Posted to alt.food.wine

Default A partial explanation for cork taint

From a recent study published in Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. (USA):

http://m.phys.org/news/2013-09-odor-...-bad-wine.html

It is interesting that TCA actually mutes our sense of smell, which also
accounts for the phenomenon of "fruit scalping" when low levels of TCA
are present.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > writes:

> From a recent study published in Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. (USA):
>
> http://m.phys.org/news/2013-09-odor-...-bad-wine.html
>
> It is interesting that TCA actually mutes our sense of smell, which also
> accounts for the phenomenon of "fruit scalping" when low levels of TCA
> are present.

I feel like we wine drinkers already knew this. I mean it is a
well-known property of cork taint that not only do you have the wet
cardboard flavor, but the other flavors that _should_ be there aren't.

So the logical conclusion is that either TCA somehow magically
destroys other flavors, or it suppreses our ability to taste them.

Note this well-known band-aid (hah) for cork taint:

http://blog.sfgate.com/wine/2009/04/...r-corked-wine/

I've tried it and I swear it helps. Brought an undrinkable
Savenierres up to drinkable, if not great.

But I haven't seen any blind tests.

In any case, when you do this two things happen: the must carboard
abates some, and other flavors come back some.

Without any explanation... jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 137 05-12-2013 10:31 AM
Speaking of cork taint... Bi!! Wine 5 01-05-2009 04:53 PM
Cork taint is caused by loose fitting corks. BBC reports. IanH Wine 7 18-04-2009 04:25 PM
Explanation for word "vinotheque" Taavi Sepp Wine 17 15-06-2005 08:21 AM
A possible remedy for cork taint? Mark Lipton Wine 9 02-01-2004 06:02 PM