Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

Default Removing wine-bottle labels in England / UK revisited...

For any UK winemakers who are still having problem removing the gum
left behind by new fangled (read annoying) labels on your wine-
bottles, I found a good product. It works pretty much the same as
WD-40 but leaves no obvious remains at all (no oil-sheen or
anything). It is called "Sticky Label Remover" (this is the UK after
all) and it smells citrus like some of the US products I heard of
before Goo-Gone (?) etc.

It is distributed by a company called tableau (
http://www.tableauproducts.com/categ...bel_Remover/37 )
You can buy it right on that site or get it in stores across the
country. The link I just posted includes a postcode stockist finder.
It comes highly recommended by myself!

After soaking and removing the paper portion of troublesome wine-
bottle labels, I used a 1 second spray from this aerosol and had the
stubborn goo removed within 20 seconds which is even faster than
rubbing with WD-40.

Thought I'd share anyway...

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

jim wrote:

> It is called "Sticky Label Remover"

<snip>
> After soaking and removing the paper portion of troublesome wine-
> bottle labels, I used a 1 second spray from this aerosol and had the
> stubborn goo removed within 20 seconds which is even faster than
> rubbing with WD-40.

Alternatively, use white spirit. Probably cheaper too :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"jim" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> For any UK winemakers who are still having problem removing the gum
> left behind by new fangled (read annoying) labels on your wine-
> bottles, I found a good product. It works pretty much the same as
> WD-40 but leaves no obvious remains at all (no oil-sheen or
> anything). It is called "Sticky Label Remover" (this is the UK after
> all) and it smells citrus like some of the US products I heard of
> before Goo-Gone (?) etc.
>
> It is distributed by a company called tableau (
> http://www.tableauproducts.com/categ...bel_Remover/37 )
> You can buy it right on that site or get it in stores across the
> country. The link I just posted includes a postcode stockist finder.
> It comes highly recommended by myself!
>
> After soaking and removing the paper portion of troublesome wine-
> bottle labels, I used a 1 second spray from this aerosol and had the
> stubborn goo removed within 20 seconds which is even faster than
> rubbing with WD-40.
>
> Thought I'd share anyway...
>
> Jim

Always found the following works best
1. Put bottles in hot soapy water for a few mins
2. remove most of the lable with a standard paint/wallpaper scraper
3. Any stubborn glue/gum gets a small neat dose of Fairy Liquid rubbed in
4. Finally clean the whole outside of the bottle with a scotbrite pad

The above method worked fine on the 30 bottles I prepared this weekend....

Member

Cool

Sometimes the wine labels are extremely stubborn (cheap bottles of Italian wine are notorious for this) and do not come off with soaking. For this there is the oven method but the glue is still left behind. I've found a way of removing this using nothing more than olive oil:

How to remove label and glue from wine bottles

Quote:
Originally Posted by John[_23_] View Post
"jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
For any UK winemakers who are still having problem removing the gum
left behind by new fangled (read annoying) labels on your wine-
bottles, I found a good product. It works pretty much the same as
WD-40 but leaves no obvious remains at all (no oil-sheen or
anything). It is called "Sticky Label Remover" (this is the UK after
all) and it smells citrus like some of the US products I heard of
before Goo-Gone (?) etc.

It is distributed by a company called tableau (
Sticky Label Remover: Household Care )
You can buy it right on that site or get it in stores across the
country. The link I just posted includes a postcode stockist finder.
It comes highly recommended by myself!

After soaking and removing the paper portion of troublesome wine-
bottle labels, I used a 1 second spray from this aerosol and had the
stubborn goo removed within 20 seconds which is even faster than
rubbing with WD-40.

Thought I'd share anyway...

Jim

Always found the following works best
1. Put bottles in hot soapy water for a few mins
2. remove most of the lable with a standard paint/wallpaper scraper
3. Any stubborn glue/gum gets a small neat dose of Fairy Liquid rubbed in
4. Finally clean the whole outside of the bottle with a scotbrite pad

The above method worked fine on the 30 bottles I prepared this weekend....
Member

I made them myself. I bought the small wine bottles, and I created and printed up labels on full sheet label paper. Then I cut them out (with a paper slicer) and stuck them on. They came great. I even decorated them with ribbon, flowers and tulle.If you decide to do it yourself go to a local beer/wine wholesaler. They can get you them cheap especially if you are ordering a lot of them.