Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default hi from alison

Hi all. My name is Alison. I live in the UK and have recently resumed wine
making after an 11 year break. Because I gave away all my old equipment, I
have started to replace it gradually but am somewhat saddened to see that
locally, virtually all the homebrew shops have now gone. I assume people buy
online these days.
Anyhow any correspondance would be good . Regards Alison

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Hi, Alison
I'm sure wine making hasn't changed much in 11 years, but buying wine
making stuff sure has. I am in the United States, so these may not give
favorable shipping rates, but I use:

Northern Brewer - because they are overall cheapest, I've found so far.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/

Home Brew Heaven - cause they off the most help and advice
http://www.homebrewheaven.com/

Home Brewers - cause they had the best deal on wine making kits, I've
found so far.
http://www.homebrewers.com/

I'm sure others have U.K. places online, but good luck.

DAve

alison wrote:
> Hi all. My name is Alison. I live in the UK and have recently resumed wine
> making after an 11 year break. Because I gave away all my old equipment, I
> have started to replace it gradually but am somewhat saddened to see that
> locally, virtually all the homebrew shops have now gone. I assume people buy
> online these days.
> Anyhow any correspondance would be good . Regards Alison

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"alison" > wrote in message
.uk...
> Hi all. My name is Alison. I live in the UK and have recently resumed wine
> making after an 11 year break. Because I gave away all my old equipment, I
> have started to replace it gradually but am somewhat saddened to see that
> locally, virtually all the homebrew shops have now gone. I assume people
> buy
> online these days.
> Anyhow any correspondance would be good . Regards Alison

You could try Wilkinsons they do stock some of the essentials failing that
two internet brew supplies I have used a
http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/
http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/
also the forums he
http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/cgi/yabb/YaBB.cgi

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Hi Leon, thanks for the advice. I think Wilcos vary around the country but
your website links will be great. Regards Alison
"leon" > wrote in message

> "alison" > wrote in message
> .uk...
> > Hi all. My name is Alison. I live in the UK and have recently resumed

wine
> > making after an 11 year break. Because I gave away all my old equipment,

> > have started to replace it gradually but am somewhat saddened to see

that
> > locally, virtually all the homebrew shops have now gone. I assume people
> > buy
> > online these days.
> > Anyhow any correspondance would be good . Regards Alison
> >

> You could try Wilkinsons they do stock some of the essentials failing that
> two internet brew supplies I have used a
> http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/
> http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/
> also the forums he
> http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/cgi/yabb/YaBB.cgi

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Hi Dave. You are right there are a few online suppliers in the UK that have
been brought to my attention. Thanks for writing regards Alison
"Dave Allison" > wrote in message
> Hi, Alison
> I'm sure wine making hasn't changed much in 11 years, but buying wine
> making stuff sure has. I am in the United States, so these may not give
> favorable shipping rates, but I use:
>
> Northern Brewer - because they are overall cheapest, I've found so far.
> http://www.northernbrewer.com/
>
> Home Brew Heaven - cause they off the most help and advice
> http://www.homebrewheaven.com/
>
> Home Brewers - cause they had the best deal on wine making kits, I've
> found so far.
> http://www.homebrewers.com/
>
> I'm sure others have U.K. places online, but good luck.
>
> DAve
>

> alison wrote:
> > Hi all. My name is Alison. I live in the UK and have recently resumed

wine
> > making after an 11 year break. Because I gave away all my old equipment,

> > have started to replace it gradually but am somewhat saddened to see

that
> > locally, virtually all the homebrew shops have now gone. I assume people

buy
> > online these days.
> > Anyhow any correspondance would be good . Regards Alison

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Alison,
wish I was there. I could give you a 5-gallon carboy or two to get you
started. I don't know where the winemaking supply stores are on your side of
'the pond', but do remember a fellow from Scotland who was heavily into
fruit wines. Can't recall his name, but he did have a website. Perhaps one
of our better archive navigators could help with that.
Joanne - amongst the wild tumbleweeds of Ari(d)zona

"alison" > wrote in message
.uk...
> Hi all. My name is Alison. I live in the UK and have recently resumed wine
> making after an 11 year break. Because I gave away all my old equipment, I
> have started to replace it gradually but am somewhat saddened to see that
> locally, virtually all the homebrew shops have now gone. I assume people
> buy
> online these days.
> Anyhow any correspondance would be good . Regards Alison

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

but do remember a fellow from Scotland who was heavily into
> fruit wines. Can't recall his name, but he did have a website.

Joanne,
I think you mean Ben Rotter and he would be a great resource.

Allison,
Here is his website, it includes an email address.

http://www.brsquared.org/wine/

He is very knowledgeable.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

Hi Alison.

No the number of high street suppliers has gone down massively, though the online ones I use are based their own shop.

Boots no longer stock wine equipment either sadly, when I started recently I thought I'd get a bit of nostalgia there.
There are only 3 or 4 wine-shops that I've found in the whole of Birmingham (UK) where I live. Which was a surprise
since they seemed to be on every street when I was younger.

I suppose people just buy their wines more often these days.

Jim

"alison" > wrote in message ...
> Hi Dave. You are right there are a few online suppliers in the UK that have
> been brought to my attention. Thanks for writing regards Alison
> "Dave Allison" > wrote in message
>> Hi, Alison
>> I'm sure wine making hasn't changed much in 11 years, but buying wine
>> making stuff sure has. I am in the United States, so these may not give
>> favorable shipping rates, but I use:
>>
>> Northern Brewer - because they are overall cheapest, I've found so far.
>> http://www.northernbrewer.com/
>>
>> Home Brew Heaven - cause they off the most help and advice
>> http://www.homebrewheaven.com/
>>
>> Home Brewers - cause they had the best deal on wine making kits, I've
>> found so far.
>> http://www.homebrewers.com/
>>
>> I'm sure others have U.K. places online, but good luck.
>>
>> DAve
>>

>> alison wrote:
>> > Hi all. My name is Alison. I live in the UK and have recently resumed

> wine
>> > making after an 11 year break. Because I gave away all my old equipment,

>> > have started to replace it gradually but am somewhat saddened to see

> that
>> > locally, virtually all the homebrew shops have now gone. I assume people

> buy
>> > online these days.
>> > Anyhow any correspondance would be good . Regards Alison

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks to all who have responded. I have tons of places to try now. Regards
Alison
ups.com...