Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2007 Radikon Jakot - a radical "Orange Wine"

2007 Radikon Jakot ***

On friday I will visit Gravner who is famous for their Amfora orange wine. 500 meters form there is Radikon who is known for having the strangest orange wine: The Jakot.

I might visit them too, but I dont have an appointment yet. Just in case, I bought the Jakot in the supermarket. it is 20E for a 50cl bottle, which is considered expensive for a local bottle. (the Fruili/collio region)

The color is best described by showing you:

https://scontent-mxp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7c&oe=56513F61

If it works.

cloudy amber orange . Definitely unfiltered. Scent of petroleum, nuts, and tropical fruits.

Taste was very nutty with hints of hay and petroleum, tropical fruits, lingering finish and very sour. the sourness detracted. if you take away that , it reminded me of Tondonia. It could have been a 5 star wine if they controlled that acid.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael Nielsen wrote:
> 2007 Radikon Jakot ***
>
> On friday I will visit Gravner who is famous for their Amfora orange
> wine. 500 meters form there is Radikon who is known for having the
> strangest orange wine: The Jakot.
>
> I might visit them too, but I dont have an appointment yet. Just in
> case, I bought the Jakot in the supermarket. it is 20E for a 50cl
> bottle, which is considered expensive for a local bottle. (the
> Fruili/collio region)
>
> The color is best described by showing you:
>
> https://scontent-mxp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7c&oe=56513F61
>

> If it works.
>
> cloudy amber orange . Definitely unfiltered. Scent of petroleum,
> nuts, and tropical fruits.
>
> Taste was very nutty with hints of hay and petroleum, tropical
> fruits, lingering finish and very sour. the sourness detracted. if
> you take away that , it reminded me of Tondonia. It could have been a
> 5 star wine if they controlled that acid.

The so-called "orange wines" are definitely an acquired taste. Because
of their extended skin contact, they have substantial tannins and can
require some years of aging. They also shouldn't be served as cold as a
white wine would. I also find a resemblance to Tondonia. They need
food to show their best, something like assorted charcuterie/salume.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 6:43:15 AM UTC+2, Mark Lipton wrote:
> The so-called "orange wines" are definitely an acquired taste. Because
> of their extended skin contact, they have substantial tannins and can
> require some years of aging. They also shouldn't be served as cold as a
> white wine would. I also find a resemblance to Tondonia. They need
> food to show their best, something like assorted charcuterie/salume.
>
> Mark Lipton

well, Im trying to make the wines (white, red, port alike) hit 18C - the room is 30C, and the fridge is 10C so I keep it in the fridge and take it out a bit before eating.

On second day this wine improved a lot, so I suspect it could use more aging. The acidity integrated into some whole grain flavors. i'd say it is **** on day two.

Will be interesting to taste Radikon's other wines on Friday.