Thijs Bonger

Default How tot treat a wine that is too cold

The thread about wine in the freezer reminded meof the following. If a red
wine is far too cold to be served immediately I sometimes put it in the sink
in lukewarm water for five minutes. Works perfectly. I can't imagine,
however, that I was the first to think of this method. Yet I've never
encountered it in one of my copious books on wine or Decanter etc. Any
comment?

Thijs Bonger

Hunt

In article >, notareal@address.
com says...

>On 23 Aug 2005 14:43:52 GMT, (Hunt) said:
>
>] In article >,

says
>] ...
>] >
>] >The thread about wine in the freezer reminded meof the following. If a red
>] >wine is far too cold to be served immediately I sometimes put it in the

sink
>] >in lukewarm water for five minutes. Works perfectly. I can't imagine,
>] >however, that I was the first to think of this method. Yet I've never
>] >encountered it in one of my copious books on wine or Decanter etc. Any
>] >comment?
>] >
>] >Thijs Bonger
>]
>] Thijs,
>]
>] I find (in the US), that the opposite is most often the case, with the reds
>] being too warm upon serving.
>]
>] Some advocate popping the too-cold red into the microwave, but I have not
>] tried it. At my place, I usually bring the reds (talking fuller bodied reds
>
>[]
>
>Hunt and Thijs,
>
>I have tried the microwave method. I believe the restaurant industry
>refers to this as grilling a wine. It works perfectly, at least for the
>inexpensive subjects of my experiments.
>
>A warm water bath works well too, and doesn't require decanting,
>but does need more time. My cellar here is too cold to let the job
>be done in 5 minutes.
>
>-E
>
>--
>Emery Davis
>You can reply to

>by removing the well known companies

Emery,

I think that many in this NG have use the "mike" for reds that are too cool,
and IIRC, all have given a PASS, i.e. good grade to the method. I have not
tried it, as I'm too busy placing wet poodles into mine - no, don't call PETA,
that is a crude anti-poodle joke.

Hunt

PS to quote loosely, an unknown source, "if I had to go into battle an charge
the enemy lines, I would want to do so with a thousand poodles, as the enemy
would certainly shoot the poodles first... "

TN: Cold wine in hot NY DaleW Wine 0 29-07-2015 07:38 PM
What wine with this tropical treat? cwdjrxyz Wine 1 21-05-2007 02:25 AM
Can cold wine go warm? Andrew Wine 24 21-02-2007 01:58 AM
Shipping wine when it's very cold [email protected] Wine 2 11-03-2006 09:08 PM
Red wine 'may treat lung disease' J. Harris Wine 0 28-10-2004 03:44 PM