Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Weekend wines from Austria, FR, US, IT, DE

Since we had extra leaf in table, we thought we'd invite friends for Friday dinner. But first couple we called turned the tables and convinced us to join them. Lovely evening, so we walked over the hill and had a nice dinner on their deck. Started with baba ganoush and grape tomatoes stuffed with pesto. Starter was the NV Durnberg Sparkling rose (he said Australian when he handed me glass, but Austrian). Hint of sweetness, light and soft. B-/C+

Dinner was grilled tuna, couscous/arugula salad, Betsy's bok choy, Ron's bok choy, and a grain salad:

2012 Veyder-Malberg " Hochrain" Gruner Veltliner
New producer to me, but will keep on my radar, serious GV here. Ripe peach, peas, pepper. Classic, minerally and long. A-

2004 Hermitage Bandol
A little rubbery at first, black fruits,big, some tannin. B-

On Saturday we were more successful at getting 2 couples over. Started with some snacks and the 2002 Delamotte Blanc de Blanc Champagne. Green apple, firm pear, stones. B/B+

First sitdown course was some local grilled mackerel (saba shioyaki)
style) and grilled ramps

1991 Stony Hill Chardonnay
Softer, but not really oxidative, broad pear and apple fruit, some apple blossoms. Not profound but nice ripe mature CalChard. B

2009 Rebholz "Muschelkalk" Weissburgunder Trocken 'S'
Vague sweetness, really ripe pear, light chalky note. Gets sweeter. B-

Dinner was chicken paprikash, whole wheat noodles, carrots, and salad

1979 Produttori del Barbaresco
Tight, tart, and funky when opened, but luckily gave couple hours air. By then cherry, black cherry, forest floor, tar. Better and better throughout night, great showing by end. B+/A-

1994 Pichon Lalande
More 1994 than Pichon Lalande. Still some rather hard/raspy tannins. Black currant, tobacco leaf, stern. B-

2009 Copain "Baker Ranch" Syrah
No air time. Meaty note on nose, big black fruit with coffee and soil notes.. Fresh and long. A-

Sunday just us, grilled pork chops, squash, broccoli rabe, tabbouleh, and the 2014 Baudry Chinon rose. Still holding well - cherries and strawberry with some herby notes, look forward to the '15. B+/B
..

TN: Wines from all over (well at least US, Austria, Italy, Spain,and France) DaleW Wine 0 05-06-2012 02:58 PM
TN: week's wines from all over-well, just France and Austria DaleW Wine 1 16-11-2010 05:05 AM
TN Older wines from Germany, Austria, France, and California cwdjrxyz Wine 2 30-05-2009 08:17 PM
weekend wines Emery Davis Wine 0 29-09-2004 02:45 PM
Austria and Prague...Wines? geotek Wine 4 22-04-2004 10:55 PM