Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2009 Ferrari Perlé

This new year I had the best "Champagne" I ever had:

2009 Ferrari Perlé ****(*)

It is said that this is made like a champagne (blanc de blancs), not as a spumante.
5 years aging with yeast. Epiphany! so this is how "champagne" can be? Best sparkling wine I ever had. It has some body. While a bit brighter yellow than my previous favorite Henriot, it has a lot more flavor. Rustique bread, yeast, lush peach fruit, heavy marzipan, and alluring presence in the finish. I paid 22Euro for it in Italy. In Denmark it is 36 though, which is still cheaper than basic moet chandon, ruinart and deutz.

Now Im curious about Ferrari riserva (8years on lies) and founders edition (11 years on lies). Anyone tried them?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 3/4/16 11:17 AM, Hamlet wrote:

> Asti spumante is generally produced through the Charmat method
> (secondary fermentation in tank) rather than methode champenoise
> (secondary fermnentation in bottle)
>
> ok, so he was speaking about the method, not about the style
> in Italy there is a tradition of over a century of spumante made with
> method champenoise (in Italy is it called "metodo classico"), so there
> is no need to use Charmat method, specially if you want to make a high
> profile spumante. And Ferrari makes only spumante with champenoise method.

The problem here I think is that, while spumante refers to a degree of
carbonation, most here in US (and elsewhere) think of cheap Asti
spumante that is found everywhere and use spumante as shorthand for
those wines (better, perhaps, than using the good name of Asti for them!).

Mark Lipton