Peter Muto

Default Kurt Angerer, Wachau (producer)

Hi

I guess this is kind of a question for Michael Pronay but has anyone
heard of the producer Kurt Angerer?
If so, what are his wines like?
I've read Michael's extremely positive comments on FX Pichler but here
in Ontario, I've never seen his wines. Just those sweet Kracher wines
as far as really high end Austrian wine. I'm looking to add a little
Austria to my cellar, especially some GV's that can age.
When I went to the Austrian Trade tasting, I remember having some
really stellar wines but my jaw dropped everytime they told me how
much it would cost approximately in Canadian dollars.

The below wines are available ($CAD)
2003 Eichenstaude Gruner Veltliner, Wachau $27.70
2003 Donatus Riesling, Wachau $32.33

Thanks

Peter Muto

Hi Peter,
I have certainly heard of Kurt Angerer, and the things I have heard are
positive, but I have not nearly tasted through the wines. I can tell
you that in the 2005 Wine Report (ed. Tom Stevenson), Dr. Philip Blom
is quite high on this producer.
As far as expanding: if you are looking to try a high-end dessert wine
other than Kracher, Feiler-Artinger is generally available worldwide.
Their Ruster Ausbruch wines are excellent.
For Gr=FCner Veltliner see if you can find wines from H=F6gl. His winery
is located in the Wachau region. His name is listed alongside those of
Pichler, Prager, Knoll et. al. in the latest round of wine guides from
Oz Clarke and others. As H=F6gl's wines are not yet as well known as the
superstars, the prices tend to be better. H=F6gl himself is highly
recommending his 2003 Stammliegenschaften Schon-Viessling GV Smaragd.
Hope this helps,
Emily
___________
www.winemonger.com

Michael Pronay

[subject adjusted]

(Peter Muto) wrote:

> I guess this is kind of a question for Michael Pronay but has
> anyone heard of the producer Kurt Angerer?

I guess so.

> If so, what are his wines like?

Full-bodied, very minerally, broad-shouldered - a little like the
man himself:

<http://www.wein-plus.de/guide/Weingut+Kurt+Angerer_10007.html>

There you can click on his homepage:

<http://www.kurt-angerer.at/>

You even have an English version - which still is rare over here
(although I woudn't bet on the quality of the translation ;-)

> [...]
>
> The below wines are available ($CAD)
> 2003 Eichenstaude Gruner Veltliner, Wachau $27.70
> 2003 Donatus Riesling, Wachau $32.33

Caution, I don't know where the lapse occurred, but Kurt Angerer
definitely is not Wachau, but Kremstal.

I tasted the Eichenstaude blind in June (among some other 1400
Austria wines) and quite liked it:

| Discrete nose, with a certain frehness behind; juicy, fruity
| grip, clean and clear, very animating and drink-friendly, 90.

The riesling fared much less good:

| Soft riesling nose with caramel notes; very soft in texture,
| broad and soft, the wine lacks bite, 84.

I don't know whether we had an off bottle (showing premature random
oxidation, a cork taint) or whether the wine is not up to Angerer's
usual level.

For those speaking German, 999 of the 1400 wines are listed here
with tasting notes:

<www.alacarte.at>

M.

Thanks for the response. I'll have to try the GV and keep on looking
for the other names you mentioned.

Peter