basically the same stuff - the raisins were
probably exposed to burning sulfur smoke, I believe. Anyone know for
sure? I'm also guessing that if I buy them in the box like this I'm
going to be paying a premium price per pound, but I don't recall ever
seeing the golden variety in bulk.

Thanks,
--Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 18, 12:31 pm, Jeff > wrote:
> I was looking at doing a wine based on the Jalapeno recipe at Jack's
> site and it calls for golden raisins. All I've found so far are the
> Sunmade 15oz boxes of golden raisins, which the label says are
> sulfited. Will the "sulfited" preservative cause an issue with
> fermentation, or will it come out of solution along with the campden
> tabs? I'm guessing it's basically the same stuff - the raisins were
> probably exposed to burning sulfur smoke, I believe. Anyone know for
> sure? I'm also guessing that if I buy them in the box like this I'm
> going to be paying a premium price per pound, but I don't recall ever
> seeing the golden variety in bulk.
>
> Thanks,
> --Jeff

They are the same, Jack probably got them from a box too. I would
guess they exposed them to sulfite gas; that is commonly available.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:31:12 -0000, Jeff > wrote:

>I was looking at doing a wine based on the Jalapeno recipe at Jack's
>site and it calls for golden raisins. All I've found so far are the
>Sunmade 15oz boxes of golden raisins, which the label says are
>sulfited. Will the "sulfited" preservative cause an issue with
>fermentation, or will it come out of solution along with the campden
>tabs? I'm guessing it's basically the same stuff - the raisins were
>probably exposed to burning sulfur smoke, I believe. Anyone know for
>sure? I'm also guessing that if I buy them in the box like this I'm
>going to be paying a premium price per pound, but I don't recall ever
>seeing the golden variety in bulk.
>
>Thanks,
>--Jeff

I have used this recipe using 16 jalapenos and a box of sunmaid white
raisins, it fermented with no problem.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

FWIW the regular Cali raisins list no chemicals on the boxes. I'm in the
same quandry my peach wine : getting a second mortgage & buying clean
golden raisins from Whole Fools Mkt, or the conventional brown ones @
Restauarnt Depot. I've used both sucessfully and definitely prefer the
goldens. Hmmmm, maybe little Madison's braces can wait another year....

Using Fining Agents Jim Winemaking 2 28-11-2006 06:52 PM
Fining with both + and - agents. Wino-Nouveau Winemaking 3 05-01-2006 10:59 PM
ACAI PLUS AGENTS WANTED Monika Watts Diabetic 2 12-06-2005 05:16 PM
ACAI PLUS AGENTS WANTED Monika Watts General 0 10-06-2005 11:00 AM
ACAI PLUS AGENTS WANTED Monika Watts Tea 0 10-06-2005 11:00 AM