Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Selling a 1959 Chateau Lafite-Rothschild in Toronto - thoughts?

I'm trying to sell a collectable wine bottle (or two) in Toronto and am
looking for feedback.

Please see:

1959
"THE GREATEST"
LAFITE ROTHSCHILD
* Pauillac, Bordeaux, France *
UNOPENED + 99 Pts.

Rated - 98/100 Wine Spectator
Rated - 99/100 Robert Parker

http://toronto.craigslist.org/clt/147052126.html

Cheers!

Posted to alt.food.wine

cdhc618 wrote:
> I'm trying to sell a collectable wine bottle (or two) in Toronto and am
> looking for feedback.
>
> Please see:
>
> 1959
> "THE GREATEST"
> LAFITE ROTHSCHILD
> * Pauillac, Bordeaux, France *
> UNOPENED + 99 Pts.
>
> Rated - 98/100 Wine Spectator
> Rated - 99/100 Robert Parker
>
> http://toronto.craigslist.org/clt/147052126.html

Your ability to sell a bottle of this age for anything near its "fair
market value" will depend on provenance. Any serious wine collector
will want some assurance that the wine has been stored in temperature
controlled conditions since its release in 1962. If you can provide
such provenance, you'd be best off selling it at auction. For a single
bottle, you'd probably want to use winecommune.

HTH
Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

This is awesome (winecommune and your advice) -- many thanks!

Posted to alt.food.wine

The latest average auction price for that wine was $1552.00(US).

"cdhc618" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm trying to sell a collectable wine bottle (or two) in Toronto and am
> looking for feedback.
>
> Please see:
>
> 1959
> "THE GREATEST"
> LAFITE ROTHSCHILD
> * Pauillac, Bordeaux, France *
> UNOPENED + 99 Pts.
>
> Rated - 98/100 Wine Spectator
> Rated - 99/100 Robert Parker
>
> http://toronto.craigslist.org/clt/147052126.html
>
> Cheers!

Posted to alt.food.wine

sibeer wrote:
> The latest average auction price for that wine was $1552.00(US).
>

> "cdhc618" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I'm trying to sell a collectable wine bottle (or two) in Toronto and am
> > looking for feedback.
> >
> > Please see:
> >
> > 1959
> > "THE GREATEST"
> > LAFITE ROTHSCHILD
> > * Pauillac, Bordeaux, France *
> > UNOPENED + 99 Pts.
> >
> > Rated - 98/100 Wine Spectator
> > Rated - 99/100 Robert Parker
> >
> > http://toronto.craigslist.org/clt/147052126.html
> >
> > Cheers!

You will have major problems shipping across the border. In fact you're
unlikely to proceed without it being seized. If they open it and see a
bottle they will keep it as far as I know. You may want to look into
that as most purchaser on winecommune or American.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"megatron" wrote

> You will have major problems shipping across the border.
> In fact you're unlikely to proceed without it being seized.
> If they open it and see a bottle they will keep it as far as I
> know. You may want to look into that as most purchaser on
> winecommune or American.

What a load of paranoid crap.

I am a foreigner - I have travelled into and out of both the US and Canada
on many occasions, and always with as few as four and as many as a dozen
bottles of wine in my bags (imported from NZ in my baggage through LA or San
Francisco or even Vancouver.

Sure, you Americans and Canadians have the most archaic wine transshipment
laws on earth - particularly when you consider that you can drive unhindered
from Spain to France to Italy to Switzerland to Germany or Austria without
some demented customs officer strip searching you to see if you have a
bottle of wine stashed up your ass!!!!!

I have driven from the US into Canada and return - with wine in my
possession. I have also driven interstate - from Ca into Az again with a few
bottles in my vehicle - and never was I apprehended - and certainly
nothing was ever seized.

Methinks that although the law is the law; very rarely is it enforced,
particularly in the case of one lousy bottle.

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

I would agree, however, not that long ago, a person in the wine
industry in VA sold a bottle of wine to an individual in dc or MD, and
all hell broke loose. think the seller was someone who wrote in the
wash post, but not certain any more.

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 20:59:08 +1200, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>"megatron" wrote
>>
>> You will have major problems shipping across the border.
>> In fact you're unlikely to proceed without it being seized.
>> If they open it and see a bottle they will keep it as far as I
>> know. You may want to look into that as most purchaser on
>> winecommune or American.
>>

>What a load of paranoid crap.
>
>I am a foreigner - I have travelled into and out of both the US and Canada
>on many occasions, and always with as few as four and as many as a dozen
>bottles of wine in my bags (imported from NZ in my baggage through LA or San
>Francisco or even Vancouver.
>
>Sure, you Americans and Canadians have the most archaic wine transshipment
>laws on earth - particularly when you consider that you can drive unhindered
>from Spain to France to Italy to Switzerland to Germany or Austria without
>some demented customs officer strip searching you to see if you have a
>bottle of wine stashed up your ass!!!!!
>
>I have driven from the US into Canada and return - with wine in my
>possession. I have also driven interstate - from Ca into Az again with a few
>bottles in my vehicle - and never was I apprehended - and certainly
>nothing was ever seized.
>
>Methinks that although the law is the law; very rarely is it enforced,
>particularly in the case of one lousy bottle.

Posted to alt.food.wine

There is a difference between carrying a wine across the border and
trying to ship it across the border. Rarely is there a problem carrying
it unless it's an excessive amount. Shipping is more difficult. Many
shippers won't even accept it if they are told it's wine.

Andy

Posted to alt.food.wine

"JEP62" wrote ...

> There is a difference between carrying a wine across the border and
> trying to ship it across the border. Rarely is there a problem carrying
> it unless it's an excessive amount. Shipping is more difficult. Many
> shippers won't even accept it if they are told it's wine.

Andy, in my haste, I thought, maybe mistakenly, that if anyone from the US
was interested in purchasing this bottle (or two - as the OP stated) then
they would not be spending $US1,000 or $US1,500 without taking a look-see
first.

Besides, Toronto is just across the border isn't it?

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote:
> "JEP62" wrote ...
>
>> There is a difference between carrying a wine across the border and
>> trying to ship it across the border. Rarely is there a problem carrying
>> it unless it's an excessive amount. Shipping is more difficult. Many
>> shippers won't even accept it if they are told it's wine.

> Andy, in my haste, I thought, maybe mistakenly, that if anyone from the US
> was interested in purchasing this bottle (or two - as the OP stated) then
> they would not be spending $US1,000 or $US1,500 without taking a look-see
> first.
>
> Besides, Toronto is just across the border isn't it?
>
> st.helier

by car, maybe an hour from Buffalo, NY in non-rush hour traffic, and a
good 4 hours from Detroit, MI.

Dennis

Posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote:

> Andy, in my haste, I thought, maybe mistakenly, that if anyone from the US
> was interested in purchasing this bottle (or two - as the OP stated) then
> they would not be spending $US1,000 or $US1,500 without taking a look-see
> first.

I certainly would, but I don't know if that is really an option if an
internet auction site is used.

> Besides, Toronto is just across the border isn't it?

Yes, close to Buffallo NY, but I wouldn't expect the market for this
type of wine to be very large in that area. I think there would be more
potential buyers in a major US city which would be much farther from
Toronto.

Andy