Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Method Champagne - Sugar Calcs

I realize I could do this by hand but the uncertainty has me worried-
I'm not looking to produce hand grenades in the basement.

I have 54.0 L of Chardonnay that I have intended to turn into
Champagne. I would like to go for the higher end of the gas pressure
(90 psig), and have syringes capable of delivering near exact
quantities of fluid. That said, the recipe I have seen is at
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...0 1ddf9a5128b

(quoted)
Step one:Tirage
INGREDIENTS
5 gal cuvee ( or white wine to the rest of us)alc content of 10.5%and
6 months old
13 oz(390 grams) sugar
5 tsp yeast nutrient
2 x 5g champagne yeast

I was told you could sterile filter the cuvee (to give the wine a
'clean start') prior to inoculation with sugar and yeast, or that you
could mud it and settle it, or you could go directly into the bottle.
I haven't decided yet which.

I know there is a CO2 equiv chart for how many grams per atmosphere,
but I can not locate it.

Help and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Jason

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On May 20, 1:44 pm, wrote:
> I realize I could do this by hand but the uncertainty has me worried-
> I'm not looking to produce hand grenades in the basement.
>
> I have 54.0 L of Chardonnay that I have intended to turn into
> Champagne. I would like to go for the higher end of the gas pressure
> (90 psig), and have syringes capable of delivering near exact
> quantities of fluid. That said, the recipe I have seen is athttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.winemaking/browse_frm/threa...
>
> (quoted)
> Step one:Tirage
> INGREDIENTS
> 5 gal cuvee ( or white wine to the rest of us)alc content of 10.5%and
> 6 months old
> 13 oz(390 grams) sugar
> 5 tsp yeast nutrient
> 2 x 5g champagne yeast
>
> I was told you could sterile filter the cuvee (to give the wine a
> 'clean start') prior to inoculation with sugar and yeast, or that you
> could mud it and settle it, or you could go directly into the bottle.
> I haven't decided yet which.
>
> I know there is a CO2 equiv chart for how many grams per atmosphere,
> but I can not locate it.
>
> Help and suggestions greatly appreciated!
>
> Jas

I'm traveling but the sugar looks right. Don't use champagne yeast,
at least whatever Red Star calls champagne. Use something different
than the initial. I like EC1118. Filtering first seems a waste of
time. I do the whole carboy, I do not inject bottles.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

On May 20, 10:44 am, wrote:
> I realize I could do this by hand but the uncertainty has me worried-
> I'm not looking to produce hand grenades in the basement.
>
> I have 54.0 L of Chardonnay that I have intended to turn into
> Champagne. I would like to go for the higher end of the gas pressure
> (90 psig), and have syringes capable of delivering near exact
> quantities of fluid. That said, the recipe I have seen is athttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.winemaking/browse_frm/threa...
>
> (quoted)
> Step one:Tirage
> INGREDIENTS
> 5 gal cuvee ( or white wine to the rest of us)alc content of 10.5%and
> 6 months old
> 13 oz(390 grams) sugar
> 5 tsp yeast nutrient
> 2 x 5g champagne yeast
>
> I was told you could sterile filter the cuvee (to give the wine a
> 'clean start') prior to inoculation with sugar and yeast, or that you
> could mud it and settle it, or you could go directly into the bottle.
> I haven't decided yet which.
>
> I know there is a CO2 equiv chart for how many grams per atmosphere,
> but I can not locate it.
>
> Help and suggestions greatly appreciated!
>
> Jason

Here is a great background reference, it should have all info you need
and mo

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/viticultu...7/463-017.html

Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On May 22, 12:37 pm, pp > wrote:
> On May 20, 10:44 am, wrote:
>

> > I realize I could do this by hand but the uncertainty has me worried-
> > I'm not looking to produce hand grenades in the basement.

> > I have 54.0 L of Chardonnay that I have intended to turn into
> > Champagne. I would like to go for the higher end of the gas pressure
> > (90 psig), and have syringes capable of delivering near exact
> > quantities of fluid. That said, the recipe I have seen is athttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.winemaking/browse_frm/threa...

> > (quoted)
> > Step one:Tirage
> > INGREDIENTS
> > 5 gal cuvee ( or white wine to the rest of us)alc content of 10.5%and
> > 6 months old
> > 13 oz(390 grams) sugar
> > 5 tsp yeast nutrient
> > 2 x 5g champagne yeast

> > I was told you could sterile filter the cuvee (to give the wine a
> > 'clean start') prior to inoculation with sugar and yeast, or that you
> > could mud it and settle it, or you could go directly into the bottle.
> > I haven't decided yet which.

> > I know there is a CO2 equiv chart for how many grams per atmosphere,
> > but I can not locate it.

> > Help and suggestions greatly appreciated!

> > Jason

> Here is a great background reference, it should have all info you need
> and mo
>
> http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/viticultu...7/463-017.html
>
> Pp- Hide quoted text -

What a great link. I'm going to make a sparkler again this year.

Thanks,
Joe