Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Do grape seeds grow?

Does anyone know if you can germinate grape seeds?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 11, 2:39 pm, wrote:
> Does anyone know if you can germinate grape seeds?

listen to the other posters anyway, I've asked a similar question
about plums(did I ask here?) and have heard disapointing answers.

but i'm gonna give it a shot anyway. I have about 100 pits from my
first batch that i saved and will try germinating them indoors so I'll
hopefully have plum seedlings to plant when the snow thaws. some have
said it would take 5-10 years before any fruit shows, but I am not
really worried. more plum plants mean less grass to mow.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Yes, they do. As Paul mentioned, they may not reproduce "true" to
variety, but you can play with creating your own variety.

An easier, faster, and more predicatble way of getting vines without
buying stock is to take cuttings from existing plants and rooting them
(creating clones of the original plants). It's really easy - and you
can have vines growing the very next season. Drop me a note here if
you'd like details.

In article
. com>rossmann10@verizo

--
I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 109 days.
You should really try it!

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

Very interesting!

I wonder, if all the varietal vines in the wine-regions of the world
are clones of the mother variety, does that mean that eventually the
plant will become senile as is said to be happening to the banana
clones which we enjoy currently?

I wonder how long the sap-line of the current varietals has been
providing wine on this planet?

Thanks Rossman for this thread.

Jim

On Sep 12, 5:16 am, AxisOfBeagles > wrote:
> Yes, they do. As Paul mentioned, they may not reproduce "true" to
> variety, but you can play with creating your own variety.
>
> An easier, faster, and more predicatble way of getting vines without
> buying stock is to take cuttings from existing plants and rooting them
> (creating clones of the original plants). It's really easy - and you
> can have vines growing the very next season. Drop me a note here if
> you'd like details.
>
> In article
> . com>rossmann10@verizo
>
> n.net wrote:
> > Does anyone know if you can germinate grape seeds?

> --
> I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 109 days.
> You should really try it!http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

jim wrote:

> Very interesting!
>
> I wonder, if all the varietal vines in the
> wine-regions of the world are clones of the
> mother variety,

I believe that is pretty much the case. DNA
analysis has been of great help lately
determining the parentage of some varieties and
sorting out the different names for the same
grape in various parts of the world.

Nature does create its own hybrids also.
For example Cabernet Sauvignon has Cabernet Franc
and Sauvignon Blanc as parents. Sauvignon Blanc
is a white grape but the red pigment from the
Cabernet Franc is dominant in the gene pool.

> does that mean that eventually
> the plant will become senile as is said to be
> happening to the banana clones which we enjoy
> currently?

Can't comment on that except that drinkers of the
fermented juice of the grape (like myself) may
become senile.

> I wonder how long the sap-line of the current
> varietals has been providing wine on this
> planet?

Probably as long as there is history of wine
making.

. com>rossmann10@verizo

>> n.net wrote:
>> > Does anyone know if you can germinate grape
>> > seeds?

>> --
>> I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since
>> 109 days. You should really try
>> it!http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

Ha ha, thanks for the reply Paul!

Jim

On Sep 12, 1:38 pm, "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote:
> jim wrote:
> > Very interesting!

> > I wonder, if all the varietal vines in the
> > wine-regions of the world are clones of the
> > mother variety,

> I believe that is pretty much the case. DNA
> analysis has been of great help lately
> determining the parentage of some varieties and
> sorting out the different names for the same
> grape in various parts of the world.
>
> Nature does create its own hybrids also.
> For example Cabernet Sauvignon has Cabernet Franc
> and Sauvignon Blanc as parents. Sauvignon Blanc
> is a white grape but the red pigment from the
> Cabernet Franc is dominant in the gene pool.
>
> > does that mean that eventually
> > the plant will become senile as is said to be
> > happening to the banana clones which we enjoy
> > currently?

> Can't comment on that except that drinkers of the
> fermented juice of the grape (like myself) may
> become senile.
>

> > I wonder how long the sap-line of the current
> > varietals has been providing wine on this
> > planet?

> Probably as long as there is history of wine
> making.
>

> > Thanks Rossman for this thread.

> > Jim

> > On Sep 12, 5:16 am, AxisOfBeagles
> > > wrote:
> >> Yes, they do. As Paul mentioned, they may not
> >> reproduce "true" to variety, but you can play
> >> with creating your own variety.

> >> An easier, faster, and more predicatble way of
> >> getting vines without buying stock is to take
> >> cuttings from existing plants and rooting them
> >> (creating clones of the original plants). It's
> >> really easy - and you can have vines growing
> >> the very next season. Drop me a note here if
> >> you'd like details.

> >> In article

> . com>rossmann10@verizo

> >> --
> >> I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since
> >> 109 days. You should really try
> >> it!http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 11, 3:39 pm, wrote:
> Does anyone know if you can germinate grape seeds?

I dumped the press cake from last years merlot over the hill away from
my house last year to keep some of the fruit flies at bay.I was
trimming brush the other day and found seven baby vines growing.
Pretty cool having those vines growing there , but I'm pretty sure
they won't survive a western PA winter. Shame I don't have a green
house.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Sep 11, 3:39 pm, wrote:
>> Does anyone know if you can germinate grape seeds?

> I dumped the press cake from last years merlot over the hill away from
> my house last year to keep some of the fruit flies at bay.I was
> trimming brush the other day and found seven baby vines growing.
> Pretty cool having those vines growing there , but I'm pretty sure
> they won't survive a western PA winter. Shame I don't have a green
> house.

A little off the main topic concerning grapes, but along this same line, I
was sitting on my porch some years ago (8-10) eating a Mandarin orange
purchased from the local grocery. Just happened to be a potted plant within
arm's length, sans the plant as it had died. I dropped the seeds in it to
get rid of them, and on a whim decided to go ahead and punch them down in
the soil. I have two beautiful Mandarin orange trees in the backyard now
and more oranges than I know what to do with. Anyone have a Mandarin orange
wine recipe? :^)

Quixote

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

Yeah, that would be Jack Keller: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request130.asp

Bon Chance!

Jim

On Sep 13, 8:23 pm, "Quixote" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>
> > On Sep 11, 3:39 pm, wrote:
> >> Does anyone know if you can germinate grape seeds?

> > I dumped the press cake from last years merlot over the hill away from
> > my house last year to keep some of the fruit flies at bay.I was
> > trimming brush the other day and found seven baby vines growing.
> > Pretty cool having those vines growing there , but I'm pretty sure
> > they won't survive a western PA winter. Shame I don't have a green
> > house.

> A little off the main topic concerning grapes, but along this same line, I
> was sitting on my porch some years ago (8-10) eating a Mandarin orange
> purchased from the local grocery. Just happened to be a potted plant within
> arm's length, sans the plant as it had died. I dropped the seeds in it to
> get rid of them, and on a whim decided to go ahead and punch them down in
> the soil. I have two beautiful Mandarin orange trees in the backyard now
> and more oranges than I know what to do with. Anyone have a Mandarin orange
> wine recipe? :^)
>
> Quixote

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 13, 7:57 am, wrote:
> On Sep 11, 3:39 pm, wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if you can germinate grape seeds?

> I dumped the press cake from last years merlot over the hill away from
> my house last year to keep some of the fruit flies at bay.I was
> trimming brush the other day and found seven baby vines growing.
> Pretty cool having those vines growing there , but I'm pretty sure
> they won't survive a western PA winter. Shame I don't have a green
> house.

somewhere i read that there was a resurgence in grape growing in some
of the more harsher climes. no idea about the date of that info, but i
wonder, have you considered cold frames?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks. I have stomped all over Jack's site. Guess I missed it. Will
stomp some more. Was under the impression that citrus was not compatible
with wine making...

Quixote

"jim" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Yeah, that would be Jack Keller:
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request130.asp
>
> Bon Chance!
>
> Jim
>

> On Sep 13, 8:23 pm, "Quixote" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> ps.com...

>> > I dumped the press cake from last years merlot over the hill away from
>> > my house last year to keep some of the fruit flies at bay.I was
>> > trimming brush the other day and found seven baby vines growing.
>> > Pretty cool having those vines growing there , but I'm pretty sure
>> > they won't survive a western PA winter. Shame I don't have a green
>> > house.

>> A little off the main topic concerning grapes, but along this same line,
>> was sitting on my porch some years ago (8-10) eating a Mandarin orange
>> purchased from the local grocery. Just happened to be a potted plant
>> within
>> arm's length, sans the plant as it had died. I dropped the seeds in it
>> get rid of them, and on a whim decided to go ahead and punch them down in
>> the soil. I have two beautiful Mandarin orange trees in the backyard now
>> and more oranges than I know what to do with. Anyone have a Mandarin
>> orange
>> wine recipe? :^)
>>
>> Quixote

"The grape, as well as being an acquired taste, also is quite trickyto grow, winemakers say." aesthete8 Wine 0 07-08-2010 03:04 AM
Grow your own Nick Cramer Diabetic 3 03-06-2008 11:03 AM
Grape Disease Identification Request - Grape Leaf Disease.jpg (0/1) Charles E Winemaking 8 30-05-2007 04:03 AM
Grow Vertical - Grow an Herb Garden in just 15 inches of space Texas Moon General Cooking 5 04-09-2005 06:14 PM
Onion seeds vs Nigella seeds PenguiN General Cooking 6 16-03-2004 02:46 AM