Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Champagne with red and white Burgundies

Last night our supposed Bordeaux group met at La Mangeoire for a night of Champagne and Burgundy. After a frantic day it was nice to walk in and be greeted with the 1996 Vilmart Champagne. Big, full, pleasing apple meets lemon curd fruit, crisp and biscuity. B+/A-

2012 Gouges Nuits St George blanc
Pears, wax, a little hot on finish but fun to try. B

2007 C. Moreau "Les Clos" Chablis GC
This was very cold on serving, but the cold masked the oxidative notes. As it warmed they peeked through. This isn't shot, but it is advanced. This wasn't mine, but I have a couple left from a case. first 8 were great (except one corked), then 1 premoxed this past winter, then one more very good one.. I should drink last couple soon. B-

Nicely garlicky escargots to start

1996 Henriot Brut Champagne.
I liked this more than some. Rising dough, citrus, pear. Good length, full. B/B+

Somewhere in here we had a midcourse of sea bass with peas
2004 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne
Brilliant young BdB. White fruits, brioche, chalk, very fresh and very long.. This has long future but is damned tasty now. A-

2004 Philippe Gonet Champagne Cuvée Belemnita Blanc de Blancs
Others liked more than me, I thought nice flavors but a little clumsy, but of course I was comparing to the Comtes. B

We did a votes, Vilmart edged Comtes for group favorite.

I was thinking rabbit as previous night I had ordered at a bistro before being told they were out, but the bunny was in a tomato sauce, not something that thrills me for red burgs, so went with chicken instead- actually everyone did- we split 3 chickens with fries and salad

1995 Bertheau "Les Charmes" Chambolle-Musigny 1er
This was strange, some thought corked, others thought volatile, I didn't get TCA but did get some VA, but more troublesome was a little lemon pledge note. Actually cleaned up a bit, better at end but still not great. Off bottle? B-

1999 Drouhin Chambolle-Musigny 1er
This seemed a bit muddled, had been bounced around for couple days (not wine I intended to bring) some good black cherry fruit and distinct barnyard funk, but needs more precision. B/B+

2000 Jadot "Clos St Jacques" Gevrey-Chambertin 1er
Tight, needs time, big and brawny. B

2000 Dujac Charmes Chambertin
Spicy wood, sandalwood and black cherry, smoky. Needs time. B+

2000 Clos de Tart
Most a pointe wine this night. Red fruit, cocoa, spice. Lovely and my favorite red of the night. A-/B+

2006 Bouchard Caillerets Cuvee Carnot" Volnay 1er
Others liked more than I, very ripe but with green tannins and some overty oak. C+

2002 Chevillon "Les Vaucrains" Nuits St George 1er
Young but pretty open and friendly, black plum and cherry, earth. B+/A-

2001 Grivot "Suchots" Vosne-Romanee 1er
Lovely, elegant, delicious. B+/A-

We did our usual 3-2-1 votes, Clos de Tart had commanding lead (26), followed by Grivot (17) Dujac (12),. Chevillon (5) and Bouchard & Drouhin (1 each). Fun night, good food, great people

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, August 20, 2015 at 11:25:35 AM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
> [...]
>
> 2006 Bouchard Caillerets Cuvee Carnot" Volnay 1er
> Others liked more than I, very ripe but with green tannins and some overty oak. C+
>
> 2002 Chevillon "Les Vaucrains" Nuits St George 1er
> Young but pretty open and friendly, black plum and cherry, earth. B+/A-
>
> 2001 Grivot "Suchots" Vosne-Romanee 1er
> Lovely, elegant, delicious. B+/A-
>
> We did our usual 3-2-1 votes, Clos de Tart had commanding lead (26), followed by Grivot (17) Dujac (12),. Chevillon (5) and Bouchard & Drouhin (1 each). Fun night, good food, great people
>

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Nice notes thanks. too bad about the Moreau. I was a little surprised by the Clos de Tart I will open a bottle soon and revisit.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, August 24, 2015 at 9:29:34 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:

> Nice notes thanks. too bad about the Moreau. I was a little surprised by the Clos de Tart I will open a bottle soon and revisit.

The thing about Premox is of course you can never tell. This is only my second bad 2007 Moreau.

Clos de Tart is one of my perennial answers in the hypothetical "what GC vineyards should be downgraded" but this was lovely. And perfectly ready (which is what I expect of 2000s, was surprised by Dujac and Jadot)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 10:49:46 AM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
> On Monday, August 24, 2015 at 9:29:34 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
>

> > Nice notes thanks. too bad about the Moreau. I was a little surprised by the Clos de Tart I will open a bottle soon and revisit.

> The thing about Premox is of course you can never tell. This is only my second bad 2007 Moreau.
>
> Clos de Tart is one of my perennial answers in the hypothetical "what GC vineyards should be downgraded" but this was lovely. And perfectly ready (which is what I expect of 2000s, was surprised by Dujac and Jadot)

The Dujac was a surprise to me as well. I'm usually unwhelmed by CdT and I understand the ownership issues.