Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Wines around the Hudson Valley (Loire, MSR, Chablis, Greece,Alsace, etc)

Wednesday we had grilled sockeye (in a roughly teriyaki marinade- kecap manis, ginger, ponzu), corn, and a green salad, with the 2009 Desvignes "Javernieres" Morgon. Takes a little while to open, red fruits, cocoa, balanced and long, just the thing on a nice night on patio. B+

Thursday was quinoa and wild rice topped with napa and turnip kimchees and splcy Chinese broccoli, and the 2004 JJ Prum Graccher Himmelreich Riesling Spatlese. Just a bit of Prum matchstick, blows off, what is below is drinking well now. Balanced acids, fresh, citrus and peach fruit, just a hint of petrol, slatey/minerally finish. Yum. A-/B+

Friday after work we headed north, where we met old friends at Boscobel in Garrison. Hard to describe how perfect weather was- 70s, low humidity, light breeze,cloudless skies. Incredible setting, and we looked out at river and West Point on far side- and a succession of parachutists apparently practicing for ball delivery to the stadium. Betsy had made a great lobster salad; Rachel brought a delicious black rice and vegetable salad, watermelon & feta, & green salad. And the wines:

NV Bremont "Cuvee Prestige" Grand Cru Brut Champagne
New release. Full, rich, young, with herb, dough, and citrus zest notes. Seriously good NV Champagne. A-

2007 Pinson "le Clos" Chablis GC
Full, good acids, goes well with the food, I enjoy yet find it not especially exciting. More good Chardonnay than great Chablis. B/B+
'
2010 Concha y Toro Castillero Del Diablo Carmenere
Medium bodied, some rather drying tannins, low acid, red fruit and green pepper. B-/C+

We were spending the night at our friends' place in Beacon, when we got there Joe offered the 2011 Chronic "Dead Nuts" Zinfandel. You know, if I'm going to drink ripe/jammy Zin, it might as well be in place of late night port. This is jammy and sweet, but there is an interesting herb/spice note, and I like it more than expected. B/B-

We picked up squid and maitakes at Garrison farmers market before returning home Sat, once again Betsy made fried calamari/shrooms/lemon over arugala. While she was cooking we had a glass of the 2013 Kir-Yianni " Akakies" rose. Candied red fruits, modest acids, a little burn on finish, this isn't my style of rose. C+

Luckily, the white was better. The 2010 Pepiere "Ch.Thebaud - Clos des Morines" Muscadet is a stunner- vibrant acids, full and long, saline and mineral, crisp. A-
Sunday Betsy roasted a turkey breast (mostly for freezing for lunches), served with spaghetti with tomatoes and maitake, caprese, and a kale/arugula salad. Wine was the
2001 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling. On the one hand I quite enjoyed this- dry yet with sweet pit fruit flavors, citrus, a touch of petrol. But this was more advanced than I expected, and this particular bottle I'd call fully mature- scary. B+?