Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Christmas week wines

No wines Monday. Tuesday some friends came over, opener was smoked salmon (with tapenade or creme fraiche/trout roe). Ron brought the NV Gimonnet Blanc de Blanc. Crisp, easy, dry, not especially complex but nice accompaniment. B

Main was a bouillabaisse(shrimp, scallop, clam, fish) and salad (with fennel, an anise-y meal)

2014 Baudry Chinon Rose
Broad enough to handle the stew, crunchy red fruit, herby. B+/B

2007 Masi Amarone (375 ml)
Not exactly a fish stew wine, but one guest prefers red, so served leftover Ducroux gamay and this as it was first half I ran across. Rich, kirsch and cassis, herb & fruitcake, ready to go. B

2010 Calera Viognier Doux (35th Anniversary) (375)
Ripe nectarine, minty herbs, a touch hot and a bit soft. B-

Wednesday we flew to Atlanta. My mom recently moved to an "independent living" facility, and wanted us to try dining room. Several dining choices (I went with baked fish, squash, onion soup) and wine choices of Merlot, Chardonnay, White Zinfandel, and Arbor Mist. OK, Chardonnay was as expected, C/C+

Christmas Eve we went to my brother's, where they had several families over for a party. Assortment of casual adult and kid foods (shrimp, ham, chili, salad, chicken fingers, crudites, dips, cheese breads, etc)

2012 Kistler Hyde Chardonnay
There's certainly oak here, but there's plenty of fruit and a decent acidic backbone. I liked this more than most big CalChards. B/B+

2012 Occidental "Bodega Headlands Cuvee Elizabeth" Pinot Noir
New producer to me. Big big style of PN, brawny, heady, and fruit forward. Quite popular but not my style. B-/C+

Back to brother's Christmas Day for lunch. Turkey, dressing, ham, rolls, salad, mashed potatoes, root vegetables, smoked duck, green beans, etc.

1996 Meyney
Mature, black and red fruits, a little tobacco. Medium bodied, pleasant enough, but without the vigor and depth of the Meyneys from the 80s. B/B-

That evening back at mom's we had leftovers. Opened the 2015 Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc
A bit on sweet side, grapefruit and a touch of tropical fruit, moderate acids - could use just a bit more. B-

Not a stellar wine week but good to spend holidays with family.

TN: Christmas week wines DaleW Wine 1 30-12-2013 05:50 PM
TN: a week or so of wines DaleW Wine 0 19-11-2013 07:18 PM
TN: a week of wines (most I liked) from all over DaleW Wine 3 30-03-2013 10:01 PM
TN: Week of wines (DE, FR, AT, US) DaleW Wine 0 12-09-2012 01:37 PM