Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
JB JB is offline

Default Making Labels - What do You do?

This is a good group to monitor for someone just starting out making wine.
I've just started my third kit and will begin my 4th next weekend. My
question is about wine labels. My first two kits came with labels. Now I'm
interested in creating my own label. Got any suggestions for me? What's the
best software to use? Do you make you own labels in Word? Do you use Avery
labels or are there better brands to use for this?

As I said, just fishing for some answers.

TIA

John

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I make mine in photoshop.
But you can use Word or anything else.

I print mine on standard copy type paper
I then use a glue stick.

These labels will fall off in water, which is good when you reuse bottles.

JB wrote:
> This is a good group to monitor for someone just starting out making wine.
> I've just started my third kit and will begin my 4th next weekend. My
> question is about wine labels. My first two kits came with labels. Now I'm
> interested in creating my own label. Got any suggestions for me? What's the
> best software to use? Do you make you own labels in Word? Do you use Avery
> labels or are there better brands to use for this?
>
> As I said, just fishing for some answers.
>
> TIA
>
> John

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I agree w/ HBD. plain paper & a glue stick or other water soluable glue is
the way to go if you plan to reuse bottles. A quick soak in hot water & yer
off to the races. I like to use 28# stationery; it makes a more classy
label. For printing, I bought printshop pro many years ago, it still serves
me well. Word's as good as anything if you don't have a labelmaking
program. HTH regards, bob
"homebrewdude" > wrote in message
news
>I make mine in photoshop.
> But you can use Word or anything else.
>
> I print mine on standard copy type paper
> I then use a glue stick.
>
> These labels will fall off in water, which is good when you reuse bottles.
>

> JB wrote:
>> This is a good group to monitor for someone just starting out making
>> wine. I've just started my third kit and will begin my 4th next weekend.
>> My question is about wine labels. My first two kits came with labels. Now
>> I'm interested in creating my own label. Got any suggestions for me?
>> What's the best software to use? Do you make you own labels in Word? Do
>> you use Avery labels or are there better brands to use for this?
>>
>> As I said, just fishing for some answers.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> John

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Good quest, John. And it is a good newsgroup to keep reading - I can say
I've learned 80%+ of what I know from kind folks taking the time to
explain things or adjust my head.

I tried several ideas, but now I use Avery labels (removable, so they
come right off) and Avery DesignPro software comes free. I can send you
some samples (remove x's in my id). I have graphics, words, quotes, all
you want on them. To make them water resistant, I print the sheets of
labels, then use clear spray paint to seal them. I don't even have to
soak them to remove - just peel off.

Avery label # 6464 are 3 1/3 inches by 4 inches. Google to see what they
look like. And Staples and other office stores sell generics if the
price is too high for your needs. Even the cheaper "non-removable"
labels work well, just have to soak them.

DAve

JB wrote:
> This is a good group to monitor for someone just starting out making wine.
> I've just started my third kit and will begin my 4th next weekend. My
> question is about wine labels. My first two kits came with labels. Now I'm
> interested in creating my own label. Got any suggestions for me? What's the
> best software to use? Do you make you own labels in Word? Do you use Avery
> labels or are there better brands to use for this?
>
> As I said, just fishing for some answers.
>
> TIA
>
> John

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Dave Allison" > wrote in message
.. .
> Good quest, John. And it is a good newsgroup to keep reading - I can say
> I've learned 80%+ of what I know from kind folks taking the time to
> explain things or adjust my head.
>
> I tried several ideas, but now I use Avery labels (removable, so they come
> right off) and Avery DesignPro software comes free. I can send you some
> samples (remove x's in my id). I have graphics, words, quotes, all you
> want on them. To make them water resistant, I print the sheets of labels,
> then use clear spray paint to seal them. I don't even have to soak them to
> remove - just peel off.
>
> Avery label # 6464 are 3 1/3 inches by 4 inches. Google to see what they
> look like. And Staples and other office stores sell generics if the price
> is too high for your needs. Even the cheaper "non-removable" labels work
> well, just have to soak them.
>
> DAve
>
> JB wrote:
>> This is a good group to monitor for someone just starting out making
>> wine. I've just started my third kit and will begin my 4th next weekend.
>> My question is about wine labels. My first two kits came with labels. Now
>> I'm interested in creating my own label. Got any suggestions for me?
>> What's the best software to use? Do you make you own labels in Word? Do
>> you use Avery labels or are there better brands to use for this?

I use the Label Factory Deluxe software by Art Explosion and print on Avery
(or other brand) 3-1/3 X 4 inch labels. I generally include some graphic
which I've downloaded from the Internet which is relevant to the name of the
wine.

After printing on an ink jet printer, I let them dry overnight then spray
lightly with a clear acrylic spray, so that the ink doesn't run if I put the
bottle in an ice bucket.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Paul,
Good to know - is the Label Factory Deluxe better than the Avery free
DesignPro? At $30, I'm curious if it is really better. I also get
graphics from the internet - wine glasses, vineyards, grapes, etc.

DAve

Pavel314 wrote:
> "Dave Allison" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Good quest, John. And it is a good newsgroup to keep reading - I can say
>> I've learned 80%+ of what I know from kind folks taking the time to
>> explain things or adjust my head.
>>
>> I tried several ideas, but now I use Avery labels (removable, so they come
>> right off) and Avery DesignPro software comes free. I can send you some
>> samples (remove x's in my id). I have graphics, words, quotes, all you
>> want on them. To make them water resistant, I print the sheets of labels,
>> then use clear spray paint to seal them. I don't even have to soak them to
>> remove - just peel off.
>>
>> Avery label # 6464 are 3 1/3 inches by 4 inches. Google to see what they
>> look like. And Staples and other office stores sell generics if the price
>> is too high for your needs. Even the cheaper "non-removable" labels work
>> well, just have to soak them.
>>
>> DAve
>>
>> JB wrote:
>>> This is a good group to monitor for someone just starting out making
>>> wine. I've just started my third kit and will begin my 4th next weekend.
>>> My question is about wine labels. My first two kits came with labels. Now
>>> I'm interested in creating my own label. Got any suggestions for me?
>>> What's the best software to use? Do you make you own labels in Word? Do
>>> you use Avery labels or are there better brands to use for this?

> I use the Label Factory Deluxe software by Art Explosion and print on Avery
> (or other brand) 3-1/3 X 4 inch labels. I generally include some graphic
> which I've downloaded from the Internet which is relevant to the name of the
> wine.
>
> After printing on an ink jet printer, I let them dry overnight then spray
> lightly with a clear acrylic spray, so that the ink doesn't run if I put the
> bottle in an ice bucket.
>
> Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 16, 4:25 pm, "JB" > wrote:
> This is a good group to monitor for someone just starting out making wine.
> I've just started my third kit and will begin my 4th next weekend. My
> question is about wine labels. My first two kits came with labels. Now I'm
> interested in creating my own label. Got any suggestions for me? What's the
> best software to use? Do you make you own labels in Word? Do you use Avery
> labels or are there better brands to use for this?
>
> As I said, just fishing for some answers.
>
> TIA
>
> John

My local wine shop sells labels, and they pick ones that are easy for
those re-using bottles

My issue is what to put on the labels, I asked here earlier about
record keeping, but the replies allow too much info to be jammed on a
label. I think i'll just be calling them "2007 - 1st batch" "2007 -
2nd batch" "2007 - 3rd batch" and so on.

plan on just using word. I expect to win the contest for most
unattractive labels ever.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Dave Allison" > wrote in message
. ..
> Paul,
> Good to know - is the Label Factory Deluxe better than the Avery free
> DesignPro? At $30, I'm curious if it is really better. I also get graphics
> from the internet - wine glasses, vineyards, grapes, etc.
>
> DAve

I've never used the Avery software. My wife bought Label Factory several
years ago for some of her hobbies so I just borrowed it for the wine labels.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Tater" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Sep 16, 4:25 pm, "JB" > wrote:
>> This is a good group to monitor for someone just starting out making
>> wine.
>> I've just started my third kit and will begin my 4th next weekend. My
>> question is about wine labels. My first two kits came with labels. Now
>> I'm
>> interested in creating my own label. Got any suggestions for me? What's
>> the
>> best software to use? Do you make you own labels in Word? Do you use
>> Avery
>> labels or are there better brands to use for this?
>>
>> As I said, just fishing for some answers.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> John

> My local wine shop sells labels, and they pick ones that are easy for
> those re-using bottles
>
> My issue is what to put on the labels, I asked here earlier about
> record keeping, but the replies allow too much info to be jammed on a
> label. I think i'll just be calling them "2007 - 1st batch" "2007 -
> 2nd batch" "2007 - 3rd batch" and so on.
>
> plan on just using word. I expect to win the contest for most
> unattractive labels ever.

Most software packages for making labels can import images without much
trouble. You can also change the font for interesting effects. I don't
expect to win any prizes but making the labels is a fun part of the process
for me. Here's a link to some of my labels from a few years back:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rbfarm/lab01sma.jpg

They incorporate images downloaded from the Internet or photographs I
scanned in.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
MJ MJ is offline

For my own personal use, I use Avery #6460. It's a 1 x 2&5/8" white
REMOVABLE I.D. Label.
For gifting - I use Avery #6460. Also a REMOVABLE Label it's 3&1/3" x 4".
Both these labels are quick peel labels and while they cost a tad more, I
like them because I don't have to fight getting the label off. If you want
the large label to be waterproofed, you only need to spray some varnish on
the sheet and few times and then apply it to your wine bottle.

When you purchase the Avery labels, they come with software to help you with
the printing set up - but Word works just as well; under Tools/Envelopes &
Labels.
Marie

"JB" > wrote in message
> This is a good group to monitor for someone just starting out making wine.
> I've just started my third kit and will begin my 4th next weekend. My
> question is about wine labels. My first two kits came with labels. Now I'm
> interested in creating my own label. Got any suggestions for me? What's
> the best software to use? Do you make you own labels in Word? Do you use
> Avery labels or are there better brands to use for this?
>
> As I said, just fishing for some answers.
>
> TIA
>
> John

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Hi John,

I'm new here too. I use the avery labels like some of the others,
these come off the bottles very nice if allowed to soak . I fill up a
sink, submerge the bottles, go to work, then when I come home I use
the a super cheap razor-blade type scraper and the label just rolls
right off.

As far as printing, I like Microsoft Publisher. It allows me to place
text and pictures and whatever, any way I choose. I've given my wine
a "brand" name (a variation of my first and last names) , I put this,
plus the type of wine:ie - Merlot, Cranberry Shiraz, etc. Then I put
the batch number - not big, really just for me to know and when the
wine was bottled. Since the wine changes so much with age, I really
like the bottling date on the bottle. This is for wine kits. I then
put a picture or some other graphic and maybe a border if needed.

I also keep a 3-ring notebook with a sheet of paper for each batch.
Info on the sheet includes: type, manufacturer, price, location
purchased, start date and bottling date. As I begin to taste the
wine, I keep notes. I also note if something wierd happened during
production.

Susan

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
JB JB is offline

Getting some great feedback and suggestions!

Thanks to all.

John

"JB" > wrote in message
> This is a good group to monitor for someone just starting out making wine.
> I've just started my third kit and will begin my 4th next weekend. My
> question is about wine labels. My first two kits came with labels. Now I'm
> interested in creating my own label. Got any suggestions for me? What's
> the best software to use? Do you make you own labels in Word? Do you use
> Avery labels or are there better brands to use for this?
>
> As I said, just fishing for some answers.
>
> TIA
>
> John

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 16:25:25 -0500, JB wrote:

> This is a good group to monitor for someone just starting out making
> wine. I've just started my third kit and will begin my 4th next weekend.
> My question is about wine labels. My first two kits came with labels.
> Now I'm interested in creating my own label. Got any suggestions for me?
> What's the best software to use? Do you make you own labels in Word? Do
> you use Avery labels or are there better brands to use for this?

I use LaTeX, although I originally used LyX to align the columns. I
create a box, insert tabulars within it, make a 2x3 tabular with it in
each cell.

This lets me define the name and bottling numbers as variables at the
beginning, and to override the font size of the name if it gets to wide
(though it seems to me that I should be able to do this in two stages
with division; maybe there isn't a min function available in LaTeX
[something I would have known at the time I created it]).

Then they go to the laser printer, cut, and applied to the bottles with
milk.

This worked right until last weekend when the caterers put the white zin
in a tray of ice water to chill

hawk

--
These opinions are mine. If you want to use them, first pay my retainer!
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I use the Blank 36000 labels from Midwest supplies, a bit pricy but they
come off real easy with warm water.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...px?SubCat=1730

Labels? Tom Kunich Winemaking 2 25-10-2011 02:53 AM
Labels rwh Wine 5 04-07-2005 09:25 PM
More On Labels rwh Wine 0 13-04-2005 05:10 AM
Labels rwh Wine 0 12-04-2005 06:25 AM
Labels JoAnn Winemaking 6 11-10-2004 03:43 PM