Eric Gurney

Default travelling with wine

My wife and I will be traveling from Ohio to Las Vegas for our anniversary
next month. We bought a bottle of wine on our honeymoon last year and
wanted to bring that with us. According to the Southwest website we can
bring wine on the plane. Are there any laws I need to worry about here, or
should I be ok doing this?

Thanks,
Eric Gurney

DaleW

You shouldn't have any problem with one bottle. Just don't try to
carry-on a corkscrew.

Eric Gurney

Thanks. I can check the corkscrew, correct?

"DaleW" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> You shouldn't have any problem with one bottle. Just don't try to
> carry-on a corkscrew.

You can put the corkscrew in a bag you then check. Sometimes, I mail a
corkscrew to my hotel just to be sure I'll have one.

Jose

> Sometimes, I mail a
> corkscrew to my hotel just to be sure I'll have one.

What hotel (worth staying at) doesn't have a corkscrew?

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no universe.

Good point. Then again, he is going to Las Vegas. Do they drink in that
city?

On 29-Aug-2005, "Eric Gurney" > wrote:

> Thanks. I can check the corkscrew, correct?
>
> "DaleW" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > You shouldn't have any problem with one bottle. Just don't try to
> > carry-on a corkscrew.

Actually, you can put a corkscrew in carry-on luggage. Check out the TSA
website for a list of prohibited/allowed items. I believe the website is
www.tsa.gov.

Gary
Hunt

In article >, o.
com says...

>My wife and I will be traveling from Ohio to Las Vegas for our anniversary
>next month. We bought a bottle of wine on our honeymoon last year and
>wanted to bring that with us. According to the Southwest website we can
>bring wine on the plane. Are there any laws I need to worry about here, or
>should I be ok doing this?
>
>Thanks,
>Eric Gurney

Eric,

As others have said, wine shouldn't be a problem in small, carry-on
quantities, so long as you don't open a bottle on the plane - chew through the
capsule and cork?

In pre-9-11 days, I'd take two styro-shippers empty to SF and fill them, then
check them as luggage. I have NOT done this since 9-11, but doubt there would
be a problem. When checked, I'd just declare them as wine.

As for the opener(s), I travel with three different models in my checked
luggage, plus a Vacu-vin pump and about six stoppers. This allows me to open
almost every type of bottle/cork. No problems, local, national, international,
as of last week. Now, that doesn't guarantee that next week I won't get called
out for having "dangerous weapons" in my checked luggage!

Only possible problem might be US state laws, i.e. Nevada, however, any state
that has legalized prostutition, should not flench at a few personal bottles
of wine. If you plan on taking them to a restaurant during your stay, do check
first as for corkage. Don't know about NV, but in AZ and, as I recently found
out, MS, state laws can preclude corkage, for ANY fee.

Enjoy,
Hunt

Jose

> In pre-9-11 days, I'd take two styro-shippers empty to SF and fill them, then
> check them as luggage. I have NOT done this since 9-11, but doubt there would
> be a problem. When checked, I'd just declare them as wine.

I still do that (though I skip the styro and just pack them in a regular
12 bottle cardboard wine box, and then put that (surrounded by a few
inches of wadded newspaper) into a bigger box (which I often have to
make or modify).

Works like a charm.

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no universe.
D. Gerasimatos

In article > ,
Jose > wrote:

>I still do that (though I skip the styro and just pack them in a regular
>12 bottle cardboard wine box, and then put that (surrounded by a few
>inches of wadded newspaper) into a bigger box (which I often have to
>make or modify).
>
>Works like a charm.

I had wine in cardboard boxes I took home to CA from CO. The airline
told me I had to take them as carry-on, but otherwise I had no problems.

Dimitri

Larry

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:00:17 -0400, "Eric Gurney"
> wrote:

>My wife and I will be traveling from Ohio to Las Vegas for our anniversary
>next month. We bought a bottle of wine on our honeymoon last year and
>wanted to bring that with us. According to the Southwest website we can
>bring wine on the plane. Are there any laws I need to worry about here, or
>should I be ok doing this?
>
>Thanks,
>Eric Gurney

I brought 3 bottles back from a trip from Nova Scotia to Ontario last
month in my carry on. They pulled out each botle to make sure it was
really wine and put the explosive "sniffer" to each bottle. Only in
Canada you say?!

Happy anniversary!
Ken Blake

In ,
> typed:

> On 29-Aug-2005, "Eric Gurney"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks. I can check the corkscrew, correct?
>>
>> "DaleW" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> You shouldn't have any problem with one bottle. Just don't
>>> try to
>>> carry-on a corkscrew.
>>>

> Actually, you can put a corkscrew in carry-on luggage. Check
> out the
> TSA website for a list of prohibited/allowed items. I believe
> the
> website is
www.tsa.gov.

I'm not sure what the offical rules are, but even if a corkscrew
is permitted, it's possible that an inspector might think it's
not and take it away from you. I had a corkscrew in my carry-on
luggage taken away from me a couple of years ago (the rules might
have changed since then, though).

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Steve Slatcher

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:11:16 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> wrote:

>In ,
> typed:

>> Actually, you can put a corkscrew in carry-on luggage. Check
>> out the
>> TSA website for a list of prohibited/allowed items. I believe
>> the
>> website is www.tsa.gov.

>I'm not sure what the offical rules are, but even if a corkscrew
>is permitted, it's possible that an inspector might think it's
>not and take it away from you. I had a corkscrew in my carry-on
>luggage taken away from me a couple of years ago (the rules might
>have changed since then, though).

And the TSA rules only apply to flights originating in the USA.

Bizarre really that you are allowed to take bottles onboard. A broken
bottle makes an excellent weapon.
--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

Mark Lipton

Ken Blake wrote:

> I'm not sure what the offical rules are, but even if a corkscrew
> is permitted, it's possible that an inspector might think it's
> not and take it away from you. I had a corkscrew in my carry-on
> luggage taken away from me a couple of years ago (the rules might
> have changed since then, though).

The rules *did* change a couple of years ago, Ken. But, I agree with
you that it's better safe than sorry, especially as you aren't permitted
to *use* the corkscrew on the plane.

Mark Lipton

Ken Blake

In ,
Steve Slatcher > typed:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:11:16 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> > wrote:
>
>> In ,
>> > typed:

>>> Actually, you can put a corkscrew in carry-on luggage. Check
>>> out the
>>> TSA website for a list of prohibited/allowed items. I
>>> believe
>>> the
>>> website is
www.tsa.gov.

>> I'm not sure what the offical rules are, but even if a
>> corkscrew
>> is permitted, it's possible that an inspector might think it's
>> not and take it away from you. I had a corkscrew in my
>> carry-on
>> luggage taken away from me a couple of years ago (the rules
>> might
>> have changed since then, though).

> And the TSA rules only apply to flights originating in the USA.
>
> Bizarre really that you are allowed to take bottles onboard. A
> broken
> bottle makes an excellent weapon.

I never thought of that, but that's an excellent point!

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In news:Ru3Re.317916$xm3.75009@attbi_s21,
Mark Lipton > typed:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what the offical rules are, but even if a
>> corkscrew
>> is permitted, it's possible that an inspector might think it's
>> not and take it away from you. I had a corkscrew in my
>> carry-on
>> luggage taken away from me a couple of years ago (the rules
>> might
>> have changed since then, though).

> The rules *did* change a couple of years ago, Ken. But, I
> agree with
> you that it's better safe than sorry, especially as you aren't
> permitted to *use* the corkscrew on the plane.

In my instance I wasn't very sorry . They wanted to take it and
give it back to me when the flight arrived, but rather than
bother collecting it, I told them just to keep it or throw it
away. It was a cheap waiter's corksrew--maybe worth $2-3.

Perhaps 25 years ago I read that it was permissable to bring your
own wine onto a plane, as long as you didn't serve yourself, but
asked the flight attendant to do it (the rules have probably
changed on this too). So I brought a bottle and carried a
corkscrew. Being a law-abiding citizen, when dinner was served, I
gave the bottle and the corkscrew to the flight attendant and
asked her to open it.

She gave it back to me, saying, in a disgusted tone of voice,
"open it yourself!"

So I did.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

D. Gerasimatos

In article >,
Steve Slatcher > wrote:

>And the TSA rules only apply to flights originating in the USA.
>
>Bizarre really that you are allowed to take bottles onboard. A broken
>bottle makes an excellent weapon.

What are they gonna do, forbid you to take rocks on board, too? I don't
think too many people are concerned about wine-bottle wielding terrorists.
They've got their forks from the in-flight meal!

Dimitri

Ken Blake

In ,
D. Gerasimatos > typed:

> In article >,
> Steve Slatcher > wrote:
>>
>> And the TSA rules only apply to flights originating in the
>> USA.
>>
>> Bizarre really that you are allowed to take bottles onboard.
>> broken bottle makes an excellent weapon.

> What are they gonna do, forbid you to take rocks on board, too?
> don't think too many people are concerned about wine-bottle
> wielding
> terrorists. They've got their forks from the in-flight meal!

There aren't many in-flight meals these days. And when there are,
the forks are plastic.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

D. Gerasimatos

In article >,
Ken Blake > wrote:

>There aren't many in-flight meals these days. And when there are,
>the forks are plastic.

They are not always plastic. In fact, some flights have metal knives
as well as metal forks. You have to sit in first class to get them, though.

Dimitri

Ken Blake

In ,
D. Gerasimatos > typed:

> In article >,
> Ken Blake > wrote:
>>
>> There aren't many in-flight meals these days. And when there
>> are,
>> the forks are plastic.

> They are not always plastic. In fact, some flights have metal
> knives
> as well as metal forks. You have to sit in first class to get
> them,
> though.

Thanks. It's been years since I've sat in first class, so I
hadn't realized that.

Then maybe they think that terrorists don't travel first-class.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

D. Gerasimatos

In article >, Hunt > wrote:

>I've flown First, and Business First on a dozen flights in the last 9 months,
>and on ALL, the dinnerware was plastic. Now, most of these were on United, and
>eight originated in the US, but I have not seen any metal utinsels in about
>two years. This, of course, doesn't mean that they are not there, but even in
>the front cabins, I have not seen them.

There are only certain airlines which provide it. I don't think United
is one of them. I saw a list on the Internet that listed:

Alaska, Air France, Lufthansa, Swiss, El Al, KLM, Northwest, Korean Air,
Singapore Airlines, Olympic, and Continental - among others.

Here's a photo for evidence:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danburgmurmur/634222

Dimitri

JEP62

Hunt wrote:
> Most of all, enjoy your honeymoon in Las Vegas. While that is not MY sort of
> town, I do get bribed about 4x/yr with the offer that I can choose all of the
> restaurants - so I go along, but only for the food, the wine, and a 1hr flight
> with my wife!

Really Honey, I only go to Vegas for the food and wine....

Andy

Eric Gurney

FYI. No problems what-so-ever. Not even a question asked. I did put the
corkscrew in my checked luggage; wine bottle and two glasses in carry on.

"Eric Gurney" > wrote in message
> My wife and I will be traveling from Ohio to Las Vegas for our anniversary
> next month. We bought a bottle of wine on our honeymoon last year and
> wanted to bring that with us. According to the Southwest website we can
> bring wine on the plane. Are there any laws I need to worry about here,
> or should I be ok doing this?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric Gurney

Travelling Cats (WAS: : The newest member of the Young household) jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 2 26-07-2012 01:06 PM
"While the more experienced wine drinkers might describe this wine asbeing too simple and not complex enough, millions of new wine drinkers aroundthe world love it and it does play an important role by bringing new winedrinkers into the market e [email protected] Wine 0 08-02-2009 03:49 AM
travelling to China/Tibet taopants Tea 1 17-09-2006 11:38 AM
a fine Australian wine merchant/buy Australian wine online - award winning wine bailey Wine 4 12-01-2005 03:32 PM
a fine Australian wine merchant/buy Australian wine online - award winning wine bailey Winemaking 0 12-01-2005 03:15 AM