Posted to alt.food.wine

Default tn: Week where I prefer a Finger Lakes CF to assorted French wines!

A friend stopped by to pick up some wines and we tried the 2009 Peter Lauer Sekt Brut. I've liked older Lauer bubbles, but didn't care for this much. There's a bitter edge despite some sweetness that makes it clear there's some dosage, it's citrusy but like someone went too deep zesting and just got pith. C+/B-

A gift of a satellite Bordeaux didn't ring my bells, either. The 2010 Chateau Puybarbe Cotes de Bourg was plummy and hot (14.5, I would have guessed at least 15). Rounder style with some cocoa, but too ripe and hot. C+

With swordfish, zucchini, & okra, the 2014 Gonnet Altesse Roussette de Savoie. Full, some oily and floral notes, tasty and interesting but think I'd give edge to their less expensive Chignin as a dinner companion. B/B-

With takeout chicken, eggplant with peanut sauce, grilled tomato, & grilled leek, the 2012
Eminence Road Elizabeth's Vineyard Cabernet Franc. Finger Lakes grapes, winery in Catskills. Very herby, with some forest floor aromas, nice crunchy red fruits. Good acids, nice finish. On day 2 a bit more rounded. I like and am happy to have a couple more. B+

Saturday I just had leftovers (chicken etc) with the 2013 Foillard Morgon. I usually buy the Cote du Py and the Corcelette, not sure I've ever had the straight Morgon before. Bright red fruits, good acids, but a bit one-dimensional. Good but I'd rather pay a few more dollars for the CdP. B

Sunday was long day, running a picnic/softball game for 75 or so of our homeless friends, but on way home I decided to invite a friend to dinner. After unloading supplies I nipped by some absent friends's garden to pick some beans (by invitation), and made a dinner salad of local corn, beans, & peppers topped with smoked trout, with tomato/feta/basil salad and leftover eggplant

2012 Ch. de Lacarelle "Cuvee Grande Reserve" Beaujolais blanc
I guess JP Brun has spoiled me for Beaujolais Blanc. This is light, dilute and grassy, tastes more like overcropped SB than Chardonnay. C+

2007 Ch. de l'Oiseliniere " les Grands Gats" Muscadet
Mature, rather rounded for Muscadet, with apple, lemon, and nuts. B/B-

Monday I made a mozzarella, pepper, tomato and basil pizza, with the 2014 La Tour Boisee Minervois Rose. Very light, sweet strawberry/rhubarb pie fruit, could use a bit more oomph. B-