Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Adding Pectic Enzyme after the fact

When I started my pluot (plum/apricot cross) wine, I didn't have any
pectic enzyme (or much of a clue as to what I was doing, but that's
beside the point). I trudged on ahead, safe in the knowledge that I
could add some pectic enzyme later to clear it up with the only
drawback would be that I wouldn't get as much juice from my pluot's.
To counter that problem, I used more than the recipe I used called for
and also crushed & froze them first to aid in extraction.

Can I add pectic enzyme during fermentation? It's off the fruit, but
still fermenting - probably have another week to go until I rack it
and add campden tabs to it. If so, how much should I use and when? I
have some powder now called "Pectic, dry - an enzyme that destroys
pectin" that recommends adding 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, but also says
"must add before start of fermentation".

Thanks,
--Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 17, 12:58 pm, Jeff > wrote:
> When I started my pluot (plum/apricot cross) wine, I didn't have any
> pectic enzyme (or much of a clue as to what I was doing, but that's
> beside the point). I trudged on ahead, safe in the knowledge that I
> could add some pectic enzyme later to clear it up with the only
> drawback would be that I wouldn't get as much juice from my pluot's.
> To counter that problem, I used more than the recipe I used called for
> and also crushed & froze them first to aid in extraction.
>
> Can I add pectic enzyme during fermentation? It's off the fruit, but
> still fermenting - probably have another week to go until I rack it
> and add campden tabs to it. If so, how much should I use and when? I
> have some powder now called "Pectic, dry - an enzyme that destroys
> pectin" that recommends adding 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, but also says
> "must add before start of fermentation".
>
> Thanks,
> --Jeff

I can't speak to the specific enzyme you have but you can typically
add pectic enzyme at any time; before fermentation is preferred but I
wouldn't say it's mandatory.

Joe