DaleW

Default TN: A very good CA Merlot,and an ok Moscato

Last night Betsy was getting back from city late, so I said I'd cook.
Actually there were plenty of leftovers in fridge for sides, so I
merely dealt with main course. A couple of (dry-aged, but choice)
ribeyes rubbed with coffee, cumin, and paprika, then grilled. Called
for a hearty wine, after lots of Bordeaux night before went California.
The 1999 Albini Family Merlot (Russian River Valley) was actually
REALLY nice, the best under-$30 California Merlot I've had in ages (ok
admittedly not the area I concentrate on). Nose of crushed berries with
a light chocolate overtone, rich red and black fruit on the palate.
Some earth and mint emerge with time, but both take a back seat to the
deep fruit. Bountiful but ripe tannins, just enough acidity to keep it
from falling into Kaspar Gutman territory. Clearly New World, but
playing to those strengths without overplaying. A-

Tonight Betsy made a salsa verde, slathered in on some halibut steaks,
and I grilled (on aluminum foil). I had worried re the salsa and had
opted for a lightly sweet lightly bubbling wine. Turns out the salsa
was near as hot nor as acidic (I think roasting the peppers and
tomatillas made a difference) as the salsa verde I make. A crisp dry
wine would have been fine. But the 2003 Marcarini Moscato d'Asti wasn't
bad, though a tad sweet without pepper heat to contend with. But decent
wine -who put peaches in my apple cider? Fun, easy, and simple, but for
$10 who wants more? I might pick up one or two more to match with
really spicy food on a hot day. A whopping 5% ABV. B

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Tom S

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Last night Betsy was getting back from city late, so I said I'd cook.
> Actually there were plenty of leftovers in fridge for sides, so I
> merely dealt with main course. A couple of (dry-aged, but choice)
> ribeyes rubbed with coffee, cumin, and paprika, then grilled.

Hi, Dale -

This is certainly a dumb question, but what form of coffee in the rub?
Freshly ground? Obviously I've never done this.

Tom S

Hunt

In article .com>,
says...

>Last night Betsy was getting back from city late, so I said I'd cook.
>Actually there were plenty of leftovers in fridge for sides, so I
>merely dealt with main course. A couple of (dry-aged, but choice)
>ribeyes rubbed with coffee, cumin, and paprika, then grilled. Called
>for a hearty wine, after lots of Bordeaux night before went California.
>The 1999 Albini Family Merlot (Russian River Valley) was actually
>REALLY nice, the best under-$30 California Merlot I've had in ages (ok
>admittedly not the area I concentrate on). Nose of crushed berries with
>a light chocolate overtone, rich red and black fruit on the palate.
>Some earth and mint emerge with time, but both take a back seat to the
>deep fruit. Bountiful but ripe tannins, just enough acidity to keep it
>from falling into Kaspar Gutman territory. Clearly New World, but
>playing to those strengths without overplaying. A-
>
>Tonight Betsy made a salsa verde, slathered in on some halibut steaks,
>and I grilled (on aluminum foil). I had worried re the salsa and had
>opted for a lightly sweet lightly bubbling wine. Turns out the salsa
>was near as hot nor as acidic (I think roasting the peppers and
>tomatillas made a difference) as the salsa verde I make. A crisp dry
>wine would have been fine. But the 2003 Marcarini Moscato d'Asti wasn't
>bad, though a tad sweet without pepper heat to contend with. But decent
>wine -who put peaches in my apple cider? Fun, easy, and simple, but for
>$10 who wants more? I might pick up one or two more to match with
>really spicy food on a hot day. A whopping 5% ABV. B
>

>Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
>wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
>drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
>promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Dale,

Thanks for the TNs. I'm not familiar with Albini Family, but will look it up.
I seem to have pretty bad fortune with CA Merlots, Duckhorn and Phelps, being
exceptions.

The steaks sound delish! I usually dust in a bit of cocoa powder, along with
the coffee. I have also learned that my new coffee grinder doesn't do espresso
grind fine enough - gotta' get the DeLongi fixed!!!! Now, I get Starbucks to
do a really fine espresso grind on a French roast (often decaf for my wife).

I agree about the Moscato d'Asti, for US$10, one cannot go too far wrong for a
sparkler.

Again, thanks,
Hunt

DaleW

Tom S wrote:
> Hi, Dale -
>
> This is certainly a dumb question, but what form of coffee in the

rub?
> Freshly ground? Obviously I've never done this.

Tom:
It's pretty simple,just mix some spices into some freshly group coffee.
I used a Columbian coffee, with ground cumin, sweet paprika, sea salt
and black pepper. It's doesn't really taste like coffee, but the crust
gives it a smokey edge. I think I fixed for Ian and Jacquie when they
were in NY.

DaleW

Tom S wrote:
> Hi, Dale -
>
> This is certainly a dumb question, but what form of coffee in the

rub?
> Freshly ground? Obviously I've never done this.

Tom:
It's pretty simple,just mix some spices into some freshly group coffee.
I used a Columbian coffee, with ground cumin, sweet paprika, sea salt
and black pepper. It's doesn't really taste like coffee, but the crust
gives it a smokey edge. I think I fixed for Ian and Jacquie when they
were in NY.

DaleW

"I seem to have pretty bad fortune with CA Merlots,"

Me too, that's why this was so notable!

DaleW

"I seem to have pretty bad fortune with CA Merlots,"

Me too, that's why this was so notable!

Bi!!

> Thanks for the TNs. I'm not familiar with Albini Family, but will

look it up.
> I seem to have pretty bad fortune with CA Merlots, Duckhorn and

Phelps, being
> exceptions.
>
> The steaks sound delish! I usually dust in a bit of cocoa powder,

along with
> the coffee. I have also learned that my new coffee grinder doesn't do

espresso
> grind fine enough - gotta' get the DeLongi fixed!!!! Now, I get

Starbucks to
> do a really fine espresso grind on a French roast (often decaf for my

wife).

> I agree about the Moscato d'Asti, for US$10, one cannot go too far

wrong for a
> sparkler.
>
> Again, thanks,
> Hunt

I've been to Albini WInery (it's just a small building on their
propery. They only make 500 cases of wine a year so it can be a
challenge to find. I was there with a friend who knows the family so
they opened a couple of ultra-low release Zin(I think they said 50
cases) which was really terrific.

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi DaleW,

le/on 29 Apr 2005 07:27:41 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

>> This is certainly a dumb question, but what form of coffee in the

>rub?
>> Freshly ground? Obviously I've never done this.
>>

>Tom:
>It's pretty simple,just mix some spices into some freshly group coffee.
>I used a Columbian coffee, with ground cumin, sweet paprika, sea salt
>and black pepper. It's doesn't really taste like coffee, but the crust
>gives it a smokey edge. I think I fixed for Ian and Jacquie when they
>were in NY.

you did, and it was amazing! I'm afraid I've been more or less lurking these
last few weeks, (converting my website to HTML 4.01 and CSS, not that you'll
want to know) and so I didn't comment earlier.

The only tiny criticism I'd have was over the texture of the grounds still
sticking to the meat. They are a touch gritty, don't you agree?

But the flavour... wow!

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi DaleW,

le/on 29 Apr 2005 07:27:41 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

>> This is certainly a dumb question, but what form of coffee in the

>rub?
>> Freshly ground? Obviously I've never done this.
>>

>Tom:
>It's pretty simple,just mix some spices into some freshly group coffee.
>I used a Columbian coffee, with ground cumin, sweet paprika, sea salt
>and black pepper. It's doesn't really taste like coffee, but the crust
>gives it a smokey edge. I think I fixed for Ian and Jacquie when they
>were in NY.

you did, and it was amazing! I'm afraid I've been more or less lurking these
last few weeks, (converting my website to HTML 4.01 and CSS, not that you'll
want to know) and so I didn't comment earlier.

The only tiny criticism I'd have was over the texture of the grounds still
sticking to the meat. They are a touch gritty, don't you agree?

But the flavour... wow!

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com

Anders Tørneskog

"Ian Hoare" > skrev i melding
> Salut/Hi DaleW,
>

> you did, and it was amazing! I'm afraid I've been more or less lurking
> these
> last few weeks, (converting my website to HTML 4.01 and CSS, not that
> you'll
> want to know) and so I didn't comment earlier.

Hi Ian
I had a peep at your 'new' website and found the following, on your terms:
"French francs, pounds sterling or US dollars are all accepted"
You would really accept my old FF?

:-) Anders

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Anders Tørneskog,

le/on Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:54:16 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>"Ian Hoare" > skrev i melding
.. .
>> Salut/Hi DaleW,
>>

>> you did, and it was amazing! I'm afraid I've been more or less lurking
>> these
>> last few weeks, (converting my website to HTML 4.01 and CSS, not that
>> you'll
>> want to know) and so I didn't comment earlier.
>>

>Hi Ian
>I had a peep at your 'new' website and found the following, on your terms:
>"French francs, pounds sterling or US dollars are all accepted"
>You would really accept my old FF?

S******! You didn't find my new website, because I've not yet uploaded it.
I've done the mirror, however. at http://ianhoare.free.fr/souvigne

I guess you'll just have to see if you can find mistakes there! Jacquie
couldn't, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

My sub has just changed, (unlimited online time) and so I think I'll
probably be uploading everything to my main site in a day or two.

Finally, I'll be delighted to accept your old french franc notes. Just pop
them in the post to me ;-))
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Anders Tørneskog,

le/on Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:54:16 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>"Ian Hoare" > skrev i melding
.. .
>> Salut/Hi DaleW,
>>

>> you did, and it was amazing! I'm afraid I've been more or less lurking
>> these
>> last few weeks, (converting my website to HTML 4.01 and CSS, not that
>> you'll
>> want to know) and so I didn't comment earlier.
>>

>Hi Ian
>I had a peep at your 'new' website and found the following, on your terms:
>"French francs, pounds sterling or US dollars are all accepted"
>You would really accept my old FF?

S******! You didn't find my new website, because I've not yet uploaded it.
I've done the mirror, however. at http://ianhoare.free.fr/souvigne

I guess you'll just have to see if you can find mistakes there! Jacquie
couldn't, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

My sub has just changed, (unlimited online time) and so I think I'll
probably be uploading everything to my main site in a day or two.

Finally, I'll be delighted to accept your old french franc notes. Just pop
them in the post to me ;-))
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
Mark Lipton

DaleW wrote:
> Bountiful but ripe tannins, just enough acidity to keep it
> from falling into Kaspar Gutman territory. Clearly New World, but
> playing to those strengths without overplaying. A-

Sorry to be slow on the uptake, Dale, but what exactly does "The Maltese
Falcon" have to do with this wine? Is that a backhand reference to "fat"??

Mark Lipton
DaleW

"The only tiny criticism I'd have was over the texture of the grounds
still
sticking to the meat. They are a touch gritty, don't you agree? "

I've been experimenting with that. I've tried using a very fine grind,
which lessens the effect. But last couple times I've used a coarser
grind, but "wiped" the meat with the back of a table knife. You'd think
that would cost flavor, but the meat seems to have absorbed the flavor,
and the texture is better.

DaleW

Exactly, this wine hinted at being a Fat Man, but the acidity kept it
from obesity. Sorry for the obscurity.

DaleW

Exactly, this wine hinted at being a Fat Man, but the acidity kept it
from obesity. Sorry for the obscurity.

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi DaleW,

le/on 1 May 2005 12:09:19 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

>"The only tiny criticism I'd have was over the texture of the grounds
>still
>sticking to the meat. They are a touch gritty, don't you agree? "

>I've been experimenting with that. I've tried using a very fine grind,
>which lessens the effect. But last couple times I've used a coarser
>grind, but "wiped" the meat with the back of a table knife. You'd think
>that would cost flavor, but the meat seems to have absorbed the flavor,
>and the texture is better.

I do a similar thing with my magrets au gros sel. I sprinkle the meat side
VERY liberally with coarsely ground black pepper a couple of hours before
cooking, and then just before covering them with the salt, I scrape it all
off. Very successful technique. However, I'd have thought that with the
coffee rubbed steak, the grounds act as protection to some extent, or don't
you feel it's needed? Sort of like blackened fish.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Hi again Anders Tørneskog,

le/on Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:54:16 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>I had a peep at your 'new' website

You can try again, if you like. I spent a tiring day uploading the lot!
whew.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Hunt

In article >, ianhoare@angelfire.
com says...

>Salut/Hi DaleW,
>
> le/on 29 Apr 2005 07:27:41 -0700, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>> This is certainly a dumb question, but what form of coffee in the

>>rub?
>>> Freshly ground? Obviously I've never done this.
>>>

>>Tom:
>>It's pretty simple,just mix some spices into some freshly group coffee.
>>I used a Columbian coffee, with ground cumin, sweet paprika, sea salt
>>and black pepper. It's doesn't really taste like coffee, but the crust
>>gives it a smokey edge. I think I fixed for Ian and Jacquie when they
>>were in NY.

>you did, and it was amazing! I'm afraid I've been more or less lurking these
>last few weeks, (converting my website to HTML 4.01 and CSS, not that you'll
>want to know) and so I didn't comment earlier.
>
>The only tiny criticism I'd have was over the texture of the grounds still
>sticking to the meat. They are a touch gritty, don't you agree?
>
>But the flavour... wow!
>
>--
>All the Best
>Ian Hoare
>http://www.souvigne.com

That has been my experience, since my DeLongi grinder died. It would reduce
the coffee to a cocoa powder consistancy, and now I have to get Starbucks to
do this for me. With the right espresso grind, there should be no grit.

Hunt

DaleW

Well, in this case, on a really hot grill I think the grounds actually
seem to burn, and so there's a crust on the meat underneath. I don't
really work off the bits that are really stuck, just the looser ones. I
think next time I'll go with Hunt's plan, and ask a coffee merchant to
give me the finest grind possible (and save the coffee just for this
recipe).Before I was using a home grinder.