Old 03-01-2019, 12:13 AM posted to alt.food.wine

Default Pronunciation Question

My entire wine drinking life (25+ years) I have always pronounced the
"ja" at the end of Rioja and Verdejo as "ho." However, in the most
recent episode of The Wine Show, Joe Fattorini et al pronounced the
final syllable as "ko." Have I been making a mistake all these years?
Or were they using a regional Spanish dialect?

Btw, I highly recommend TWS. There have been two seasons so far
broadcast on Ovation TV. Each episode has just the right mix of
seriousness and levity. I've learned a lot and gained many useful
insights while thoroughly enjoying myself along the way.

Cheers,
Jack

Old 03-01-2019, 12:44 AM posted to alt.food.wine

On 2019-01-02 4:13 p.m., cruciverbalist wrote:
My entire wine drinking life (25+ years) I have always pronounced the
"ja" at the end of Rioja and Verdejo as "ho." However, in the most
recent episode of The Wine Show, Joe Fattorini et al pronounced the
final syllable as "ko." Have I been making a mistake all these years?
Or were they using a regional Spanish dialect?

Btw, I highly recommend TWS. There have been two seasons so far
broadcast on Ovation TV. Each episode has just the right mix of
seriousness and levity. I've learned a lot and gained many useful
insights while thoroughly enjoying myself along the way.

Cheers,
Jack

Google is your friend, however, here are 4:
https://forvo.com/word/rioja/

Old 05-01-2019, 03:57 AM posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 6:13:25 PM UTC-5, cruciverbalist wrote:
My entire wine drinking life (25+ years) I have always pronounced the
"ja" at the end of Rioja and Verdejo as "ho." However, in the most
recent episode of The Wine Show, Joe Fattorini et al pronounced the
final syllable as "ko." Have I been making a mistake all these years?
Or were they using a regional Spanish dialect?

Hmmm, I've always pronounced Rioja "ree oh ha" and Verdejo "Veer day ho" but no confidence that is correct. But have definitely been to dinners with several Rioja producers without noticing any dramatically difference pronunciations (though certainly I can't replicate their pronunciations!)
Old 06-01-2019, 04:11 PM posted to alt.food.wine

In message ,
DaleW writes
On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 6:13:25 PM UTC-5, cruciverbalist wrote:
My entire wine drinking life (25+ years) I have always pronounced the
"ja" at the end of Rioja and Verdejo as "ho." However, in the most
recent episode of The Wine Show, Joe Fattorini et al pronounced the
final syllable as "ko." Have I been making a mistake all these years?
Or were they using a regional Spanish dialect?

Hmmm, I've always pronounced Rioja "ree oh ha" and Verdejo "Veer day
ho" but no confidence that is correct. But have definitely been to
dinners with several Rioja producers without noticing any dramatically
difference pronunciations (though certainly I can't replicate their
pronunciations!)

As in English, pronunciations can vary. The Spanish j sound is normally
slightly more guttural than a normal h in English, but certainly not a
k. If you are saying 'ree oh ha' your r is probably farther from a
Spanish r than your h is from the j. I think anyone would know what you
mean.

--
---
Sheila Page
Old 06-01-2019, 06:52 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 2019-01-06 8:11 a.m., Sheila Page wrote:
In message ,
DaleW writes
[...]

But isn't a short "o" as in "not", not the long one as in "oh"?

Old 06-01-2019, 08:09 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 2019-01-06 8:11 a.m., Sheila Page wrote:
In message ,
DaleW writes
[...]

But isn't it.........
Old 06-01-2019, 11:04 PM posted to alt.food.wine

In message , graham
writes
On 2019-01-06 8:11 a.m., Sheila Page wrote:
In message ,
DaleW writes
[...]

Yes, and not veer but verre, like a French glass, and the d sound is
slightly different.....
But the question was about j.

--
---
Sheila Page
Old 07-01-2019, 07:44 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 10:15:01 AM UTC-5, Sheila Page wrote:

As in English, pronunciations can vary. The Spanish j sound is normally
slightly more guttural than a normal h in English, but certainly not a
k. If you are saying 'ree oh ha' your r is probably farther from a
Spanish r than your h is from the j. I think anyone would know what you
mean.

Yes, that's what I meant about replicating, the R sound is not something I can accurately replicate (kind of like the sibilant C in Mencia, not really a sound I am used to making).

re pronunciation Ray Asian Cooking 0 28-10-2007 12:56 PM
re pronunciation Ray Asian Cooking 0 28-10-2007 12:51 PM
re pronunciation Ray Asian Cooking 0 28-10-2007 12:36 PM
OT - Pronunciation PENMART01 General Cooking 0 02-12-2004 06:33 PM
pronunciation question Doris Winter General Cooking 16 17-10-2003 08:25 AM