Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Looking for TNs

Does anyone have reasonably recent TNs for 98 Lafon Rochet and 95
Louis Jadot Corton Greves?

I'm planning menus for the UK Bank Holiday weekend (27th-29th) and
would be interested in serving either or both if they're drinking OK.

I've seen some recent (2006) notes on the Lafon that suggest it is an
old fashioned wine that might need some time yet, and others that seem
to suggest that it is simply tannic with little hope of redemption.
That said the company at the end of the month tend to like their
claret "old-fashioned" so a little tannin won't bother us too much.

As for the Corton, I'm finding very little, and if anything, I'm
worried that it may have crested the rise and be sauntering downhill.

James
James Dempster

You know you've had a good night
when you wake up
and someone's outlining you in chalk.
Posted to alt.food.wine

James Dempster wrote:
> Does anyone have reasonably recent TNs for 98 Lafon Rochet and 95
> Louis Jadot Corton Greves?
>
> I'm planning menus for the UK Bank Holiday weekend (27th-29th) and
> would be interested in serving either or both if they're drinking OK.
>
> I've seen some recent (2006) notes on the Lafon that suggest it is an
> old fashioned wine that might need some time yet, and others that seem
> to suggest that it is simply tannic with little hope of redemption.
> That said the company at the end of the month tend to like their
> claret "old-fashioned" so a little tannin won't bother us too much.

Michael Broadbent tasted 98 Lafon in 99 and 2000. He lists it as a
potential 3 out of 5 star, but unready. He suggested a drinking date of
2005-2012.

> As for the Corton, I'm finding very little, and if anything, I'm
> worried that it may have crested the rise and be sauntering downhill.

Broadbent also tasted the 95 L. Jadot Corton(no mention of Greves) in
2001. He rated it 4 out of 5 star and suggested drinking it between
2006 - 2012. Although not an exact match, perhaps this will help. The
year 95 was quite good in general in this region. Corton, when well
made in a good year, tends to be a long-lasting wine. I doubt if your
bottle is over the hill, if well stored, and I would not be surprised
if it improves a bit with more age.

Posted to alt.food.wine

I haven't had the Corton -Greves, but I think I had the Jadot Corton,
Clos du Roi '95 (or it could have been '96, can't find notes).
Definitely needed time- and even if it was the '96 I tasted, my general
(limited) '95 experience is that the bigger wines need time. As
Cwdjrxyz suggests, the various Corton grand crus can be very
long-lived. I'm pretty sure the Greves is a domaine wine (I think the
Clos du Roi was negociant) - usually a step up from the bought wines at
Jadot.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 16 May 2006 06:58:51 -0700, "DaleW" > wrote:

>I haven't had the Corton -Greves, but I think I had the Jadot Corton,
>Clos du Roi '95 (or it could have been '96, can't find notes).
>Definitely needed time- and even if it was the '96 I tasted, my general
>(limited) '95 experience is that the bigger wines need time. As
>Cwdjrxyz suggests, the various Corton grand crus can be very
>long-lived. I'm pretty sure the Greves is a domaine wine (I think the
>Clos du Roi was negociant) - usually a step up from the bought wines at
>Jadot.

Many thanks Dale and Cwdjrxyz, I'll post my own TNs if/when the
bottles are opened.