DaleW

Default TN: Borsao, Touraine sparkler, Cap Faugeres, Fiano, etc

Friday dinner was cold poached salmon with a dill sauce; local
tomatoes topped with basil, Cashel Blue, anchovies,capers, and basil;
and a potato/anchovy salad. The wine was the 2002 Montesole Fiano di
Avellino. On first taste, the ripeness of the fruit was such that I
picked up bottle to reassure myself this wasn't a 2003- I eventually
found the 2002 on the back label in fairly small print. Intensely ripe
pear and apricot fruit. Not flabby, but not as acidic as the (few)
Fianos I've had in past. Some herbs and nuts on the finish. B/B-

Saturday we had dinner with friends on their backporch. Appetizer was
bruschetta , followed by a gazpacho course. The hosts offered Sangria
or Borsao, I choose the 2004 Borsao (Campo de Borja). As always,
excellent value for a $5-6 wine. Light in body, but with a good acidic
backbone and a bit of spice/pepper on the red cherry/raspberry fruit.
Fun easy drinking wine, good QPR. B

I had brought along a curiosity, the NV Orfeuilles Touraine Ros=E9. I
had liked the Orfeuilles sparkling Vouvray, decided to give this one a
try. Just a hint of sweetness, rather coarse mousse, dark cherry fruit.
A bit short and almost bitter on finish. This doesn't taste like Pinot
Noir to me- Cab Franc? So-so. B-

Main course was grilled swordfish with a lemon-butter sauce,
accompanied by grilled squash and a multi-colored (green & red cabbage,
corn, beans, red and green peppers) slaw Betsy had done. They served
the 2001 Jean-Paul Picard Sancerre. I wish they had gotten a more
current vintage from the replicator. Some gooseberry and grass, but
oxidative qualities were coming through. This bottle was a C+, but that
might be age/storage more than quality.

We stayed out on the porch as others had pie. We opened a 2001 Cap de
Faugeres (Cotes de Castillon). Excellent ripe modern Merlot, rich black
cherry and plum fruit accented with coffee and tobacco. There's some
classic Bordeaux earthiness, and a fine finish. Excellent value at $12
(or at the current $15). B+/A-

Good night with good friends.
=20
promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

DaleW

"This doesn't taste like Pinot
Noir to me- Cab Franc?"

I'm semi-reliably informed the Touraine is Cot aka Malbec. Oops.

[TN] Vacation wines (Campuget, GV, Borsao) Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 26-10-2009 05:05 PM
TN: '04 Borsao Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 9 04-12-2007 08:19 PM
TN Borsao, Roagna, Billaud-Simon- all relatively inexpensive DaleW Wine 1 22-06-2007 12:30 PM
TN: '01 Cap de Faugeres DaleW Wine 2 20-09-2005 12:43 AM
cap de Faugeres DaleW Wine 0 07-06-2005 06:53 PM