Posted to alt.food.wine

Default US Boycott affects sales

Reuters report in NZ Herald 13 Feb
that sales of french wine in US took a hit
of an estimated $US112m as result of
US/GBR invasion of Iraq.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/pr...ectid=10367968

greybeard

Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks for the post. I was part of that boycott, but eventually I got
over it.

Dan-O

Posted to alt.food.wine

(Alas it didn't drop the prices of Burgundies and Rhônes and Languedocs,
that I noticed. Possibly those were not the wines the boycotters knew and
dropped?)

I, in the US, feel that such a boycott was idiotic and (as usual when people
lash out at convenient targets of opportunity) likely even counterproductive
to the boycotters' own aims. (Such views were shared, I found, by some
winemaking families I spoke to in France at the time, who, being people and
not vague feel-good targets like "nations," sometimes had similar views on
the political issue as did the US people who were trying to harm these
families through boycott.)

A couple of dramatic, instructive examples I've seen of the
target-of-opportunity mindset were a poster on some newsgroups in the late
1980s, bitter about some past wrong done her and yet (in trying to address
it online) untroubled by doing likewise to others, whom she misidentified.
The other example was someone a few years ealier who left bombs in public
places at a university, frequented by (among many other people) me, and two
folks I know who were in fact blown up; the places also were frequented by
visiting children, students, maintenance employees, etc. and so the
individuals exposed to death and destruction by the "unabomber" had no
necessary connection whatsoever to whatever statement that deranged
individual was attempting. A shared, self-absorbed mind-set can be
perceived in all of these cases.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Max Hauser wrote:
> (Alas it didn't drop the prices of Burgundies and Rhônes and Languedocs,
> that I noticed. Possibly those were not the wines the boycotters knew and
> dropped?)
>
> I, in the US, feel that such a boycott was idiotic and (as usual when people
> lash out at convenient targets of opportunity) likely even counterproductive
> to the boycotters' own aims.

I agree.
Posted to alt.food.wine

I was and am boycotting most french wines in my cellar.

I have purchased quite a few of the Bordeaux 2000's including some first
growths. These I plan to boycott for about 10-20 years.

I am continuing to boycott my 1995 top growths.

Most Champagne I found required little boycotting. The caseo of Cristal
1999 and the Dom 1996 I have tried and it needs boycotting for 3-5 years in
my opinion.

My boycott is civilized. I decide when I buy how long to boycott. :-)

"Max Hauser" > wrote in message
> (Alas it didn't drop the prices of Burgundies and Rhônes and Languedocs,
> that I noticed. Possibly those were not the wines the boycotters knew and
> dropped?)
>
> I, in the US, feel that such a boycott was idiotic and (as usual when
> people lash out at convenient targets of opportunity) likely even
> counterproductive to the boycotters' own aims. (Such views were shared, I
> found, by some winemaking families I spoke to in France at the time, who,
> being people and not vague feel-good targets like "nations," sometimes had
> similar views on the political issue as did the US people who were trying
> to harm these families through boycott.)
>
> A couple of dramatic, instructive examples I've seen of the
> target-of-opportunity mindset were a poster on some newsgroups in the late
> 1980s, bitter about some past wrong done her and yet (in trying to address
> it online) untroubled by doing likewise to others, whom she misidentified.
> The other example was someone a few years ealier who left bombs in public
> places at a university, frequented by (among many other people) me, and
> two folks I know who were in fact blown up; the places also were
> frequented by visiting children, students, maintenance employees, etc. and
> so the individuals exposed to death and destruction by the "unabomber" had
> no necessary connection whatsoever to whatever statement that deranged
> individual was attempting. A shared, self-absorbed mind-set can be
> perceived in all of these cases.

Posted to alt.food.wine

<Chuckle> Thanks for the levity, Mr. Neidich. I just broke a three-day
boycott of Bella Sera Pinot Grigio!

Dan-O

Richard Neidich wrote:
> I was and am boycotting most french wines in my cellar.
>
> I have purchased quite a few of the Bordeaux 2000's including some first
> growths. These I plan to boycott for about 10-20 years.
>
> I am continuing to boycott my 1995 top growths.
>
> Most Champagne I found required little boycotting. The caseo of Cristal
> 1999 and the Dom 1996 I have tried and it needs boycotting for 3-5 years in
> my opinion.
>
> My boycott is civilized. I decide when I buy how long to boycott. :-)
>

> "Max Hauser" > wrote in message
> > (Alas it didn't drop the prices of Burgundies and Rhônes and Languedocs,
> > that I noticed. Possibly those were not the wines the boycotters knew and
> > dropped?)
> >
> > I, in the US, feel that such a boycott was idiotic and (as usual when
> > people lash out at convenient targets of opportunity) likely even
> > counterproductive to the boycotters' own aims. (Such views were shared, I
> > found, by some winemaking families I spoke to in France at the time, who,
> > being people and not vague feel-good targets like "nations," sometimes had
> > similar views on the political issue as did the US people who were trying
> > to harm these families through boycott.)
> >
> > A couple of dramatic, instructive examples I've seen of the
> > target-of-opportunity mindset were a poster on some newsgroups in the late
> > 1980s, bitter about some past wrong done her and yet (in trying to address
> > it online) untroubled by doing likewise to others, whom she misidentified.
> > The other example was someone a few years ealier who left bombs in public
> > places at a university, frequented by (among many other people) me, and
> > two folks I know who were in fact blown up; the places also were
> > frequented by visiting children, students, maintenance employees, etc. and
> > so the individuals exposed to death and destruction by the "unabomber" had
> > no necessary connection whatsoever to whatever statement that deranged
> > individual was attempting. A shared, self-absorbed mind-set can be
> > perceived in all of these cases.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Most in this group do not seem to find my humor funny :-(

oups.com...

Richard Neidich wrote:
> I was and am boycotting most french wines in my cellar.
>
> I have purchased quite a few of the Bordeaux 2000's including some first
> growths. These I plan to boycott for about 10-20 years.
>
> I am continuing to boycott my 1995 top growths.
>
> Most Champagne I found required little boycotting. The caseo of Cristal
> 1999 and the Dom 1996 I have tried and it needs boycotting for 3-5 years
> in
> my opinion.
>
> My boycott is civilized. I decide when I buy how long to boycott. :-)
>

> "Max Hauser" > wrote in message
> > (Alas it didn't drop the prices of Burgundies and Rhônes and Languedocs,
> > that I noticed. Possibly those were not the wines the boycotters knew
> > and
> > dropped?)
> >
> > I, in the US, feel that such a boycott was idiotic and (as usual when
> > people lash out at convenient targets of opportunity) likely even
> > counterproductive to the boycotters' own aims. (Such views were shared,
> > found, by some winemaking families I spoke to in France at the time,
> > who,
> > being people and not vague feel-good targets like "nations," sometimes
> > had
> > similar views on the political issue as did the US people who were
> > trying
> > to harm these families through boycott.)
> >
> > A couple of dramatic, instructive examples I've seen of the
> > target-of-opportunity mindset were a poster on some newsgroups in the
> > late
> > 1980s, bitter about some past wrong done her and yet (in trying to
> > address
> > it online) untroubled by doing likewise to others, whom she
> > misidentified.
> > The other example was someone a few years ealier who left bombs in
> > public
> > places at a university, frequented by (among many other people) me, and
> > two folks I know who were in fact blown up; the places also were
> > frequented by visiting children, students, maintenance employees, etc.
> > and
> > so the individuals exposed to death and destruction by the "unabomber"
> > had
> > no necessary connection whatsoever to whatever statement that deranged
> > individual was attempting. A shared, self-absorbed mind-set can be
> > perceived in all of these cases.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Well, I thought it was "cute"

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Most in this group do not seem to find my humor funny :-(
>

> "Dan The Man" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> <Chuckle> Thanks for the levity, Mr. Neidich. I just broke a three-day
> boycott of Bella Sera Pinot Grigio!
>
> Dan-O
>
> Richard Neidich wrote:
>> I was and am boycotting most french wines in my cellar.
>>
>> I have purchased quite a few of the Bordeaux 2000's including some first
>> growths. These I plan to boycott for about 10-20 years.
>>
>> I am continuing to boycott my 1995 top growths.
>>
>> Most Champagne I found required little boycotting. The caseo of Cristal
>> 1999 and the Dom 1996 I have tried and it needs boycotting for 3-5 years
>> in
>> my opinion.
>>
>> My boycott is civilized. I decide when I buy how long to boycott. :-)
>>

>> "Max Hauser" > wrote in message
>> > (Alas it didn't drop the prices of Burgundies and Rhônes and
>> > Languedocs,
>> > that I noticed. Possibly those were not the wines the boycotters knew
>> > and
>> > dropped?)
>> >
>> > I, in the US, feel that such a boycott was idiotic and (as usual when
>> > people lash out at convenient targets of opportunity) likely even
>> > counterproductive to the boycotters' own aims. (Such views were
>> > shared, I
>> > found, by some winemaking families I spoke to in France at the time,
>> > who,
>> > being people and not vague feel-good targets like "nations," sometimes
>> > had
>> > similar views on the political issue as did the US people who were
>> > trying
>> > to harm these families through boycott.)
>> >
>> > A couple of dramatic, instructive examples I've seen of the
>> > target-of-opportunity mindset were a poster on some newsgroups in the
>> > late
>> > 1980s, bitter about some past wrong done her and yet (in trying to
>> > address
>> > it online) untroubled by doing likewise to others, whom she
>> > misidentified.
>> > The other example was someone a few years ealier who left bombs in
>> > public
>> > places at a university, frequented by (among many other people) me, and
>> > two folks I know who were in fact blown up; the places also were
>> > frequented by visiting children, students, maintenance employees, etc.
>> > and
>> > so the individuals exposed to death and destruction by the "unabomber"
>> > had
>> > no necessary connection whatsoever to whatever statement that deranged
>> > individual was attempting. A shared, self-absorbed mind-set can be
>> > perceived in all of these cases.

Posted to alt.food.wine
eNo eNo is offline

"Max Hauser" > wrote in message
> (Alas it didn't drop the prices of Burgundies and Rhônes and Languedocs,
> that I noticed. Possibly those were not the wines the boycotters knew and
> dropped?)
>
> I, in the US, feel that such a boycott was idiotic and (as usual when

people
> lash out at convenient targets of opportunity) likely even

counterproductive
> to the boycotters' own aims. (Such views were shared, I found, by some
> winemaking families I spoke to in France at the time, who, being people

and
> not vague feel-good targets like "nations," sometimes had similar views on
> the political issue as did the US people who were trying to harm these
> families through boycott.)

This is a good point: in my limited travels through Burgundy, I discovered
most folks there were not nearly as left-leaning as those in Paris. In fact,
there was quite a bit of resentment toward Paris. Sort of like how folks in
those "fly-over" states feel toward NY, LA, and DC.

--
`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°
,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø ,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,

Posted to alt.food.wine

Salut/Hi eNo,

le/on Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:05:50 -0800, tu disais/you said:-

>> not vague feel-good targets like "nations," sometimes had similar views on
>> the political issue as did the US people who were trying to harm these
>> families through boycott.)

>This is a good point: in my limited travels through Burgundy, I discovered
>most folks there were not nearly as left-leaning as those in Paris. In fact,
>there was quite a bit of resentment toward Paris.

You ARE aware that Mr Chirac and his government are both right wing are you?
Well ... not by George Dubya standards perhaps, but nevertheless right wing
by European standards.

There is and has always been strong resentment against Paris throughout
France, but that's because France has always been strongly centralist. To
the extent that at one time, in every secondary school in France, students
on a particular day at a particular time would be studying from the same
page of the same book - 1968 put an end to that.

So the Burgundians hate being told what to do by anybody. Especially if it
exposes their nice little earners - adding a bit of Rhone wine in light
years - it used to be Algerian, but the Parisians threw Algeria away... and
so on. Not all Burgundians do that sort of thing, thank heavens, but I guess
there's enough of them to make it hard for the honest ones to take a strong
line of moral disapproval.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare