Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
BM BM is offline

Default Poll: Help a First-Timer

I've been waiting for a while to get into wine-making. I finally have
the space! My plan is to buy a kit of the supplies I will need and two
kits of ingredients - one that will be ready sooner and one that will
be ready later. I'd like to do one white (preferably a Chardonnay) and
a red. I am not too concerned with the cost of the kits as I want to
end up with decent wine. So the big question is....

What kits would you recommend?

Thanks for you help!

-Beth

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

BM,

I have a wine cellar in the back yard, that I dug and put stones
around for walls. It works perfectly for keeping my home-made wine at
the PERFECT temperature. I also make tomato wine from the tomato's in
my garden....There's a lot of stuff you can make wine out of!

Good luck in your new hobby!

IJM

BM wrote:
> I've been waiting for a while to get into wine-making. I finally have
> the space! My plan is to buy a kit of the supplies I will need and two
> kits of ingredients - one that will be ready sooner and one that will
> be ready later. I'd like to do one white (preferably a Chardonnay) and
> a red. I am not too concerned with the cost of the kits as I want to
> end up with decent wine. So the big question is....
>
> What kits would you recommend?
>
> Thanks for you help!
>
> -Beth

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Kits i started with that turned out really good:

REDS
Selection Original Series from WinExpert Pinot Noir
or
Selection International Series from WinExpert Australian Shiraz

Whites? I'm not much into white kits yet. I've heard Austrian Chardonnay
from above is also good.

No way attached to this company.
DAve

BM wrote:
> I've been waiting for a while to get into wine-making. I finally have
> the space! My plan is to buy a kit of the supplies I will need and two
> kits of ingredients - one that will be ready sooner and one that will
> be ready later. I'd like to do one white (preferably a Chardonnay) and
> a red. I am not too concerned with the cost of the kits as I want to
> end up with decent wine. So the big question is....
>
> What kits would you recommend?
>
> Thanks for you help!
>
> -Beth

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 9/24/2006 9:16 PM, BM wrote:
> I've been waiting for a while to get into wine-making. I finally have
> the space! My plan is to buy a kit of the supplies I will need and two
> kits of ingredients - one that will be ready sooner and one that will
> be ready later. I'd like to do one white (preferably a Chardonnay) and
> a red. I am not too concerned with the cost of the kits as I want to
> end up with decent wine. So the big question is....
>
> What kits would you recommend?
>
> Thanks for you help!
>
> -Beth

Beth,

If cost is not an object and you're looking to make a kit wine, then go
with the higher end kits. I'll echo Dave on the kits he listed, and
I'll add the Selection Limited Edition Series if you can find any
remaining. Basically you're looking for a kit with the least amount of
condensing, and the Selection 15 and 16 liter kits are those for the
BrewKing/Winexpert offerings.

Welcome to the hobby, and you'll be sorry you didn't begin earlier.
At least, that was my sentiment once I began. Like you, I put it off
until I moved into a larger home, and it wasn't until I started that I
realized how little space was needed for the beginner. The hobby
equipment does have a tendency to grow to fill all available space, so
be warned in advance!

Cheers,
Ken

Kitchen timer goes to the smartphone - Kitchenmate Timer hSenid Cooking Equipment 1 06-12-2012 10:54 AM
Egg Timer Gregory Morrow[_408_] General Cooking 1 02-02-2010 09:49 AM
timer heteroscedastic General Cooking 3 10-08-2009 07:45 PM
First timer Michael Sourdough 19 09-05-2007 07:43 PM
3 Min Egg Timer Jack Schmidling General Cooking 21 07-04-2006 06:12 PM