CabFan

Default Older Amarone's

Anyone have any information on which Amarone's are going to do best for
long-term aging? I had a 1972 Amarone (can't remember the producer) about 2
years ago and thought it was outstanding. I currently have a hodge-podge of
Amarones from 1993, 1995 and 1997 and from different producers such as
Tommasi, Allegrini, and Masi.

From my tasting experience, I'm betting on the Allegrini to be the longest
lived but some of the Tommasi's might stay in the race.

Cheers,
Gary

Is this some sort of contest? Who cares? Enjoy them now. It's winter!

Joe Rosenberg

As producers all three are pretty good, not Quintarelli or Da Forno but I
think the 93 should be drunk first, 93's I've had 2-3 years ago were
beginning to go into gentle declines. Masi & Allegrini have special cru's,
if you have one of those you have 2-5 more years. Most veronese producers
bottle their normale from various sites and their special cru's from single
vineyards, which are usually more tannic and so mature later. IMHO
California use of single vineyard designations are often a rip off and an
excuse to charge $5-15 more a bottle for grapes the cost the same as a
regular bottling.

As to uraniums comment, Gary's post is just what we are here for, to
communicate about wine. We all can't help it planet-boy, if all you have in
your cellar is three different vintages of Stugotz's White Grenache.

In great years an amarone can make 30 years easily.

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Is this some sort of contest? Who cares? Enjoy them now. It's winter!

Cwdjrx _

Some Amarone wines can last a very long time. I have tasted some from
Bertani made in the 60s that still were holding well within the last 2
years. The Chicago Wine Company auctioned many bottles from the 60s and
provided a preaucton tasting of them several years ago. They apparently
had no trouble selling them. Bertani made very traditional Anarone then
that often was capable of very long age. However many wines from around
the world are now made in a lighter style more suited for early
drinking. In Hugh Johnson's 2005 Pocket Wine Book, he lists Amarone
wines back to 1985 that are drinking well now. This is just a general
evauation and does not consider different brands. In the past, Amarone
wines that lasted a long time often were very dark in color when young,
had very concentrated fruit, had much acid, and had much tannin that
tended to be a bit harsh. With enough age the fruit still held and was
enriched by bottle bouquet that developed. The acid and tannins
softened, and the wine became smooth. On the other hand a wine with a
lot of harsh tannin and moderate fruit often can just lose fruit and dry
out with extended age - it sometimes can be a tough call to predict just
how these big wines will age. Of the wines you mentioned, I would bet on
the Allegrini, but without tasting the specific wines you mentioned,
that is just a wild guess. Wines do not always age in the way that even
the experts predict. I always liked to select several wines that might
turn out good rather than try to find the single "best" wine and buy
only that. I find a variety interesting. While being served Beluga
caviar, Wagyu beef, foie gras and Romanee-Conti every day might seem
like heaven, I think nearly everyone would be demanding a variety of
other food in a very short time.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

"As to uranium's comment, Gary's post is just what we are here for, to
communicate about wine. We all can't help it planet-boy, if all you
have in
your cellar is three different vintages of Stugotz's White Grenache.

In great years an amarone can make 30 years easily."

So what?

My point is that the wines should be drunk soon, rather than waiting to
see how long they can be held. Amarones don't necessarily get better
with extreme age.

I happen to have some Briccho Rocche and Giacomo Bologna Barbera in my
cellar, thank you very much.

"My Amarone can be drunk later than your Amarone!"

That must make you a 'Real Man'!

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen, tonight's card shapes up to be a
real battle.

In the red corner, wearing red trunks, is 1976 Allegrini Amarone,
wighing in at 14% alcohol.

His opponent, wearing white trunks, is 1976 Masi Amarone.
Tonight's contest will be 12 rounds.

Give me a break.

Ron Lel

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> "My Amarone can be drunk later than your Amarone!"
>
> That must make you a 'Real Man'!
>
> Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen, tonight's card shapes up to be a
> real battle.
>
> In the red corner, wearing red trunks, is 1976 Allegrini Amarone,
> wighing in at 14% alcohol.
>
> His opponent, wearing white trunks, is 1976 Masi Amarone.
> Tonight's contest will be 12 rounds.
>
> Give me a break.

I guess that all of these wines need a lot of breathing?

Ron Lel
(Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

"I guess that all of these wines need a lot of breathing?"
Well, they do get winded....

In between rounds....

Amarone-style kit Brian Lundeen Winemaking 2 20-07-2005 06:25 AM
Amarone Question Dan Bellan Wine 19 24-03-2005 02:31 AM
TN Campagnolo Amarone Ed Rasimus Wine 0 15-02-2004 05:34 PM
$10 Amarone Tom S Wine 2 05-02-2004 04:18 AM
Amarone Wines bijoudog Wine 8 22-01-2004 01:20 PM